Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 224747)
I cheated and just went to IMDB ;)

"Doctor Who" (17 episodes )
The Plague (12 March 1966) - Rhos
The Mind of Evil: Episode 1 (30 January 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 2 (6 February 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 3 (13 February 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 4 (20 February 1971) - Dr. Summers
The Mind of Evil: Episode 6 (6 March 1971) - Dr. Summers
Pyramids of Mars: Part One (25 October 1975) - Laurence Scarman
Pyramids of Mars: Part Two (1 November 1975) - Laurence Scarman
Pyramids of Mars: Part Three (8 November 1975) - Laurence Scarman
The Invisible Enemy: Part 1 (1 October 1977) - Lowe
The Invisible Enemy: Part 2 (8 October 1977) - Supervisor Lowe
The Invisible Enemy: Part 3 (15 October 1977) - Supervisor Lowe
The Invisible Enemy: Part 4 (22 October 1977) - Supervisor Lowe
Castrovalva: Part 3 (11 January 1982) - Mergrave
Castrovalva: Part 4 (12 January 1982) - Mergrave
Remembrance of the Daleks: Part 1 (5 October 1988) - Headmaster H.Parson
Remembrance of the Daleks: Part 2 (12 October 1988) - Headmaster H, Parson.

Nice one, he was promoted between episodes.

The 4th Fella 18th March 2012 10:15 PM

It's the Ace boxset next month that I can't wait for. Two McCoy stories at the same time... yay. :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 4th Fella (Post 224863)
It's the Ace boxset next month that I can't wait for. Two McCoy stories at the same time... yay. :woot:

I do like McCoy after he settled down (ie-not in Time and the Rani), but never really liked Ace until Ghost Light, Fenric and Survival.

Always thought her dialogue was badly written.

The 4th Fella 18th March 2012 10:32 PM

I don't believe there is a bad McCoy story as I can find something good in each one, even if it's just McCoy as the Doctor. However, the ones I like more are:

The Curse Of Fenric
Survival
Ghostlight
Battlefield
Rememberence Of The Daleks
Silver Nemesis

As for Ace (Sophie Aldred), I can't say a bad word about her. She just clicks with McCoy, and it doesn't take them long to buld up a chemistry, something I never felt was present with Bonnie Langford.

RedEyeTheCylon 19th March 2012 12:48 AM

Whilst on the subject of Ace, Sophie Aldred has said in a recent inerview that Russell T Davies had planned to have her make an appearance in a future episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. But due to Elisabeth Sladen sadly passing away, the series came to an end before it could happen.

Demoncrat 19th March 2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 224716)
Who here knows how many times Mr Bronson from Grange Hill (Sorry, I can't think of his name and it's the only other thing I can remember him being in of the top of my head) has appeared in different stories with the various docs?

Micheal Sheard. Currently reading his 3rd volume of memoirs, which mainly involves his going to conventions A LOT. Recommended reading if you like me was terrified of Bronson.....;)

Yes, Mr Bronson
Yes, Admiral
Yes, School's Out

He's also great in the commentary for Pyramids Of Mars btw.;)

wayfarer 19th March 2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 224892)
Whilst on the subject of Ace, Sophie Aldred has said in a recent inerview that Russell T Davies had planned to have her make an appearance in a future episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. But due to Elisabeth Sladen sadly passing away, the series came to an end before it could happen.

That's a damn shame. I liked the way RTD brought back familiar faces into current Doctor Who; something I wish Moffat would do, as long as it didn't end up being too cheesy.

Mojo 19th March 2012 01:57 PM

Watched The Daemons over the weekend. I'd never seen this one all the way through before ( I'd only seen a couple of episodes ) and I have to say it was even better than I expected.

Great performances all round ( Roger Delgado is terrific here ) impressive effects and good banter among the regulars. Great atmosphere too. A classic. I'll definitely be revisiting this one again soon. Highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 02:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Wave Two of Target reprints due May.

I love all these artworks. :happy:

How cool is that Loch Ness monster? I bet it looks brilliant in the show. :rolleyes:

Mojo 19th March 2012 06:59 PM

Great to see another batch of these, although I'm a little disappointed there weren't more 'lost' Pat Troughton stories. Always loved that Tenth Planet cover mind.

