Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517885)
talons of weng chiang

One of my favorite classic story's, with great period detail and atmosphere. Part sherlock Holmes part phantom of the opera, fu manchu with a little my fair lady throwing in

Great supporting characters in the form of Jago and Lightfoot and with giant rats, leela kicking ass and creepy midgets/ dummy's what's not too like.

Treb. I first saw this as a child. You'll never be able to appreciate how terrifying Mr. Sin was to me back then. Still gives me the creeps just thinking about it. I'm sure he was the reason i never liked scary doll films and in truth shied away from them until just recently. The little Peking Homonculus makes Chucky look like a doll from Play School.

tele1962 18th January 2017 09:29 PM

Just random Dem.

Also watched Hartnell's, The War Machines, again loved it.

PS
If it's OK to be a little deep here, i have found Dr Who again after all these years, it is complete escapism from a none too friendly world i think, it takes me back to simpler times when we had not a care........something i feel i had lost for quite some time. That was me being philosophical, apart from that it was bloody good and goes to show you do not have to spend millions for pure innocent entertainment.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 517892)
Just random Dem.

Also watched Hartnell's, The War Machines, again loved it.

PS
If it's OK to be a little deep here, i have found Dr Who again after all these years, it is complete escapism from a none too friendly world i think, it takes me back to simpler times when we had not a care........something i feel i had lost for quite some time. That was me being philosophical, apart from that it was bloody good and goes to show you do not have to spend millions for pure innocent entertainment.

Really nicely put, tele. I feel the same. It's a great show, always has been and still is even though it's a very different beast in the 21st century.

I'm delighted you are enjoying it all over again.

I'm trying to make this thread, with all your help, something worthwhile again rather than just moans about new episodes. Hence the pics of the day and occasional requests for best and favourite what nots.

I watched the first four episodes of Frontier in Space last night for the first time in years and really enjoyed it. It's not often that Doctor Who goes full on space opera but it does here.

tele1962 18th January 2017 09:59 PM

Thanks Dem. I hope my none to in depth posts help, and if i can be of any more service let me know.:thankingyou:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 517904)
Thanks Dem. I hope my none to in depth posts help, and if i can be of any more service let me know.:thankingyou:

As someone discovering it all anew any thoughts you have no matter how random we'd love to hear.

Questions, opinions, mini reviews, pics, you name it.

gag 18th January 2017 10:14 PM

About 2yr ago i started watching doctor who right from the very start .
A lot i couldnt remember or forgot about. And highly enjoyed a lot of stories.
But depsite fact of how old it is and how dodgy it looks now its still classic tv at its best and proves no matter how times move and things get better, just goes to show if the show is better then even dodgy looking sets and effects wont stop you enjoying the shows, and stuff like this is like todays modern films they clearly just dont make them like they use to. Im more of a watcher than a follower eg sometimes comments just go over my head, there has been some great stories since it come back but the old doctor who is simple still miles better for tension atmosphere stories etc.
The empty child was absolutely excellent and very atmospheric and scary and doctor who at its best since its return.
And so was blink these are the type of stories i like to see than half of the recent stuff, irrelivant of who playing the doctor , because a lot of times ive been bored or lost interest quite recently.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2017 10:18 PM

A little while ago i entered a competition online which was basically a 'Show us Yours' of Doctor Who figures.

Although i do have quite a few my collection is pitiful in comparison to some entrants whose collection seemed like they owned every variation of every single figure multiple times.

As i couldn't take them on at that game i took various photos that were experimental so to speak of small groups of figures.

Anyway i just came across the pics again this evening and wondered if you wanted me to post some of them this weekend on this thread. Some, and i'm blowing my own trumpet here, look really impressive thanks to use of various lights (No picture manipulation from me it's all as was) and out door locations.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 517907)
About 2yr ago i started watching doctor who right from the very start .
A lot i couldnt remember or forgot about. And highly enjoyed a lot of stories.
But depsite fact of how old it is and how dodgy it looks now its still classic tv at its best and proves no matter how times move and things get better, just goes to show if the show is better then even dodgy looking sets and effects wont stop you enjoying the shows, and stuff like this is like todays modern films they clearly just dont make them like they use to. Im more of a watcher than a follower eg sometimes comments just go over my head, there has been some great stories since it come back but the old doctor who is simple still miles better for tension atmosphere stories etc.
The empty child was absolutely excellent and very atmospheric and scary and doctor who at its best since its return.
And so was blink these are the type of stories i like to see than half of the recent stuff, irrelivant of who playing the doctor , because a lot of times ive been bored or lost interest quite recently.

Did you see the David Tennant episode, Midnight, gag? That was a genuinely unnerving modern episode and one of the best since it returned. All set in one small location with a small cast including Patrick Troughton's son David and soon to be Merlin, Colin Morgan, as well as an excellent performance from Lesley Sharp.

nosferatu42 18th January 2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517909)
A little while ago i entered a competition online which was basically a 'Show us Yours' of Doctor Who figures.

Although i do have quite a few my collection is pitiful in comparison to some entrants whose collection seemed like they owned every variation of every single figure multiple times.

As i couldn't take them on at that game i took various photos that were experimental so to speak of small groups of figures.

Anyway i just came across the pics again this evening and wondered if you wanted me to post some of them this weekend on this thread. Some, and i'm blowing my own trumpet here, look really impressive thanks to use of various lights (No picture manipulation from me it's all as was) and out door locations.

Go for it Dem, sounds interesting.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 517912)
Go for it Dem, sounds interesting.:nod:

I'll stick some of them up on the thread this weekend then. They'll need resizing and sorting the wheat from the chaff so give me a day or so.