Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Hawkmonger 3rd April 2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228438)
On his mothers side.

Lahlahlah!
Never happened!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228439)
Lahlahlah!
Never happened!

:nod:

:lol:

In that case Time and the Rani never happened. :lalala:

:D

Mojo 3rd April 2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228440)
:nod:

:lol:

In that case Time and the Rani never happened. :lalala:

:D

I wish it hadn't :D

I like Planet Of Evil, particularly the 'possessed' Sorenson. Although I do agree The Horns Of Nimon was a load of old arse.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2012 05:57 PM

Did you not rate the McGann episode Hawkmonger?

I loved it when i first saw it, on later viewings i found it a bit dull, but really enjoyed when i last watched it around two years ago.

I know it divides opinion amongst fans.

Susan Foreman 3rd April 2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228434)
By the way the Doctor is half human. ;)

...And the TARDIS has a cloaking device!

:Rasp:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 228496)
...And the TARDIS has a cloaking device!

:Rasp:

:shocked: :( :lol:

Mojo 3rd April 2012 06:33 PM

I thought Paul McGann was a great Doctor. It's a shame he never got the chance to play the role again ( on tv that is ) .

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 228508)
I thought Paul McGann was a great Doctor. It's a shame he never got the chance to play the role again ( on tv that is ) .

Agreed.

I have a few of his Big Finish plays and he portrays the Doctor well.

Susan Foreman 3rd April 2012 07:20 PM

Let's hear it for the return of a favourite rumour.

Apparently, at the end of the new series, the Doctor is going to regenerate into a woman!!!

How many times have we heard that one before?

Hawkmonger 3rd April 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 228535)
Let's hear it for the return of a favourite rumour.

Apparently, at the end of the new series, the Doctor is going to regenerate into a woman!!!

How many times have we heard that one before?

Father Tom: Arse biscuits!
Really though, some fan's need to learn when to pack it in.
I swear DW has the most hyperactive fan base around. :lol:

On the subject of the McGann movie Dem, I rather liked it.
It was neither epic in scale nor a terrible first outing. Shame he would never turn up again except in audio dramas.
Maybe a crossover for the 50th aniversery? Get Davison (loved him in Time Crash), the two Bakers, McCoy, Eccleston (Doubt it sadly) and Tennent on board and it shall be de epic eventz of ze year! :popcorn:

Demoncrat 4th April 2012 11:53 AM

just on a slight tangent, did anyone catch the Mark Gatiss interview on BBC4 last night?? Covered quite a lot, including the fact that the League reformed (well......) to write some new stuff for the ace and silly Horrible Histories?

And this so called half human nonsense is all a part of New Who isn't it? Personally i hope pond is raped by Zygons haha, as rory cries himself to death whilst having to watch it dangling frae Nessie's mouth :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 228681)
just on a slight tangent, did anyone catch the Mark Gatiss interview on BBC4 last night?? Covered quite a lot, including the fact that the League reformed (well......) to write some new stuff for the ace and silly Horrible Histories?

And this so called half human nonsense is all a part of New Who isn't it? Personally i hope pond is raped by Zygons haha, as rory cries himself to death whilst having to watch it dangling frae Nessie's mouth :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
ahem.

No, sadly it was from the McGann episode.

Susan Foreman 4th April 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 228681)
And this so called half human nonsense is all a part of New Who isn't it?

This travesty of an idea was first mentioned during the Paul McGann 1996 American Television Movie

Some fans have seen this (alongside the mention of the TARDIS having a 'cloaking device' instead of the more familiar 'Chameleon Circuit') as a ploy to appeal to the American fans of 'Star Trek' - i.e Spock having a human parent, and the Enterprise has a 'cloaking device'

Nemesis 4th April 2012 01:27 PM

I personally choose to dismiss that silly half-human reference on this basis:

as River Song says, the first rule is: the Doctor lies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2012 02:18 PM

Wow, HMV are selling The Unit Files box set for £35. :eek:

Its £15.97 on Amazon.

Oddly i've just ordered the Earth Story set from HMV for a tenner. :happy:

What is going on with their price structuring.

Nemesis 4th April 2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228753)

Its £15.97 on Amazon.

