Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 27th August 2013 07:06 AM

Did anyone actually get the 'Regeneration' box set, and if you did, what are your thoughts on 'The Tenth Planet'?

Susan Foreman 28th August 2013 05:44 PM

Robbie Williams was close to being cast as The Doctor | Radio Times

Bringer Of Funerals 28th August 2013 06:27 PM

Ive decided to end with the original Dr Who dvd releases - i cant be arsed buying the 2005 lot

Susan Foreman 30th August 2013 09:24 AM

The Tenth Planet extras:

Disc One Contents
  • Commentary with actors Anneke Wills (Polly), Christopher Matthews (Radar Technician), Earl Cameron (Williams), Alan White (Schultz), Donald Van Der Maaten (Cybermen Shav and Gern), Christopher Dunham (R/T Technician) and designer Peter Kindred. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
  • Frozen Out - Cast and crew look back on the making of the story. With actors Anneke Wills, Earl Cameron and Reg Whitehead, designer Peter Kindred and vision mixer Shirley Coward.
  • Episode 4 VHS Reconstruction - The reconstruction of the missing fourth episode using audio, stills and surviving clips, which featured on the BBC Video VHS release of the story back in 2000.
  • Radio Times listings - Episode listings for The Tenth Planet from the BBC listings magazine Radio Times (DVD-ROM only – to be viewed on PC/Mac).
  • Production subtitles - Subtitles provide the viewer with cast details, script development and other information related to the production of The Tenth Planet.
  • Photo gallery - A selection of production, design and publicity photographs from this story.
  • Coming soon - An exclusive new trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.

Disc Two Contents
  • William Hartnell Interview - Shortly after leaving Doctor Who, star William Hartnell joined the 1966 Christmas pantomime tour of Puss in Boots. Interviewed in his dressing room for the BBC Bristol’s Points West programme, Hartnell talks frankly about Daleks, the merits of pantomime and his own thoughts on his future career in this extremely rare glimpse into the mind of the man who first brought the role of the Doctor to life…
  • Doctor Who Stories – Anneke Wills - Anneke Wills look back on her role as Polly in the series, in an interview recorded for the BBC’s Story of Doctor Who in 2003.
  • The Golden Age - Historian Dominic Sandbrook examines the myth of a ‘Golden Age’ of Doctor Who.
  • Boys! Boys! Boys! - Peter Purves, Frazer Hines and Mark Strickson reminisce about their time as companions to the First, Second and Fifth Doctors respectively.
  • Companion Piece - A psychologist, writers and some of the Doctor’s companions over the years examine what it means to be a Time Lord’s fellow traveller . With actors William Russell, Elisabeth Sladen, Louise Jameson, Nicola Bryant and Arthur Darvill, writers Nev Fountain and Joseph Lidster, and psychologist Dr Tomas Charmorro-Premuzic.
  • Blue Peter: Doctor Who's Tenth Anniversary - Two weeks before the show’s tenth anniversary, the Blue Peter team take a look back at Doctor Who’s history. Ironically, the strict preservation of Blue Peter’s history means that the clip of the first regeneration has been preserved, but the final episode of The Tenth Planet that it came from was never again seen after its use here.

The Tenth Planet: DVD cover and contents announced | Articles | Doctor Who

Hawkmonger 30th August 2013 10:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Loving these covers!

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th August 2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 362258)
Loving these covers!

Terror Of The Zygons looks great, mainly because the art is covering a lot of the Tardis interior at the top (always hated that about the UK covers).

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2013 11:54 AM

I just can't see me buying Scream of the Shalka.

I never bothered with any of the other cartoons they released.

PaulD 30th August 2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 362279)

I never bothered with any of the other cartoons they released.

Which other cartoons have they released Dem?

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2013 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 362282)
Which other cartoons have they released Dem?

These two.

PaulD 30th August 2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 362287)
These two.

