Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Mojo 21st February 2012 07:15 PM

Having both The Ice Warriors and Shada on dvd would be very welcome indeed!

Susan Foreman 22nd February 2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 218751)
All very exiting, shall I take it The Ice Warriors is also getting the re-animation treatment? :dance:

To be honest, I don't know

As far as I'm aware, the animation team are working on the Hartnell story 'The Reign of Terror' at the moment

The old VHS release of 'The Ice Warriors' featured telesnaps instead of moving images to cover the missing episodes, so it's possible that this is what is going to happen with the DVD - similar to the presentation of 'Marco Polo' on the 'The Edge of Destruction' DVD

RedEyeTheCylon 22nd February 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 218751)
All very exiting, shall I take it The Ice Warriors is also getting the re-animation treatment? :dance:

If we're very lucky, the missing Ice Warrior episodes might not need to be animated. At the moment there's a rumour that a set of viewing prints for the Ice Warriors were sent to a German TV station in 1968 which could potentially still exist. It's still under investigation at the moment but hopefully something might come out of it so keep you're fingers crossed!

Susan Foreman 22nd February 2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 218987)
If we're very lucky, the missing Ice Warrior episodes might not need to be animated. At the moment there's a rumour that a set of viewing prints for the Ice Warriors were sent to a German TV station in 1968 which could potentially still exist

Sadly, I think the keyword here is 'potentially'

Knowing German efficiency, I would imagine they were returned to the BBC as soon as they had been finished with

Obviously, I would LOVE to be proved wrong about this

Mojo 22nd February 2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

If we're very lucky, the missing Ice Warrior episodes might not need to be animated. At the moment there's a rumour that a set of viewing prints for the Ice Warriors were sent to a German TV station in 1968 which could potentially still exist. It's still under investigation at the moment but hopefully something might come out of it so keep you're fingers crossed!

That would be great if it's true. Certainly since the discovery of the most recent two episodes, it has been stated that a number of new leads were being followed up, so maybe this is one of them. I would love to see more Troughton stuff being discovered :pray:

Hawkmonger 22nd February 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Indeed that would be most exiting.

Susan Foreman 25th February 2012 05:59 AM

According to a report on Blastr, The Zygons may be coming back for the new series

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 07:41 AM

That would be fantastic. The Zygons really are extremely under used villains, very Lovecraftien to, which is always a plus for me. Would love to see The Great Inteligence return as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 01:31 PM

After the last series and the way the Cybermen were wasted leaves me with no hopes for the next season.

Nemesis 25th February 2012 03:47 PM

Got my Revisitations 3 this week - saw Three Doctors. It was good but not as good as I thought it would be - I was hoping for more Pertwee/Troughton interaction which was pretty much missing from ep2 and a fair bit of ep 3, after the strength of ep 1. Always good to see more Hartnell (even though he could not star in that much of it).

Getting through the Seeds of Death - just finished ep 3. Really liking this story so far.

Susan Foreman 25th February 2012 04:41 PM

For the completists and collectors of 'Doctor Who' DVD's, this is a list of all the stories that have (AT TIME OF WRITING) been released:

Movies
‘Doctor Who and the Daleks’ (1965)
‘Daleks Invasion of Earth 2150AD’ (1966)

Sundries
Doctor Who Lost in Time – 3 disc set
Doctor Who – The Infinite Quest – Animated story
Doctor Who - Dreamland - Animated story
Torchwood – The Complete 1st Series – 7 disc set
Torchwood – The Complete 2nd Series - 5 disc set
Torchwood - Children of Earth - 2 disc set
Torchwood - Miracle Day - 3 disc set
The Sarah-Jane Adventures – The Complete 1st Series – 2 disc set
The Sarah-Jane Adventures - The Complete 2nd Series - 4 disc set
The Sarah-Jane Adventures - The Complete 3rd Series - 2 disc set
The Sarah-Jane Adventures - The Complete 4th Series - 2 disc set
K-9 and Co
K-9 - Series 1, Vol 1 - 2 disc set
K-9 - Series 1, Vol 2 - 2 disc set

William Hartnell
1 – An Unearthly Child
2 – The Daleks
3 – The Edge of Destruction
5 - The Keys of Marinus
6 – The Aztecs
7 - The Sensorites
10 – The Dalek Invasion of Earth – 2 disc set
11 - The Rescue
12 - The Romans
13 – The Web Plane
15 - The Space Museum
16 - The Chase - 2 disc set
17 – The Time Meddler
23 - The Ark
25 - The Gunfighters
27 – The War Machines

