Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2016 05:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Vupj-BGEA

Susan Foreman 12th October 2016 05:59 PM

I have always found 'Androzani' to be over-rated

I know it is highly regarded, but it really doesn't do anything for me

hivemind 12th October 2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 507662)
Quote from Steven Moffat at NYC Comic Con

Start the guessing game now!

I'm going for Ben Aaronovitch. (Remembrance of the Daleks)

Look! I'll take Lance Parkin and Terry Dicks any day.

hivemind 12th October 2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 507666)
Hope it's not Kevin Clarke - 'Silver Nemesis' is a mess

Maybe Marc Platt, so he can do a sequel to 'Ghost Light', explaining what that story is all about!

It wasn't good was it. Silver Nemesis. When the DVD box set came out with Nemesis, I was hoping someone would tart up the rubbish video effects, but no. If their was one story that needed better story and effects it was Nemesis. Maybe the Blu-Ray version will come with an extra option of an alternative story with better writing and new CGI effects. Don't think the BBC Worldwide DVD budget will stretch that faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

A Silver Nemesis Redux super CG Edition with new improved story.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508002)
Look! I'll take Lance Parkin and Terry Dicks any day.

Dicks said he doesn't want to write for the series. Parkin never wrote a classic adventure so it won't be him.

hivemind 12th October 2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508008)
Dicks said he doesn't want to write for the series. Parkin never wrote a classic adventure so it won't be him.

I know. But I would love Parkin to get to grips with Doctor Twelve. I wonder if it's Eric Saward?

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508009)
I know. But I would love Parkin to get to grips with Doctor Twelve. I wonder if it's Eric Saward?

I hope not. He's not particularly complementary about the new series if i remember his comments on some of the dvds.

He likes to take credit for everything good but never any blame when things don't work out. :lol:

I do like all three of his credited stories though. However ones he rewrote like The Twin Dilemma leave a lot to be desired.

hivemind 12th October 2016 07:41 PM

Marc Platt would be nice. Christopher H. Bidmead?

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th October 2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508013)
Marc Platt would be nice. Christopher H. Bidmead?

Platt would be good. Bidmead is 75 now so doubtful.

I'm trying to think which classic series writers still come across fully functional from their dvd interviews. :lol:

iank 12th October 2016 09:04 PM

It's pretty much got to be someone from the McCoy era, really. The only other viable candidate really would be Andrew Smith, and he says it's not him. Bob Baker could be a long shot, I guess.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2016 03:02 PM

Power of the Daleks is being shown for one night in US cinemas.

Doctor Who News

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2016 03:08 PM

I see the next issue of Doctor Who magazine has Captain Jack on the cover.

Makes me wonder if this is a reminder of the character to the public for a possible re-appearance in Doctor Who. Why? Well the mag had a Paul McGann cover just months prior to him turning up in The Night of the Doctor. Wild speculation on my part perhaps but we'll see.

With Capaldi being in the first episode of Class i'd have expected that to be the cover feature, seeing as it's relevant, obviously Power of the Daleks will be next issues cover.

hivemind 13th October 2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508015)
Platt would be good. Bidmead is 75 now so doubtful.

I'm trying to think which classic series writers still come across fully functional from their dvd interviews. :lol:

I've got a feeling it's either Platt or Aaronovitch‎. Probably Aaronovitch like you said Dem. Outside chance here...Ian Briggs? :lol:

The Curse of Fenric was a cracker.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508169)
I've got a feeling it's either Platt or Aaronovitch‎. Probably Aaronovitch like you said Dem. Outside chance here...Ian Briggs? :lol:

The Curse of Fenric was a cracker.

It was. I really like all that final season. Even Battlefield.

hivemind 13th October 2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508171)
It was. I really like all that final season. Even Battlefield.

Oooooh! Battlefield. I do think that Andrew Cartmel would of done a terrific job as Dr. Who producer. Just a crying shame we didn't get to see more Who in the 1990's. Having to watch Eastenders meets Doctor Who in Dimensions in Time was enough for me to chuck a brick through my TV. Shocking and totally vile.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th October 2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508175)
Oooooh! Battlefield. I do think that Andrew Cartmel would of done a terrific job as Dr. Who producer. Just a crying shame we didn't get to see more Who in the 1990's. Having to watch Eastenders meets Doctor Who in Dimensions in Time was enough for me to chuck a brick through my TV. Shocking and totally vile.