As for the Zygons, it is the one time I hope they do substitute some new ( Loch Ness monster ) effects.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 08:36 PM

I've got loads of the original Target Who books in the attic. I think I may have some hardbacks, too.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 225052)
Great to see another batch of these, although I'm a little disappointed there weren't more 'lost' Pat Troughton stories. Always loved that Tenth Planet cover mind.

As for the Zygons, it is the one time I hope they do substitute some new ( Loch Ness monster ) effects.

The releases are a bit random, but at least they are sticking with the early Achilleos covers to begin with.

This is a rundown with artwork of all the Target range. Dr Who Books Gallery - All Target Books in Publication Order

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 225077)
I've got loads of the original Target Who books in the attic. I think I may have some hardbacks, too.

I don't have any hardbacks but i have 90% of the paperbacks. I will never get rid of them.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 225094)
I don't have any hardbacks but i have 90% of the paperbacks. I will never get rid of them.

I can't see me doing so either.

I used to love reading them when I was a kid - The Celestial Toymaker was one of my favourite stories (unfortunately one where the broadcasted episodes are almost all missing). I can remember giving my dad a list of the ones I still needed to get and him picking them up on his frequent business trips. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 225099)
I can't see me doing so either.

I used to love reading them when I was a kid - The Celestial Toymaker was one of my favourite stories (unfortunately one where the broadcasted episodes are almost all missing). I can remember giving my dad a list of the ones I still needed to get and him picking them up on his frequent business trips. :)

Back then it was all we had for any story not just the missing ones. I, and probably you are the same, used to use your imagination and picture these terrible monsters.

Quite honestly, the stories i imagined were far better than what was actually televised :lol:

I remember watching The Three Doctors on vhs anxious to see Omega attack all three Doctors using his powerful hand rays. I was certain the Ice Warriors had beams of electricity for weapons also.

All because of Target books and their brilliant covers.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 225106)
I, and probably you are the same, used to use your imagination and picture these terrible monsters.

Quite honestly, the stories i imagined were far better than what was actually televised :lol:

Yep, some of the rubber and latex monsters were no competition for my imagination. I did manage to see a fair few of the televised stories (some even before I read the books - which did aid to spoil the imagination process a bit).

Although, that said, I found Tomb of the Cybermen pretty creepy when I was young. It remains one of my favourite of any of the televised stories to date.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 10:41 PM

The music to Tomb is very creepy.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 225119)
The music to Tomb is very creepy.

Ditto the Cybermen voices.

"You belong to us. You will be like us"

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 225121)
Ditto the Cybermen voices.

"You belong to us. You will be like us"

A phrase now copyrighted to Simon Cowell and his merry band of cloned wannabees.

Mojo 20th March 2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 224992)
Wave Two of Target reprints due May.

I love all these artworks. :happy:

How cool is that Loch Ness monster? I bet it looks brilliant in the show. :rolleyes:

Achilleos' artwork is terrific - the covers bring back many happy childhood memories. I've a feeling I'm going to have to get all of these!

Susan Foreman 21st March 2012 10:19 AM

It's been confirmed that the new companion is to be former 'Emmerdale' actress Jenna-Louise Coleman

Coleman is new Doctor Who sidekick - Yahoo! News UK

Demoncrat 21st March 2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 225443)
It's been confirmed that the new companion is to be former 'Emmerdale' actress Jenna-Louise Coleman

Coleman is new Doctor Who sidekick - Yahoo! News UK

Ka ching!, she is cute now, cough cough, :blush:

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st March 2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 225446)

Never heard of her.

Susan Foreman 21st March 2012 10:43 AM

More interesting news:

"In announcing the new companion this morning, the Doctor Who production team also confirmed the “split-season” theory that has been making the rounds on the message boards and elsewhere. According to the press conference, six episodes will be transmitted later this year, including the Christmas Special, followed by eight more episodes next year. The Ponds, Amy and Rory (Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill) will bow out of the series in episode five, which will feature the return of the Weeping Angels. According to the show’s head writer, Steven Moffat: “Amy and Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in episode five. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time.”