Patrick Troughton
37 – Tomb of the Cybermen
37b - Tomb of the Cybermen - 2 disc set
44 - The Dominators
45 – The Mind Robber
46 – The Invasion – 2 disc set
48 – The Seeds of Death – 2 disc set
48b - The Seeds of Death - 2 disc set
50 - The War Games - 3 disc set

Jon Pertwee
51 – Spearhead from Space
51b - Spearhead from Space
52 – Doctor Who and the Silurians – 2 disc set
54 – Inferno – 2 disc set
55 - Terror of the Autons
57 – The Claws of Axos
58 - Colony in Space
60 - Day of the Daleks - 2 disc set
61 - The Curse of Peladon
62 – The Sea Devils
63 - The Mutants - 2 disc set
64 - The Time Monster
65 – The Three Doctors
65b - The Three Doctors - 2 disc set
66 – Carnival of Monsters
66b - Carnival of Monsters - 2 disc set
67 - Frontier in Space - 2 disc set
68 - Planet of the Daleks - 2 disc set
69 – The Green Death – 2 disc set
70 – The Time Warrior
71 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs
73 - The Monster of Peladon - 2 disc
75 - Planet of the Spiders - 2 disc set

Tom Baker
75 – Robot
76 – The Ark in Space
77 – The Sontaran Experiment
78 – Genesis of the Daleks – 2 disc set
79 - Revenge of the Cybermen
81 – Planet of Evil
82 – The Pyramids of Mars
83 - The Android Invasion
84 – The Brain of Morbius
85 - The Seeds of Doom - 2 disc
86 - The Masque of Mandragora
87 – The Hand of Fear
88 - The Deadly Assassin
90 – The Robots of Death
90b - The Robots of Death
91 – The Talons of Weng Chiang – 2 disc set
91b - The Talons of Weng Chiang - 3 disc set
92 – Horror of Fang Rock
93 – The Invisible Enemy
94 - Image of the Fendhal
95 - The Sunmakers
96 - Underworld
97 – The Invasion of Time – 2 disc set
98 – The Ribos Operation
99 – The Pirate Planet
100 – The Stones of Blood
101 – The Androids of Tara
102 – The Power of Kroll
103 – The Armageddon Factor – 2 disc set
104 – Destiny of the Daleks
105 – City of Death – 2 disc set
106 - The Creature from the Pit
108 - The Horns of Nimon
110 – The Leisure Hive
111 - Meglos
112 - Full Circle
113 - State of Decay
114 - Warriors' Gate
115 – The Keeper of Traken
116 – Logopolis

Peter Davison
117 – Castrovalva
118 – Four to Doomsday
119 - Kinda
120 – The Visitation
121 – Black Orchid
122 – Earthshock
123 – Time Flight
124 – Arc of Infinity
125 - Snakedance
126 - Mawdryn Undead
127 - Terminus
128 - Enlightenment - 2 disc set
129 - The King's Demons'
130 - The Five Doctors – Single disc
130 – The Five Doctors [25th Anniversary Edition] – 2 disc set
131 – Warriors of the Deep
132 - The Awakening
133 - Frontios
134 – Resurrection of the Daleks
134b - Resurrection of the Daleks - 2 disc set
135 - Planet of Fire
136 – The Caves of Androzani
136b - The Caves of Androzani - 2 disc set

Colin Baker
137 - The Twin Dilemma
138 - Attack of the Cybermen
139 – Vengeance on Varos
140 – The Mark of the Rani
141 – The Two Doctors – 2 disc set
142 – Timelash
143 – Revelation of the Daleks
144 – The Trial of a Time Lord part 1 – 4: The Mysterious Planet
145 – The Trial of a Time Lord Part 5 – 8: Mindwarp
146 – The Trial of a Time Lord Part 9 – 12: Terror of the Vervoids
147 – The Trial of a Time Lord Part 13 – 14: The Ultimate Foe

Sylvester McCoy
148 - Time and the Rani
149 - Paradise Towers
150 - Delta and the Bannermen
152 – Remembrance of the Daleks
152 - Remembrance of the Daleks [2 disc special edition re-issue]
154 - Silver Nemesis
156 - Battlefield - 2 disc set
157 – Ghost Light
158 – The Curse of Fenric – 2 disc set
159 – Survival – 2 disc set

Paul McGann
160 – Doctor Who: The Movie
160b - Doctor Who: The Movie - 2 disc set

Christopher Eccleston
The Complete 1st [2005] Series – 5 disc set

David Tennent
The Complete 2nd [2006] Series – 6 disc set
The Complete 3rd [2007] Series – 6 disc set
The Complete 4th [2008] Series – 6 disc set
The Complete Specials [2009] - 5 disc set

Matt Smith
The Complete 5th [2010] Series - 6 disc set
The Complete 6th [2011] Series - 5 disc set

Notes:
Stories 1 - 3 were only available as the box set ‘Doctor Who: The Beginning’
Stories 11 & 12 were only available as a box set
Stories 15 & 16 were only available as a box set
Stories 25 & 132 were only available as the box set 'Earth Story'
Stories 37b, 65b and 90b were re-released with additional extra features as 'Revisitations 3'
Stories 40b, 66b & 134b were re-released with additional extra features as 'Revisitations 2'
Stories 51b & 55 were only available as the box set 'Mannequin Mania' - 51b contained additional extra features
Stories 52, 62 & 131 were only available as the box set ‘Beneath the Surface’
Stories 61 & 73 were only available as the box set 'Paladon Tales'
Stories 64, 96 & 108 were only available as the box set 'Myths and Legends'
Stories 67 & 68 were only available as the box set 'Dalek War'
Stories 70, 77, 97 & 141 were also released as the box set ‘Built for War’
Stories 71 & 83 were only available as the box set 'The UNIT Files'
Stories 91b, 136b and 160b were re-released with additional extra features as 'Revisitations 1'
Story 93 was only available as a box set ‘K-9 Tales’, with ‘K-9 and Co’
Stories 98 – 103 were only available as ‘The Key to Time’ box set
Stories 112 - 114 were only available as the box set 'The E-Space Trilogy'
Stories 115 - 117 were only available as the box set ‘New Beginnings’
Stories 119 & 125 were only available as the box set 'Mara Tales'
Stories 123 & 124 were only available as a box set
Stories 126 - 128 were only available as the box set 'The Black Guardian Trilogy'
Stories 129 & 135 were only available in the box set 'Kamelion Tales'
Stories 144 – 147 were only available as ‘The Trial of a Time Lord’ box set
Although released as separate stories, 78, 104, 134, 143 and 152 were also released as ‘The Davros’ box set which also included two extra discs – one with ‘The Davros Connection’ documentary and the other one of audio stories. The 'Davros Connection' documentary also appeared on the 2 disc release of 152 - 'Remembrance of the Daleks'

Complete stories that are still to be released:

William Hartnell
9 – Planet of Giants

Patrick Troughton
47 – The Krotons

Jon Pertwee
53 – The Ambassadors of Death
56 – The Mind of Evil
59 – The Daemons
72 – Death to the Daleks

Tom Baker
80 – Terror of the Zygons
89 – The Face of Evil
107 – Nightmare of Eden

Sylvester McCoy
148 – Dragonfire
150 – The Happiness Patrol
152 – The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

There are also a number of incomplete stories that I have no idea what they are going to do with:

’The Reign of Terror’ has episodes 4 & 5 missing. These are due to be animated, and the story released sometime during 2012
’The Tenth Planet’ the final episode missing. The VHS video release used telesnaps to complete the story
’The Ice Warriors’ has got episodes 2 & 3 missing. The VHS featured off-air audio recordings to cover the gaps
It is hoped that these missing episodes will also be animated

’Shada’ was never completed due to a BBC technicians strike. The VHS video contained linking narration for the missing segments. The story has also been re-told as an animated version on BBCi. Ian Levine announced on 8 September 2011 that his personally-funded reconstruction of all six episodes of the serial, using animation and recently-recorded vocal tracks to fill in missing parts of the story, had now been completed. However, the animation was rejected by 2Entertain, and it has been announced that the shot footage for the story will be released in 2012 with assorted Doctor Who material, including the 1993 documentary 'More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS.'

In December 2011, it was announced that two missing episodes had been located - episode 3 of 'Galaxy Four' and episode 2 of 'The Underwater Menace'. Again, it is currently uncertain as to how these episodes are going to be released. It has been suggested that there may be an updated version of 'Lost in Time', or a 'Lost in Time 2' or that they will be included as an extra feature with a forthcoming full Hartnell and Troughton release, or there will be a release featuring one of the incomplete Hartnell and Troughton releases, and they will be included there

Mojo 1st March 2012 05:50 PM

Having got the 'Revisitations 3' boxset last week, I watched The Robots Of Death again. I've always loved this one, but watching it in all its remastered glory truly shows what a classic story this is. Great sets and costumes, terrific performances and the coolest robots ever. Absolute classic.