Wholeheartedly agree with you hivemind.

I'm still unsure about Cartmel's masterplan of exploring the Doctor and having him as one of the three Timelords along with Omega and Rassilon who created Timelord physics. Also the casual way of destroying Skaro and the Cyber fleet, even Moffat's not that daft.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2016 05:15 PM

Missy returns.

Michelle Gomez Confirms Return To 'Doctor Who' For Series 10 ♫ theMusic.com.au | Australia’s Premier Music News & Reviews Website

Unrelated to this story, i've also heard there will be a two part Cybermen origins story mid season and the Weeping Angels are also said to be back. Episode 2 is supposed to involve emoticons.

Susan Foreman 14th October 2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508280)
i've also heard there will be a two part Cybermen origins story mid season

I'm not a fan of the Cybermen, but that's one I have been waiting for, for a long time

Mojo 14th October 2016 07:07 PM

We badly need a classic Cybermen story. The idea of an origins tale sounds promising - particularly if we could get some ultra creepy Tenth Planet types.

hivemind 14th October 2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 508314)
We badly need a classic Cybermen story. The idea of an origins tale sounds promising - particularly if we could get some ultra creepy Tenth Planet types.

Big question is....

who's gonna write this 2-parter. Could the mysterious classic Who writer be in line for writing this one??? Marc Platt delivered that Spare Parts audio story. It's totally possible.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508342)
Big question is....

who's gonna write this 2-parter. Could the mysterious classic Who writer be in line for writing this one??? Marc Platt delivered that Spare Parts audio story. It's totally possible.

Susan was right... it's Kevin Clarke. :skull::skull::skull:

hivemind 15th October 2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508373)
Susan was right... it's Kevin Clarke. :skull::skull::skull:

Jesus! I better go a fling myself into the time vortex right now. God help us!

I would rather have Russell T. Davies write this two parter.

Lord have mercy.:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th October 2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 508463)
Jesus! I better go a fling myself into the time vortex right now. God help us!

I would rather have Russell T. Davies write this two parter.

Lord have mercy.:lol:

Still no news on who it really is.

hivemind 15th October 2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508465)
Still no news on who it really is.

Now Susan's tempted fate, I suspect it probably will be be Kevin Clarke. :skull:

Susan Foreman 16th October 2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508280)
i've also heard there will be a two part Cybermen origins story mid season

'Genesis Of The Daleks' worked because the Daleks have remained the same, regardless of whether it is their first appearance ['The Daleks' (1963) or 'Genesis Of The Daleks' (1975) depending on how you look at things] or their latest one ['The Magicians Apprentice'/'The Witches Familiar' (2015)]

'Genesis Of The Cybermen' will need to be done perfectly, otherwise it runs the risk of failure, especially for casual, young and new fans, for the simple reason that the Cybermen have changed so much over the years, both in body and voice. They run the risk of being unrecognisable to anyone who isn't well versed in Who-lore

Especially if there is a Cyber Controller character!

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pu...cyber_3548.jpg http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/wp...es/v3-head.jpg http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-con...n-cybermen.jpg

iank 18th October 2016 01:54 AM

Philip Morris has just done a brief interview with DWO, says nothing he hasn't said before, but then at the end bizarrely and unnecessarily adds "We will return".

Which is a Cyberman line from Wheel, funnily enough.:chainsawkill:

hivemind 18th October 2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 508682)
Philip Morris has just done a brief interview with DWO, says nothing he hasn't said before, but then at the end bizarrely and unnecessarily adds "We will return".

Which is a Cyberman line from Wheel, funnily enough.:chainsawkill:

Then we have to consider the possibility that maybe The Wheel In Space could be unleashed when this two-part Cybermen story surfaces in the new Dr Who series? It would make sense. But all of this is just the usual guessing. Would be rather nice though.