The 2012 run of episodes will conclude at Christmas with the introduction of the new companion played by Jenna-Louise Coleman and the rest of the series will follow in 2013. No information was given today concerning what we can expect for the remainder of 2013, Doctor Who‘s fiftieth anniversary, but it is possible that more will be revealed at this weekend’s first official Doctor Who convention.

[UPDATED]: It was announced that Daleks are also set to return sometime during the 2013 run of episodes."

Pop Culture Zoo | Doctor Who Series 7 To Be Split Between 2012/2013, Weeping Angels & Daleks To Return

Demoncrat 21st March 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 225452)
Never heard of her.

She was also in Waterloo Road, mate was obssessed with that programme ("for the plots".... aye right) and spotted her there.

wayfarer 21st March 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 225446)

Yes, she is. Quite how her character wil play off the Doctor is something we'll have to wait and see for. I have confidence that the Moff will deliver.

I'm not so confident at the prospect of another Weeping Angels episode but it could potentially be quite a cruel story. Amy had an Angel in her consciousness or something, in the last Angel story - sorry, my mind's hazy about it. So, it could be linked to that. Moffat could make her the villain of the piece, similar to Peri in the Trial of a Timelord. That would be cool.

RedEyeTheCylon 21st March 2012 01:21 PM

It's a shame they're not involving the Daleks in the departure of the Ponds. Having them kill either one or both of them off would have been a great way to re-establish them as the Doctor's deadliest enemy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2012 02:13 PM

According to Doctor Who mag, the Daleks are back in the Autumn.

https://twitter.com/#!/DWMtweets/sta...21032416718849

So thats Daleks, Angels and Zygons - lovely.

Mojo 21st March 2012 03:14 PM

Are the Zygons confirmed as returning, or is it just a rumour?...

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 225512)
Are the Zygons confirmed as returning, or is it just a rumour?...

Just a rumour, but a strong one, from BBC sources, the production team actually.

The 4th Fella 21st March 2012 09:53 PM

I don't want to admit to having seen the odd bit of Emmerdale, but I remember JLC. The 11th Doctor has impeccable taste in female companions. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2012 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jenna-Louise Coleman

My favourite companion since Peri. :happy:

In some pics she reminds me of Christina Ricci.

And she's from the North West. :clap:

The 4th Fella 22nd March 2012 08:23 AM

When her 5" figure is released, I bet it's gonna sell out. ;)

Hawkmonger 22nd March 2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 224892)

Damn shame. She was so great in her role. Would love to see her return one day. Give the damn Daleks a run for there money once more, did you see her with that bat in RotD? :shocked:

RedEyeTheCylon 23rd March 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 225886)
Give the damn Daleks a run for there money once more, did you see her with that bat in RotD? :shocked:

That's definately got to be one of the best moments in classic Who:
Ace vs. Dalek - YouTube

Hawkmonger 23rd March 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 226048)
That's definately got to be one of the best moments in classic Who:
Ace vs. Dalek - YouTube

It's nice to have a female companion that doesn't scream all the time (Susan) or is a complete Twishite cash in (Rose)!:lol:

Nemesis 23rd March 2012 06:58 PM

Guys,

Suggestions needed - which one do I get? Daemons or Face of Evil?

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 226137)
Guys,

The Daemons.

Although Face of Evil does introduce Leela.

Nemesis 23rd March 2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 226139)
The Daemons.

Although Face of Evil does introduce Leela.

I had wondered about getting more Leela - the only stories I've seen with her are Invasion of Time and Talons, and first 2 episodes of Sun Makers.

Still, I think Daemons wins out. Thanks, Demdike :)

Susan Foreman 23rd March 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 226137)

Get them both, you cheapskate!!!!!

Being serious, although they are both recommended, I would agree with Demdike and suggest you get 'The Daemons'. Not only is is a double disc set, it is a good story, with all the main cast on top form

It also has a very engaging commentary track, which I think I will probably listen to more than once

Saying that, tho, 'The Face of Evil' is also an entertaining tale, and quite disturbing in places

Mojo 23rd March 2012 07:20 PM

The Daemons :nod: