Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Inspector Abberline 15th January 2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517384)
Nonsense dreamed up by The New Adventures writers again. :rolleyes:

Although it probably fits in better with the Who universe ,than say he got pissed one night in Portsmouth with a bunch of sailors and ended up in tattoo parlour.

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517384)
Nonsense dreamed up by The New Adventures writers again. :rolleyes:

It was actually a fan-theory-thing a long time before the New (and missing) Adventure stories started

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 517387)
Although it probably fits in better with the Who universe ,than say he got pissed one night in Portsmouth with a bunch of sailors and ended up in tattoo parlour.

I dunno! Have you ever been drunk in Portsmouth with a bunch of sailors?

Oh, silly me - this is The Inspector I'm asking!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 517392)
I dunno! Have you ever been drunk in Portsmouth with a bunch of sailors?

Oh, silly me - this is The Inspector I'm asking!!

Exactly. He practically lives down the docks.

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 06:40 PM

No idea how long this will be available for...

"The Companion Volume - Free Download Paul Winter (Co-ordinator) on January 15th, 2017

This month's Doctor Who Magazine features a number of old DWAS publications. One of those mentioned is 'The Companion Volume" published by the Society in 1977. For a limited time, a PDF copy of this is available to download from our website, free-of-charge.

The file is 25mb in size so may take a few minutes to download. It is provided on the basis that it is for your personal use only and is not for reproduction, sale or onward distribution in any way. You will need a PDF reader to view the publication.

The Companion Volume is (c) DWAS and the respective contributors 2017, 1977. It was produced and edited by Jeremy Bentham on behalf of the Society

All DWAS downloads are scanned by Symantec prior to upload and are believed to be virus-free. However if you are in any doubt we advised you scan the item with your own anti-virus software before opening.

Download link: http://dwasonline.uk/The_Companion_Volume.pdf "

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 517398)

This month's Doctor Who Magazine features a number of old DWAS publications. One of those mentioned is 'The Companion Volume" published by the Society in 1977.

There's around 6 paragraphs on DWAS and what they thought of the show in 1977 (The mag features that year in a long article)

Both John Peel and Jan Rudzki slate the show. Peel hated The Invisible Enemy and Rudzki says of Horror of Fang Rock

Quote:

What has shocked me is the terrible way the programme is made and directed. The camera work is very primitive and unimaginative and it fails miserably as entertainment.
Absolutely no different to how people see the current format of the show. Things never change. Maybe in thirty years time we'll all think Sleep No More is as great as Horror of Fang Rock.

Doctor Who fans = Complete waste of space. :tongue1:

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 07:31 PM

Don't forget that 'The Deadly Assassin' was hated on first broadcast, and came bottom of a 'DWAS 1976 Poll'

It was only later, when the story was re-evaluated, that it emerged as being the classic that it now is regarded as

iank 15th January 2017 08:24 PM

Yeah but they were, frankly, dicks.

But what's far more irritating is fans who won't accept any criticism and endlessly drag out this tiresome stuff to try to counteract legitimate criticism of the current doggerel. :dance::rolleyes::wise:

trebor8273 15th January 2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517402)
There's around 6 paragraphs on DWAS and what they thought of the show in 1977 (The mag features that year in a long article)

Both John Peel and Jan Rudzki slate the show. Peel hated The Invisible Enemy and Rudzki says of Horror of Fang Rock

Absolutely no different to how people see the current format of the show. Things never change. Maybe in thirty years time we'll all think Sleep No More is as great as Horror of Fang Rock.

Doctor Who fans = Complete waste of space. :tongue1:

Same with star trek fans was watching a documetry about the next generation and people were moan about it saying its not star trek(at the time it came out),Picard is not kirk etc. Now its regarded as the better show and people imbrace that picard is different than kirk, now the same is happening with the new show,at least wait till its out before moaning. People moaned about enterprise saying it was shit even though they never watched an episode until after it was cancelled then they would moan about it being cancelled!

Fanboys are there own worst enemies most of the time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517433)
Same with star trek fans was watching a documetry about the next generation and people were moan about it saying its not star trek(at the time it came out),Picard is not kirk etc. Now its regarded as the better show and people imbrace that picard is different than kirk, now the same is happening with the new show,at least wait till its out before moaning. People moaned about enterprise saying it was shit even though they never watched an episode until after it was cancelled then they would moan about it being cancelled!

Fanboys are there own worst enemies most of the time.

Despite my liking of Picard and a few excellent episodes, the majority of The Next Generation was politically correct waffle that has dated really badly.

The original series is excellent television though.

I really enjoyed Enterprise, for the record.