Hawkmonger 1st March 2012 06:51 PM

I had forgoten about the Davros Boxset up until now.
Sad to say that after NuWho season 2 i fell out of getting the special editions on dvd/ Blu-ray. Shame really, they would have looked nice together.
I DO own the limited edition key to Time saga DVD collection though in a 3D shape like that of the Key to Time. It's rather awsome.

RedEyeTheCylon 2nd March 2012 09:12 PM

Death to the Daleks is now up for pre-order on Amazon to be released on 18th June:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007EAFV5...796%26page%3D3

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd March 2012 10:03 PM

Probably my favourite Dalek story. Can't wait.

I know it doesn't have many fans but i really like the location work in this story.

VicDakin 5th March 2012 05:32 PM

The actor Philip Madoc, who was born in Merthyr Tydfil, has died at the age of 77

5 Attachment(s)
The actor Philip Madoc, who was born in Merthyr Tydfil, has died at the age of 77

Great actor in a great Dr Who episode, rip

Hawkmonger 5th March 2012 06:22 PM

Alas, yet another nail in the coffin of great Who actors.
He played many other villains beside's Solon in tBoM, including The War Lord in the Troughton story The War games.
He also appeared in Who on three other occasions.
Firstly in the Krotons as Eelek, then in the T.Baker story The Power of Kroll as Fenner before voicing Victor Schaeffer in the Big Finish audio drama Master.
The man is also well known for appearing in UFO, Space: 1999, and Survivers.
I, however, best remember him as Commander Lutzig in the eternal episode of Dad's Army 'The deadly Attchament'.
Lutzig- I am making note's Cap-a-tain (!). And when we win ze war you will be taken into account.
Mainwaring- You can write all the note's you like your not gonna win this war....
Lutzig- Aw yez wve are!
...........I would go on, but, the rest of this seen has to be seen to be believed.:pound:
Utter legend, RIP.

Mojo 5th March 2012 07:09 PM

That's such sad news. He was a brilliant actor. RIP :(

Demoncrat 6th March 2012 11:38 AM

Ah, another one gone, a sad loss etc. RIP.

Nemesis 6th March 2012 12:58 PM

He was great in the War Games and Brain of Morbius. He was also terrific as Noel Bain in a Mind to Kill. Brilliant actor RIP.

Demoncrat 8th March 2012 01:51 PM

he's currently in Cadfael on BBC4Xtra btw, i forgot to say yesterday....

RedEyeTheCylon 16th March 2012 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cover art has now been released for Death to the Daleks:
Looks very nice!

Hawkmonger 16th March 2012 08:50 PM

Clearly Pertwees awsomeness is such that he can physically emit it in waves and this phenomena would appear to have the ability to make Daleks heads explode.:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th March 2012 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When i was a kid and had never seen Death to the Daleks, pictures like this made me think Exxilons set you on fire when they touched you.

How sadly wrong was i?

Mojo 17th March 2012 12:21 PM

Like Day Of The Daleks, it seems Death is going to have specially filmed new scenes and effects ( including Dalek voices ) :

Play.com - Buy Doctor Who: Death To The Daleks online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 224585)
Like Day Of The Daleks, it seems Death is going to have specially filmed new scenes and effects ( including Dalek voices ) :

Play.com - Buy Doctor Who: Death To The Daleks online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Thanks for the info Mojo, thats the first i've heard of that. I really liked the original effects anyway but the new ones should make it even better, especially the Dalek voices.

VicDakin 17th March 2012 02:24 PM

Pertwee

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 224585)

Im only really now catching up on the Pertwee years,so pardon my ignorance,how does these episodes compare with later dalek episodes?

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 224627)
Im only really now catching up on the Pertwee years,so pardon my ignorance,how does these episodes compare with later dalek episodes?

Do you mean later as in Davison, Baker and McCoy or Tennant, Smith etc.

I presume you mean the classic stuff as i recall reading you hadn't seen the new series.

VicDakin 17th March 2012 02:30 PM

Pertwee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 224629)
Do you mean later as in Davison, Baker and McCoy or Tennant, Smith etc.