Susan Foreman 18th October 2016 01:49 PM

The BBC Creates Step-by-Step Instructions for Knitting the Iconic Dr. Who Scarf: A Document from the Early 1980s | Open Culture

Bet most people on the forum have absolutely no idea what this means!

http://cdn8.openculture.com/wp-conte...4th-Doctor.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th October 2016 11:12 AM

The interview with Arrow star John Barrowman is an exhausting 9 pages long in the latest Doctor Who Magazine.

So if you are a fan of Captain Jack Harkness it's well worth buying.

http://images.radiotimes.com/namedim...nal/107853.jpg

iank 19th October 2016 09:27 PM

There may be more animations on the way, with an interview with the head guy behind Power hinting that they were surprised to get the go-ahead to do Power "first", ahead of stories with just a few episodes missing. BBC Worldwide have also been hinting at more classic releases on Twitter.
Sounds encouraging! :zombie::woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th October 2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 508841)
There may be more animations on the way, with an interview with the head guy behind Power hinting that they were surprised to get the go-ahead to do Power "first", ahead of stories with just a few episodes missing. BBC Worldwide have also been hinting at more classic releases on Twitter.
Sounds encouraging! :zombie::woot:

Yes, in the mag i mentioned above, the people behind the animations say it depends on how well Power does.

I think it'll do well as will any Dalek or Cybermen story. I'll be doubtful about The Savages or something of that ilk though.

This will make money through it's US cinema release albeit for one day, plus money it makes on download and i hope it does well on dvd.

I know i've got it pre-ordered so it will sell at least one copy. :skull:

iank 19th October 2016 09:59 PM

I think it is (or was for several weeks) in the top 50 Amazon pre-order titles for weeks after it went up.
Seems pretty likely to be more. :)

Susan Foreman 20th October 2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 508843)
I think it is (or was for several weeks) in the top 50 Amazon pre-order titles for weeks after it went up.
Seems pretty likely to be more. :)

At time of writing:

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 76 in DVD & Blu-ray

#7 in DVD & Blu-ray > Science Fiction
#19 in DVD & Blu-ray > Fantasy
#19 in DVD & Blu-ray > Children & Family

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2016 03:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a slimline 2017 official Doctor Who calendar from Poundland.

It's the same images as this years official calendar but as i say this is a slimmed down version. I really like it and certainly worth a pound.

Susan Foreman 23rd October 2016 05:48 AM

Doctor Who: exclusive behind the scenes look at The Power of the Daleks - Patricks Troughton's first episode

nosferatu42 23rd October 2016 07:24 PM

Just watched the first two episodes of Class the latest Doctor Who spin off series.
Quite enjoyed it, a bit rushed in places and a little rough around the edges but watchable enough.

Comes across as a mix of Sarah Jane and Torchwood to me.

Liked the first episode better of the two, the Doctor cameo was nice, the lead kids were likeable enough, with the Miss Quill teacher character being quite entertaining, her uncaring nature made for a nice contrast with the kids and i thought she was quite sexy too.:hailwitch:

So generally good and i will watch the rest as they air.:brainfood:

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 509131)
Just watched the first two episodes of Class the latest Doctor Who spin off series.
Quite enjoyed it, a bit rushed in places and a little rough around the edges but watchable enough.

Comes across as a mix of Sarah Jane and Torchwood to me.

Liked the first episode better of the two, the Doctor cameo was nice, the lead kids were likeable enough, with the Miss Quill teacher character being quite entertaining, her uncaring nature made for a nice contrast with the kids and i thought she was quite sexy too.:hailwitch:

So generally good and i will watch the rest as they air.:brainfood:

It's had positive reviews so i thought i'd ignore it now and pick it up when it hits dvd next year.

iank 23rd October 2016 09:10 PM

Sounds ghastly from what I've heard! :jaws:

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 509146)
Sounds ghastly from what I've heard! :jaws:

That's to be expected though as you don't like Doctor Who after 1989.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th October 2016 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 509149)
That's to be expected though as you don't like Doctor Who after 1989.

He's a sensible man. :skull: