Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2012 05:30 PM

Episode two of Day of the Daleks keeps up the good work and ups the ante.

Towards the end of the episode a platoon of Ogrons attack the house and have an action packed full scale battle with UNIT soldiers. The new effects really add to these scenes and puts the viewer in the heat of the battle.

Marvellous stuff.

Mojo 3rd January 2012 05:44 PM

I enjoyed the 'new' Day Of The Daleks too, although I wouldn't want this 'update' of all old stories.

Having said that, I watched Kinda over the weekend and the inclusion of the CGI snake at the end topped off this excellent story.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 207289)
I enjoyed the 'new' Day Of The Daleks too, although I wouldn't want this 'update' of all old stories.

Having said that, I watched Kinda over the weekend and the inclusion of the CGI snake at the end topped off this excellent story.

Agreed on both counts.

Day works as it was painfully obvious initially that it had major budget limitations, this is less prominent in most other stories.

I watched Kinda in the weeks leading up to Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hindle was brilliantly deranged and pretty scary as his actions were so unpredictable. As you say the snake redesign makes it a lot more fearsome than the original rubber creature.

Going back to watch Snakedance after Day of the Daleks.

Demoncrat 4th January 2012 10:11 AM

know this is a bit late, but wasnt the xmas episode just a confusing mess?
painful to watch to my mind....i never learn:laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 207366)
know this is a bit late, but wasnt the xmas episode just a confusing mess?
painful to watch to my mind....i never learn:laugh:

The next series has to be a bit more (casual) viewer friendly, no daft story arcs and hopefully one off adventures like the good old days with some old classic monsters.

The Daleks and Cybermen especially, need to be reinvented as fearsome shitkickers again. I thought the Cybermen just became cannon fodder during series 6.

To be fair Moffat has said this is the way they are going, with some new old enemies. He does tend to talk nonsense though.

Demoncrat 4th January 2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 207370)
The next series has to be a bit more (casual) viewer friendly, no daft story arcs and hopefully one off adventures like the good old days with some old classic monsters.

The Daleks and Cybermen especially, need to be reinvented as fearsome shitkickers again. I thought the Cybermen just became cannon fodder during series 6.

To be fair Moffat has said this is the way they are going, with some new old enemies. He does tend to talk nonsense though.

indeed. his constant "...this frightened ME as a child, so itl scare YOU"...spiel is growing very tired.

on a slightly more jovial note i received a soft toy talking Dalek, which now sits on my 3 Doctors box! ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 207375)
on a slightly more jovial note i received a soft toy talking Dalek, which now sits on my 3 Doctors box! ahem.

Very nice. :thumb:

I want a cuddly Dalek :cry:

Demoncrat 4th January 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 207377)
Very nice. :thumb:

I want a cuddly Dalek :cry:

awww.....it's actually a keyring!
pity its blue is all....

Susan Foreman 4th January 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 207382)
awww.....it's actually a keyring!
pity its blue is all....

Nowt wrong with blue Daleks (other than their use in the 2010 UK general election campaign which featured Daleks in the colours of the three main British political parties. Obviously, the Blue Daleks represented the Conservatives!)

'Victory of the Daleks'

'Dr Who and the Daleks'

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 207393)
Nowt wrong with blue Daleks (other than their use in the 2010 UK general election campaign which featured Daleks in the colours of the three main British political parties. Obviously, the Blue Daleks represented the Conservatives!)

'Victory of the Daleks'

'Dr Who and the Daleks'

I absolutely love Daleks. I think they are the reason i fell in love with the show in the seventies. I know some people think they have been overused in the new series, but not me.