Apparently, the system is having a few problems as they're implementing the new pricing between now and the weekend. It's crazy - you have new titles like DW Face of Evil being sold for £17 and Tintin triple play for £22, yet some of the Arrow pre-orders are cheaper than Amazon:crazy:

Edit: £22 for Sensorites and £28 for Meglos. Madness, sheer madness.

But it's not a good sign of things to come; I thought I better get some more cheaper DW titles as you can't get older ones on the high street anymore.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th April 2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228753)

Its £15.97 on Amazon.

I'll tell you what's going on with them....they're f**kwits! :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 228756)
£28 for Meglos. Madness, sheer madness.

I wouldn't pay £2.80 for Meglos. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2012 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What a lovely cover for the new mag. :love::love::love:

Make Them Die Slowly 12th April 2012 11:20 PM

Presently watching "The Daemons" with the kids. We're all really enjoying it, even the boy MTDS who normally hates Dr Who.

Demoncrat 13th April 2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228728)
No, sadly it was from the McGann episode.

I have no idea what you mean.....i had my memory of that erased....ERASED i tells ye ;);)

Admittedly there is none of this bumpf in the Big Finish stories he did.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2012 04:10 PM

Coming soon to dvd

2nd July - The Krotons

30th July - The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

20th August - Planet of Giants

Hawkmonger 2nd May 2012 04:12 PM

Ah, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.
One of the better McCoy storys if my memory holds up.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 237891)
Ah, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.
One of the better McCoy storys if my memory holds up.

I'm looking forward to Planet of Giants personally. :)

Hawkmonger 2nd May 2012 04:27 PM

Gotta be a fairly cheap package that, only two episodes I believe.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 237898)
Gotta be a fairly cheap package that, only two episodes I believe.

Three episodes.

I'm hoping they will throw in the newly found episode of Galaxy Four.

RedEyeTheCylon 2nd May 2012 04:38 PM

And they've also done a reconstruction of the fourth episode which was originally scrapped

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 237902)
And they've also done a reconstruction of the fourth episode which was originally scrapped

Your subscription arrived today as well did it? ;) :)

Mojo 2nd May 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 237902)

Really looking forward to seeing this.

Hawkmonger 2nd May 2012 06:32 PM

Alas i haven't bought the Mag for several months.
Must get round to buying this months issue.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 237978)
Alas i haven't bought the Mag for several months.
Must get round to buying this months issue.

Its Dalek-tastic. :dance:

RedEyeTheCylon 2nd May 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 237954)
Your subscription arrived today as well did it? ;) :)

Like Hawkmonger, I haven't bought it for months (and when I did, I only bought it when it came with a free poster :lol:), I read about the reconstruction a few weeks back on Gallifreybase.

Whilst on the subject of the reconsruction, here's a demo reel of the guy who's going to be voicing the 1st Doctor (in case you havn't seen it already):
John Guilor Audio Demo - YouTube
His impression sounds quite good!

Susan Foreman 3rd May 2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 237889)
Coming soon to dvd

2nd July - The Krotons

Extra features:
  • Audio Commentary - Philip Madoc (Eelek), Gilbert Wynne (Thara), Richard Ireson (Axus), Bobi Bartlett (costumes), Sylvia James (make-up), David Tilley (assisant floor manager), Brian Hodgson (special sound), plus moderation by Toby Hadoke
  • Information subtitles
  • Second Time Around
  • Doctor Who Stories - Frazer Hines (part one)
  • The Doctor's Strange Love
  • Photo Gallery
  • PDF materials: Radio Times Listings

Mojo 3rd May 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 238133)
Extra features:
  • Audio Commentary - Philip Madoc (Eelek), Gilbert Wynne (Thara), Richard Ireson (Axus), Bobi Bartlett (costumes), Sylvia James (make-up), David Tilley (assisant floor manager), Brian Hodgson (special sound), plus moderation by Toby Hadoke
  • Information subtitles
  • Second Time Around
  • Doctor Who Stories - Frazer Hines (part one)
  • The Doctor's Strange Love
  • Photo Gallery
  • PDF materials: Radio Times Listings

Looking forward to this. Although The Krotons isn't a particular favourite, I love Pat Troughton's Doctor. With so much of the second Doctor's stories wiped, I'm just glad to own any of them.