Ah, didn't know they were on DVD? Can't really see the point in those either myself, don't quite know why.

nosferatu42 30th August 2013 12:13 PM

I thought those were what you meant. They're ok if u like that sort of thing and might be useful if you're trying to get your very young kids into doctor who i suppose.:pop2:

nosferatu42 30th August 2013 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just came across this on google images.

Attachment 119055

I didn't know this existed (i don't normally pick up the audio stories)
I might have to check this one out though because i always thought David Warner would make an interesting Doctor.:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2013 01:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
These have all been posted previously but i think they look good as artworks rather than covers.

Mojo 30th August 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 362306)
These have all been posted previously but i think they look good as artworks rather than covers.

They certainly do. Which is why I don't particularly like the UK dvd covers - these would look wonderful if left to fill the whole dvd cover, a la the Spearhead From Space Blu-ray.

Hawkmonger 30th August 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 362296)
i just came across this on google images.

Attachment 119055

I didn't know this existed (i don't normally pick up the audio stories)
I might have to check this one out though because i always thought David Warner would make an interesting Doctor.:)

IMHO Unbound is the WORST thing Big Finish have done. Warner pull's off a great performance. But it's dire stuff truth be told.

Susan Foreman 31st August 2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 362279)

For me, it all depends on what the extra features are

Hawkmonger 1st September 2013 09:23 PM

Just finished watching The Deadly Assassin for the first time (ouch! Ten years and i'd never watched it. Wow.) and I think it shot right into my top 10. Honestly one of the finest bit's of sci-fi i've ever seen. One shot in particulare insipred me to paint it. I'll post it here when i've done it.:)

nosferatu42 2nd September 2013 12:29 AM

Love 'Deadly assassin' tom baker with a sniper rifle.:woot:

Susan Foreman 2nd September 2013 07:15 AM

Doctor Who Scripts Found | SFX

Susan Foreman 2nd September 2013 05:50 PM

A Christmas Monster Revealed? | Doctor Who TV

Bringer Of Funerals 2nd September 2013 06:07 PM

I want to see the snowmen Dr Who - I missed it

Susan Foreman 2nd September 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 363026)
I want to see the snowmen Dr Who - I missed it

I saw it, and believe me - you didn't miss anything!

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd September 2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 363032)
I saw it, and believe me - you didn't miss anything!

It wasn't bad. Easily the best of Smith's Christmas specials..... thats not saying much though.

Hawkmonger 2nd September 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 363037)
It wasn't bad. Easily the best of Smith's Christmas specials..... thats not saying much though.

Only because Strax was in it.
"Sir! Emergency! I think I've been run over by a cab!"
:pound:

Hawkmonger 5th September 2013 11:30 AM

Peter Capaldi as the Doctor - Animated - YouTube

Susan Foreman 10th September 2013 01:06 PM

Apparently, the BBC have announced the schedule for the 50th anniversary...but it has caused all the sites to crash!

All I have been able to find is this:

"The BBC has given a flavour of the celebrations in store for Doctor Who's 50th birthday this November...

The wraps are finally coming off the celebrations that the BBC has planned for the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who this November. We know already that a 75 minute special episode, The Day Of The Doctor, will star Matt Smith and David Tennant. Furthermore, Mark Gatiss' eagerly-awaited docudrama, An Adventure In Space And Time, is already earmarked for the anniversary weekend.

But more has now come to light.

A BBC Two lecture from Professor Brian Cox will be screened, where he'll look at the science behind the show. Meanwhile, BBC Four is confirmed to be doing a full re-run of Doctor Who's maiden story. Furthermore, the William Hartnell adventure will be broadcast in a restored format for the first time.

On BBC Two again, The Culture Show is planning a special, entitled Me, You And Doctor Who, where Matthew Sweet will dig into the cultural impact of the show. And Radio 2 is getting in on the party too, with a special 90 minute documentary called Who Is The Doctor?.

Rumours persist of missing episodes being rediscovered too, and BBC Three has more up its sleeve that we don't know about yet.

We'll keep you posted as we hear more...

BBC."

BBC reveals Doctor Who 50th anniversary schedule | Den of Geek

"How long is the 50th Anniversary Special of Doctor Who? We now know the length of the 3D cinematic special and the BBC have also revealed the title of the special starring Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt as 'The Doctor'!

In a quick press release detailing the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Schedule, the BBC have revealed that the title of the special (which will air in 3D as well as in cinemas) will be called "Day Of The Doctor". It will be 75 minutes long and the now-leaving Matt Smith commented, saying "Hope you all enjoy. There's lots more coming your way.". The special was written by Steven Moffat and stars John Hurt, David Tennant and Matt Smith as the titular role. The special also involves Daleks and Zygons as the villains. The special episode will screen in 3D in select cinemas and on the BBC.

The BBC also detailed more plans about the 50th Anniversary, including "Restored Episodes" which you can read about by clicking HERE.

Matt Smith was also seen shooting the Christmas Special today with Jenna-Louise Coleman, sporting a familiar looking wig. Click HERE to see those photos. The Christmas special of Doctor Who is set to once again feature Cybermen (if a stuntman's tweet is to be believed) and will showcase Matt Smith's regeneration into Peter Capaldi."

DOCTOR WHO 50th Anniversary Special Runtime And Title Revealed

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2013 01:28 PM

The page is no longer available on the BBC website and only a few other sites are reporting this.

Probably a balls up by someone.

Perhaps the person who sent out the region 1 box sets a week before the final episode transmitted has a new job in the publicity dept. :rolleyes:

Hawkmonger 10th September 2013 03:21 PM

Oh shit why do I have to be in Leeds on that day! That soundalike my ultimate fangasm.:coolblue:

Susan Foreman 10th September 2013 04:18 PM

'Doctor Who': Matt Smith To Be Killed By Cyberman In Christmas Special (SPOILER)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 363021)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 364800)

You've given us this before Suzi. The only difference is the Huffington Post have put their own spin on things and used a made up headline. :lol:

Susan Foreman 10th September 2013 05:35 PM

But the Huffington post thing has different pictures

You know how geeky 'Doctor Who fans are - I can just imagine all my fellow cult-labber-Whoovians printing them off, lovingly laminating them, and then carefully sticking them on the wall with blu-tack!

Hawkmonger 10th September 2013 06:57 PM

I sure hope that's not just me anyway.:crazy:

Susan Foreman 11th September 2013 02:38 PM

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: what clues does the poster hold about The Day of the Doctor? | Radio Times

Susan Foreman 14th September 2013 12:05 AM

Peter Davison to Be in Doctor Who 50Th Anniversary Episode

Maybe true...maybe not!

PaulD 14th September 2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 365700)

"while he is looking forward to seeing it all come together," makes me think it's an 'appearance' a la The Name of The Doctor. I doubt he's filmed anything

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 365701)
"while he is looking forward to seeing it all come together," makes me think it's an 'appearance' a la The Name of The Doctor. I doubt he's filmed anything

Davison let the cat out of the bag earlier this week when he said he had a script with his name on it. :happy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 365700)

Just have to look st the article to see it's "maybe not". Female First? Women are notorious for gossip and making stuff up! :tongue1: :behindsofa:

PaulD 14th September 2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 365776)
Davison let the cat out of the bag earlier this week when he said he had a script with his name on it. :happy:

Oh. I stand corrected then.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 365780)
Oh. I stand corrected then.

It was at the TV Choice awards. Doctor Who won and he collected the award.

He said -I' ve heard lots of rumours, none of which I'm allowed to tell you anything about. I'm privy to them actually, yes, I have got a copy of the script which has got my name embossed across it, so it's top secret, but there's other stuff, lots of other things that are going on that people should keep their eye open for around the 50th Anniversary Special!

Mojo 18th September 2013 05:42 PM

Watched the new Blu ray of Spearhead From Space. I never tire of watching this story and having seen the previous dvd releases I can confidently say it has never looked as good as this. Honestly, it's like watching a bloody feature film! The best ever Who story just got better! Buy it now or I'll send an Auton.