Demoncrat 4th January 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 207393)

'Victory of the Daleks'

'Dr Who and the Daleks'

haha. im an Aberdeen FC fan, does this explain why i wouldnt like BLUE daleks?? :pound::pound::pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 207408)
haha. im an Aberdeen FC fan, does this explain why i wouldnt like BLUE daleks?? :pound::pound::pound:

I bet you can't wait for the green and white hoop design then. ;)

Mojo 6th January 2012 11:31 AM

I thought the Christmas episode was pretty enjoyable ( certainly much better than last year's ) but I must admit I'm gettimg pretty sick of the slushy endings which seem to have infested the last series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 207370)

Agreed Demdike. Sometimes I feel they chuck in the Cybermen because they've got the costumes lying around. It would be nice to give them a proper story again. I feel the series needs to return to its roots a bit more. A few more Earth invasions would be nice. The return of an old monster like the Zygons would be excellent.

wayfarer 6th January 2012 12:35 PM

I agree with a number of the comments above. I enjoyed the special because I switched my brain off and didn't seem to notice the glaring plot devices. At the beginning, wasn't the Doctor protected by the suit he was wearing? I forget...

I'd like Moffat to deliver, properly, what he promised; a return to old style Who with a story per week instead of a series long arc. It can be smart, complicated and didactic but have more impact. The emotional stuff has had it's day.

The recent Day of the Daleks release was excellent and a great improvement over the original that had no budget to fulfill an ambitious story.
They should do the same with Blake's 7. I could live with a CGI Liberator ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2012 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 207790)
The return of an old monster like the Zygons would be excellent.

A return for the Zygons would really make my day.

Did you ever read the BBC novel The Bodysnatchers?

A terrific story set in the Victorian era, which also features Professor Litefoot from The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Well worth picking up if you can find one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 207799)

Do you recall the last episode of series 2. ?

The episode Star One built up to be a huge space battle between the Federation, helped by the Liberator, against the aliens from the Andromeda galaxy. The ships looked like bits of cutlery thrown together and not a shot was fired onscreen then the episode ended. - bastards. This scene with added action would be brilliant as a cgi effect.

Mojo 6th January 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

I'd like Moffat to deliver, properly, what he promised; a return to old style Who with a story per week instead of a series long arc. It can be smart, complicated and didactic but have more impact. The emotional stuff has had it's day.

Yip. There's no doubt Moffat + co can deliver ( The Silence are a terrific monster ) but to me it seems it's being geared more and more towards American audiences ( isn't it part funded by the US these days? ) I'm hoping Moffat can steer it back to its roots a bit more for the next series...

Demdike - I did indeed read The Bodysnatchers when it first came out. It was excellent and quite adult in tone as well, as I remember. A Zygon tv show along these lines would be very welcome.

Andra Jai 6th January 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

The recent Day of the Daleks release was excellent and a great improvement over the original that had no budget to fulfill an ambitious story.

Blakes 7 series 1-4 all remastered with the option of updated cgi effects and released on Blu-ray.

Personally I would pay an obscene amount of money for that.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th January 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 207800)
A return for the Zygons would really make my day.

Did you ever read the BBC novel The Bodysnatchers?

A terrific story set in the Victorian era, which also features Professor Litefoot from The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Well worth picking up if you can find one.

I have that. One of my favourite 'lost adventures' (?) - if that's what they were called!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 207882)
I have that. One of my favourite 'lost adventures' (?) - if that's what they were called!

When news of the revamped series broke, the BBC called time on those books.

I started collecting them when they first appeared but eventually gave up as, at a rate of two per month it was easy to get left behind. However cheap bookseller / stationer, The Works got most of them in stock when the last one had been published and i picked up most of the ones i didn't own at £1.50 each. I spent about £60 on them. Most remain unread as of yet. :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th January 2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 207895)
When news of the revamped series broke, the BBC called time on those books.

I started collecting them when they first appeared but eventually gave up as, at a rate of two per month it was easy to get left behind. However cheap bookseller / stationer, The Works got most of them in stock when the last one had been published and i picked up most of the ones i didn't own at £1.50 each. I spent about £60 on them. Most remain unread as of yet. :lol:

I have about half a dozen of them. Never realised The Works had them though - I bought mine from Waterstones for about £6 a piece! :doh:

wayfarer 7th January 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 207803)
Do you recall the last episode of series 2. ?

The episode Star One built up to be a huge space battle between the Federation, helped by the Liberator, against the aliens from the Andromeda galaxy. The ships looked like bits of cutlery thrown together and not a shot was fired onscreen then the episode ended. - bastards. This scene with added action would be brilliant as a cgi effect.

Yeah, it was pitiful, but they really did have a zero budget. Much of the money went on sets and location dressing. Very little went on VFX. I recall some of the Liberator space scenes being animated anyway, so purists shouldn't get too upset if anything is done this way in the future.

wayfarer 7th January 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 207878)
Blakes 7 series 1-4 all remastered with the option of updated cgi effects and released on Blu-ray.

Personally I would pay an obscene amount of money for that.

If ever a production company did a "Star Trek" with it, I'd be very pleased. I doubt it'll ever happen; it'd be one helluva lot of work:lol:

Andra Jai 7th January 2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 207982)
If ever a production company did a "Star Trek" with it, I'd be very pleased. I doubt it'll ever happen; it'd be one helluva lot of work:lol:

To be honest I'd even just be glad to have it remastered on blu-ray even without redone effects that would do me for the time being.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th January 2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 208014)
To be honest I'd even just be glad to have it remastered on blu-ray even without redone effects that would do me for the time being.

You'll be lucky.

When the dvd's were initially released they had no fanfare whatsoever. Admittedly series 2 had a free model Liberator with it, but the final two series were just released without publicity.

Demoncrat 9th January 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 207982)

hmmm. after seeing how they "updated" ST, i wouldnt wish that on ANY cult programme ahem, jmo!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2012 12:18 PM

Episode 3 of Day of the Daleks is very good.

Not much in the way of action except a daft chase on a moonbuggy, but the Daleks take centre stage and the impressive new voice work from Nick Briggs certainly adds some new series menace to them.

Good use is also made of the Blade Runner style cityscapes.

Susan Foreman 9th January 2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 208255)
Good use is also made of the Blade Runner style cityscapes.

But 'Day of the Daleks' was made 10 years before 'Blade Runner'!

Incidentally, do you think that there obvious similarites between 'DOTD' and 'The Terminator', which was 12 years later

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 208266)
But 'Day of the Daleks' was made 10 years before 'Blade Runner'!

Incidentally, do you think that there obvious similarites between 'DOTD' and 'The Terminator', which was 12 years later

But the new effects were done thirty years after Blade Runner :nod:

You do have a point about The Terminator though, never thought of it like that before, or seen any other mention of its similarities.

Susan Foreman 9th January 2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 208267)
But the new effects were done thirty years after Blade Runner :nod:

But where 'Dr Who' is concerned, I am a purist, and therefore I don't really bother with the new (and improved?) versions of the stories, instead chosing to watch the 'proper' versions on the DVDs

I prefer to watch them as they were originally transmitted

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2012 01:09 PM

Its just a new take on an old classic that i have seen many times on vhs.

I can't really see how you can prefer those awful Dalek voices in the original to the latest ones.

Susan Foreman 9th January 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 208272)
I can't really see how you can prefer those awful Dalek voices in the original to the latest ones.

Admittedly, the Dalek voices do let things down a tad!

Apparently, the Daleks were not in the original draft scripts for this story, and the Ogrons were the central monsters, which carried the title 'The Ghost Hunters', and was written by Louis Marks. The Daleks were supposed to return at the end of the 9th series, in a story entitled 'The Daleks in London'. However, this plan was scrapped when the production staff realised that the show would not have a hook to entice viewers - the 7th series started with the introduction of Jon Pertwee, and the 8th series saw the introduction of The Master. It was also thought that 'The Daleks in London' would be too similar to 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth'. Instead, Marks was asked to re-write 'The Ghost Hunters' so that it would include the Daleks.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th January 2012 12:02 PM

The latest Doctor Who magazine has an extensive article on the two newly found missing episodes.