I presume you mean the classic stuff as i recall reading you hadn't seen the new series.

Yeah i kind of stopped watching about the McCoy period,and only really buy the Davison, Baker and Pertwee periods,ive not watched any of the recent years :o

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 224630)
Yeah i kind of stopped watching about the McCoy period,and only really buy the Davison, Baker and Pertwee periods,ive not watched any of the recent years :o

Did you see the McCoy story Remembrance of the Daleks? Along with Colin Baker's Revelation of the Daleks it could be my favourite Dalek story ever.

Both stories have excellent production values, the McCoy story is action packed and the Baker one is grim as hell, involving Davros using suspended humans and turning them into a new Dalek race.

Davison's Resurrection of the Daleks is heavy with its death toll and is an enjoyable story.

Its difficult for me as i love Daleks and all their stories. I think the Hartnell adventure The Chase is the worst story but even that has a great climax with the Daleks fighting the Mechanoids.

I'll post some grabs from Revelation and Rememberance if you want.

VicDakin 17th March 2012 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

yeah very interested in checking these later episodes out,I have a slight Dalek fetish,I got the remote controled versions,and the other pic is outside Forbidden Planet in Bristol last year,I think ive just come out of the Dr Who closet ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 03:04 PM

The new gold design Daleks are excellent as are the green ones from Victory of the Daleks. The multi coloured ones i am less impressed with, however they were brilliant at the Doctor Who live show.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 03:51 PM

24 Attachment(s)
Remembrance of the Daleks Part 1

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 03:59 PM

13 Attachment(s)
The story gets better and better, here's some stills from the opening five minutes of episode 4.

I'm not giving any plot details away, just showing an action scene. Apparently the explosions were so big and loud alarms went off all over the surrounding streets.

Hopefully you can judge the effects from these pics Vic.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 04:45 PM

23 Attachment(s)
Revelation of the Daleks

Who violence at its best. At the time dear Mary was up in arms about the multiple graphic stabbings, including the emptying of the syringe into Jobel as he dies.

I've left out the best scene of the Dalek /human horror revelation as i hope you will pick the story up on dvd, its only around a fiver and is well worth it when you see Davros' creation.

Its a great story that includes grave robbing, contract killings and a huge nod to Soylent Green. In my opinion this is nowhere near child friendly Doctor Who and the series was put on hiatus after this and told to lighten up when it returned eighteen months later.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 04:47 PM

What are your thoughts after seeing the stills Vic?

VicDakin 17th March 2012 04:57 PM

dalek mayhem

1 Attachment(s)
Excellent still's Dems,looking forward to watching these

Mojo 17th March 2012 07:40 PM

Not fond of Remembrance, but Revelation Of The Daleks is one of the best Dalek stories ever IMO

mr 420 18th March 2012 12:21 AM

Who here knows how many times Mr Bronson from Grange Hill (Sorry, I can't think of his name and it's the only other thing I can remember him being in of the top of my head) has appeared in different stories with the various docs?

VicDakin 18th March 2012 11:08 AM

Michael Sheard

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 224716)
Who here knows how many times Mr Bronson from Grange Hill (Sorry, I can't think of his name and it's the only other thing I can remember him being in of the top of my head) has appeared in different stories with the various docs?

I cheated and just went to IMDB ;)

"Doctor Who" (17 episodes )
The Plague (12 March 1966) - Rhos
The Mind of Evil: Episode 1 (30 January 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 2 (6 February 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 3 (13 February 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 4 (20 February 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 6 (6 March 1971) - Dr. Summers
Pyramids of Mars: Part One (25 October 1975) - Laurence Scarman
Pyramids of Mars: Part Two (1 November 1975) - Laurence Scarman
Pyramids of Mars: Part Three (8 November 1975) - Laurence Scarman
The Invisible Enemy: Part 1 (1 October 1977) - Lowe
The Invisible Enemy: Part 2 (8 October 1977) - Supervisor Lowe
The Invisible Enemy: Part 3 (15 October 1977) - Supervisor Lowe
The Invisible Enemy: Part 4 (22 October 1977) - Supervisor Lowe
Castrovalva: Part 3 (11 January 1982) - Mergrave
Castrovalva: Part 4 (12 January 1982) - Mergrave
Remembrance of the Daleks: Part 1 (5 October 1988) - Headmaster H.Parson
Remembrance of the Daleks: Part 2 (12 October 1988) - Headmaster H, Parson.