The 4th Fella 3rd May 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 237889)
30th July - The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

That will also mean that the 7th Doctor era is now complete on DVD. Souns like a good time for a marathon methinks. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 12:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The artwork for the next three releases.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 12:33 PM

Taken from The Doctor Who News Website.

The number of unreleased adventures is diminishing rapidly, with three of the above stories drawing eras to a close - at least for complete serials; here are the remaining adventures of the Doctor to be seen on DVD:

•The First Doctor: The Reign Of Terror - to be released with animated episodes 4+5, currently expected for release in late 2012
•The First Doctor: Galaxy 4: Air Lock - recently recovered episode alongside The Underwater Menace to feature on a forthcoming release. Dan Hall told DWM: "There's one release that hasn't been announced yet which will provide a home for one of them. And there's a potential release that will provide a home for the other one as well. People aren't going to see them out on DVD in 2012, though. But they are on our schedule."
•The First Doctor: The Tenth Planet - missing episode four, current release status unannounced
•The Second Doctor: The Underwater Menace: Episode 2 - see Galaxy 4 above
•The Second Doctor: The Ice Warriors - missing episodes 2+3, current release status unannounced. Michael Troughton reported at GallifreyOne in February that he had recorded a commentary on the life of his father for the story
•The Third Doctor: The Ambassadors of Death - originally to be released with The Sunmakers, but delayed due to colour recovery issues for episodes 2-7. Current release status unannounced
•The Third Doctor: The Mind of Evil - originally mooted to be released with Terror of the Autons, but dropped due to colour recovery issues for episodes 1-6. In February Steve Roberts reported to Radio Free Skaro that episode one (which does not have a print containing the chromadot information used for the colour recovery process) will be colourised by Babelcolour, using motion-estimation techniques to aid the process
•The Fourth Doctor: Terror of the Zygons, currently expected for release in 2013
•The Fourth Doctor: Shada - existing footage to form part of the provisionally entitled Legacy Boxed Set alongside documentary More Than Thirty Years In The TARDIS

Hawkmonger 4th May 2012 02:42 PM

That is a shockingly small list.

RedEyeTheCylon 4th May 2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 238548)
Taken from The Doctor Who News Website.

The number of unreleased adventures is diminishing rapidly, with three of the above stories drawing eras to a close - at least for complete serials; here are the remaining adventures of the Doctor to be seen on DVD:

•The First Doctor: The Reign Of Terror - to be released with animated episodes 4+5, currently expected for release in late 2012
•The First Doctor: Galaxy 4: Air Lock - recently recovered episode alongside The Underwater Menace to feature on a forthcoming release. Dan Hall told DWM: "There's one release that hasn't been announced yet which will provide a home for one of them. And there's a potential release that will provide a home for the other one as well. People aren't going to see them out on DVD in 2012, though. But they are on our schedule."
•The First Doctor: The Tenth Planet - missing episode four, current release status unannounced
•The Second Doctor: The Underwater Menace: Episode 2 - see Galaxy 4 above
•The Second Doctor: The Ice Warriors - missing episodes 2+3, current release status unannounced. Michael Troughton reported at GallifreyOne in February that he had recorded a commentary on the life of his father for the story
•The Third Doctor: The Ambassadors of Death - originally to be released with The Sunmakers, but delayed due to colour recovery issues for episodes 2-7. Current release status unannounced
•The Third Doctor: The Mind of Evil - originally mooted to be released with Terror of the Autons, but dropped due to colour recovery issues for episodes 1-6. In February Steve Roberts reported to Radio Free Skaro that episode one (which does not have a print containing the chromadot information used for the colour recovery process) will be colourised by Babelcolour, using motion-estimation techniques to aid the process
•The Fourth Doctor: Terror of the Zygons, currently expected for release in 2013
•The Fourth Doctor: Shada - existing footage to form part of the provisionally entitled Legacy Boxed Set alongside documentary More Than Thirty Years In The TARDIS

There's also going to be a Revisitation special edition version of Vengeance on Varos at some point

Demoncrat 4th May 2012 03:28 PM

All good news. Have finally ordered Colony In Space as my Delgado addiction needs feeding.;)