The next issue is all about the search for missing episodes, sounds very interesting.

Mojo 13th January 2012 07:14 PM

Recently watched Invasion Of The Dinosaurs on dvd. It's a pity that many people ( including me ) have, in the past focussed on the crappy dinosaur models, as this is a decent tale. The first episode in particular must rank as one of the best ( including a surprisingly gory corpse ). The story itself is a bit bonkers but it's very enjoyable just the same. Glad to see more of Pertwee's stories finally getting released.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 208704)
The latest Doctor Who magazine has an extensive article on the two newly found missing episodes.

The next issue is all about the search for missing episodes, sounds very interesting.

Certainly does. The feeling seems to be that more episodes will be found. Here's hoping. Anyone got Fury From The Deep stored in their attic? :pray:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2012 07:24 PM

Have you watched The Android Invasion yet Mojo?

I really liked that on vhs.

Mojo 13th January 2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 209114)
Have you watched The Android Invasion yet Mojo?

I really liked that on vhs.

Yeah - I enjoyed this one too. I remeber the 'robot Sarah' cliffhanger had everyone talking when it was first shown! The 'eye patch' scene at the end is also talked about but for different reasons!

There's a great interview with Philip Hinchcliffe ( still my favourite ever Dr Who producer ) on the dvd, talking about all the stuff he's done for the Beeb ( and others ). We really need to see Target on dvd.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 209122)
Yeah - I enjoyed this one too. I remeber the 'robot Sarah' cliffhanger had everyone talking when it was first shown! The 'eye patch' scene at the end is also talked about but for different reasons!

There's a great interview with Philip Hinchcliffe ( still my favourite ever Dr Who producer ) on the dvd, talking about all the stuff he's done for the Beeb ( and others ). We really need to see Target on dvd.

I think i read about this interview in Doctor Who magazine. This was the interview he wasn't going to do unless he could talk about his other work. I read he was fed up of doing endless Dr Who features.

Nemesis 13th January 2012 08:04 PM

Finally got round to finishing the Curse of Peladon; I enjoyed it much more than I originally thought I would (the romantic sappiness of the first episode made me groan!). I would have like to have seen more Arcturus or at least more of his species in other stories - I liked his design and the voice behind him.

Just started on the Monster of Peladon; also got the UNIT tales this week.

Has anyone checked out Tom Baker's first Big Finish story, Destination Nerva?

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 209146)
Finally got round to finishing the Curse of Peladon; I enjoyed it much more than I originally thought I would (the romantic sappiness of the first episode made me groan!). I would have like to have seen more Arcturus or at least more of his species in other stories - I liked his design and the voice behind him.

Just started on the Monster of Peladon; also got the UNIT tales this week.

Has anyone checked out Tom Baker's first Big Finish story, Destination Nerva?

I prefer Monster of Peladon. Probably 'cos the Ice Warriors are back to being bad mf's.

Speaking of Ice Warriors. Dan Abnett's novel The Silent Stars go By is a decent read. He captures the latest Tardis team very well and the Ice Warriors are pretty formidable so far. Got about 100 pages to go.

RedEyeTheCylon 13th January 2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 209109)
Recently watched Invasion Of The Dinosaurs on dvd. It's a pity that many people ( including me ) have, in the past focussed on the crappy dinosaur models, as this is a decent tale. The first episode in particular must rank as one of the best ( including a surprisingly gory corpse ). The story itself is a bit bonkers but it's very enjoyable just the same. Glad to see more of Pertwee's stories finally getting released.

Have they colourised Invasion of the Dinosaurs episode 1 for the DVD? It's just that when they originally announced that it was going to be released, I'm sure I read somewhere that they weren't going to bother due to budgetary reasons.