Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demoncrat 11th March 2015 02:25 PM

Read the Sontaran Experiment novel. Easily one of the more "altered" novelisations imo.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th March 2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 439013)
Read the Sontaran Experiment novel. Easily one of the more "altered" novelisations imo.

It's by Ian Marter. Not one of the typical Terence Dicks 128 pages then stop jobs.

Susan Foreman 11th March 2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 439013)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 439014)
It's by Ian Marter. Not one of the typical Terence Dicks 128 pages then stop jobs.

So when they transport down from Nerva Beacon, and land on the planet, they do not arrive with a "wheezing, groaning sound"?

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th March 2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 439077)
So when they transport down from Nerva Beacon, and land on the planet, they do not arrive with a "wheezing, groaning sound"?

:lol:

That's copyright don't you know?

Demoncrat 12th March 2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 439077)

Tis a "raucous groaning" noise according to Mr M. Sea Devils I can sort of see as "having the head of a tortoise" nae Sontarans....still, was enjoyable.

Susan Foreman 19th March 2015 09:06 PM

This is disappointing

The Underwater Menace DVD "Removed From Schedule" | Kasterborous Doctor Who News and Reviews

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 440551)

That happened in February. Way behind with their news.

Susan Foreman 23rd March 2015 05:33 PM

Radio Times | TV news and guide, TV and radio listings, film reviews guide - Doctor Who fans to be set a computer "challenge" in series nine

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 05:30 PM

Looking at our new 'Cult Birthdays' feature at the bottom of the main page, apparently it's Patrick Troughton's birthday today. So, with that in mind, what are everyone's fave Troughton stories?

For me, The Web of Fear would be in the running for one of his best, and is actually the first Who book I ever read when I borrowed it from the library when I was about 8 years old.

Mojo 25th March 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 441427)
Looking at our new 'Cult Birthdays' feature at the bottom of the main page, apparently it's Patrick Troughton's birthday today. So, with that in mind, what are everyone's fave Troughton stories?

For me, The Web of Fear would be in the running for one of his best, and is actually the first Who book I ever read when I borrowed it from the library when I was about 8 years old.

Pat Troughton is one of my favourite Doctors. I'm really hoping some more of his stories are found....

As for my favourite, it would have to be The Invasion. Not only is it my fave Troughton, I also think it's the best ever Cybermen story, too.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 441432)
As for my favourite, it would have to be The Invasion. Not only is it my fave Troughton, I also think it's the best ever Cybermen story, too.

My favourite is Tomb of the Cybermen - incidentally also a Troughton story! :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 07:13 PM

So many goodies to choose from with Troughton.

From the stories available on dvd -

It's a close run thing but i think The Invasion just sneaks in ahead of The Seeds of Death.

The Power of the Daleks is probably my favourite overall but i only have the tv soundtrack cd's for that so it's difficult to really rank it without seeing it on the screen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 07:44 PM

Here's my rank of dvd available stories featuring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor.

1- The Invasion
2- The Seeds of Death
3- The War Games
4- The Web of Fear
5- The Two Doctors
6- The Tomb of the Cybermen
7- The Krotons
8- The Dominators
9- The Ice Warriors
10- The Moonbase
11 - The Enemy of the World
12- The Mind Robber

I've not included The Five Doctors in this list.

nosferatu42 25th March 2015 07:49 PM

Or the Three Doctors. The shame.;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 441449)
Or the Three Doctors. The shame.;)

:lol: I meant to place that just behind The Krotons but it slipped my mind.

I must have missed your contribution to the debate. :tongue1:

nosferatu42 25th March 2015 08:00 PM

I am currently in deep thought, gonna have a bath and ponder some, then will put mine up later.:)

nosferatu42 25th March 2015 10:08 PM

Still not seen Web or Enemy unfortunately, was waiting for a release with extras but doesn't look like it's gonna happen now.

My favourites that i've seen are.

1. The Three Doctors
2. Tomb of the Cybermen
3. The Mind Robber
4. The Krotons
5. The Ice warriors

The Three doctors i like because of the interaction with Pertwee, Omega and the dodgy monsters.
Tomb i prefer to Invasion,love the scene where the cybermen emerge,.Love the London scenes in Invasion but drags a bit because of the length.
The mind robber i rate because of the mad premise.
Krotons in my heart i know it's not amazing but this was the first Troughton i saw in a BBC Dr Who season when i was a kid so has nostalgic value.
Just remember enjoying the Ice warriors.
I like War Games a lot but it's just too long.:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 441517)
Krotons in my heart i know it's not amazing but this was the first Troughton i saw in a BBC Dr Who season when i was a kid so has nostalgic value.

Would that be The Five Faces of Doctor Who nos?

I saw that. It was my first taster of black and white stories.

nosferatu42 25th March 2015 10:24 PM

Yep, that's right Dem. :nod:
Being in 1981 it works out i was 6 at the time,it was my first viewing of b/w eps too.
The first Dr Who story i remember watching was Destiny of the Daleks on Tv, which explains why i've always fancied Romana II and Tom Baker is still probably my favourite Doctor.:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 441526)
Yep, that's right Dem. :nod:
Being in 1981 it works out i was 6 at the time,it was my first viewing of b/w eps too.
The first Dr Who story i remember watching was Destiny of the Daleks on Tv, which explains why i've always fancied Romana II and Tom Baker is still probably my favourite Doctor.:)

That was a story with some brilliant episode endings.

The Daleks crashing through the wall at the end of part one and Davros stirring at the end of part 2 were terrifying.

Then there was professor Kerensky being turned into a skeleton in City of Death. That shit me up no end.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 10:46 PM

That could be a bit of fun.

Which scenes in Doctor Who scared you as a child ? (or adult :happy:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Doctor getting his foot caught in the railway line as the train moves close from The Deadly Assassin was one moment. It's a bit creaky now especially the tiny train :rolleyes:

Also Eldrad's hand just sitting there in a lunch box in The Hand of Fear, was also frightening for young Dem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not even going to think about The Brain of Morbius which was my first full story. (I think i saw the odd episode of Pyramids of Mars and The Android Invasion).

All of that was bleeding terrifying for a 5 year old.

nosferatu42 25th March 2015 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The original Autons are still quite creepy i think.

Attachment 159991

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 441541)

Attachment 159991

I thought the ones in Rose were very effective as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2015 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure i saw much of The Seeds of Doom which finished off season 13 following Morbius.

I saw every episode until it's hiatus in 1989 after that. Starting with season 14 opener The Masque of Mandragora.

Those masks and scary catacombs are probably the beginning of my love for Gothic horror as well as what was to come in Doctor Who.

Mojo 26th March 2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 441541)

Attachment 159991

The original Autons were fantastic. I think the 'unfinished' look of their faces made them far more creepy than the ones in Rose.

The whole story scared the shit out of me as a kid. It was the very first Dr Who I ever watched and remains my favourite story to this day.

Hawkmonger 26th March 2015 08:29 AM

Favourite Troughten story?

Hands down The Invasion. Just a master class in slow burning thriller science fiction with an explosive last few episodes, memorable villain, great set pieces, UNIT's early days, the Cybermen actually being a threat for once (The scene's of them spilling out onto the streets still give's me chills), a brilliant set of performances from all involved. In fact it's a possible candidate for my favorite story of all Doctor Who.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 09:59 AM

Ten years ago Today.

2 Attachment(s)
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor, by the way, what's your name?

Rose Tyler: Rose.

The Doctor: Nice to meet you, Rose, - run for yer life!

Hawkmonger 26th March 2015 10:50 AM

Bloody hell. Ten years. Thats mad. I was 9 at the time.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 02:45 PM

Scariest Who? That's a tough one... like Nos42, I was also a little freaked out by the Autons with Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons being one of my first Who televised stories that I watched when I was about 6 or 7; I think I had trouble sleeping for a few nights after those!

My brother (who was 3 years younger than me) also got freaked out by the Daleks and presumably Davros in Genesis of the Daleks when he was roughly the same age and as a consequence wouldn't watch any Who involving Daleks for years afterwards.

Nu-Who is also extremely terrifying; but for completely different reasons... ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 02:46 PM

This is also an interesting article where scariest Who is concerned:

Top 5 Scariest Doctor Who Moments (Classic)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 441597)
Scariest Who? That's a tough one... like Nos42, I was also a little freaked out by the Autons with Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons being one of my first Who televised stories that I watched when I was about 6 or 7; I think I had trouble sleeping for a few nights after those!

My brother (who was 3 years younger than me) also got freaked out by the Daleks and presumably Davros in Genesis of the Daleks when he was roughly the same age and as a consequence wouldn't watch any Who involving Daleks for years afterwards.

You sure your only 31 B_E.

By my calculation if you saw the Auton stories on tv you're probably 51.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 441617)
You sure your only 31 B_E.

By my calculation if you saw the Auton stories on tv you're probably 51.

VHS via the medium of TV! ;)

Demoncrat 26th March 2015 04:45 PM

Brain Of Morbius
Seeds Of Doom
Ken Dodd
Horror Of Fang Rock

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 441620)
VHS via the medium of TV! ;)

VHS!..God you are old.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 441622)
Ken Dodd

:pound:

Demoncrat 26th March 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 441628)
:pound:

It's the teeeeeeth ahem.;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 441622)
Ken Dodd

I really like Delta and the Bannermen.

A fine action packed story with a guest actress, Sara Griffiths, who would have been my choice to replace Mel as the Doctor's companion.

Susan Foreman 26th March 2015 11:35 PM

Scariest 'Doctor Who' story, and no-one has mentioned 'Fenric' yet?