Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 6th August 2013 10:52 PM

Women don't want female Doctor - Moffat - Story - Entertainment - 3 News

Rubbish. All my girlfriends who watch 'Doctor Who' would love a female Doctor

http://www.themarysue.com/race-gender-doctor-who/

One of the comments:

"athenia45

“Do I think it’s time to cast a woman as the Doctor? Not yet. Not quite.”

What is this? 1913?"

Hawkmonger 6th August 2013 11:08 PM

I still think it's a daft idea. Why does this need to be done just to pander to the "equal rights activists"? It's not going to improve the quality of the scripts, it's just gonna retcon 50 years of character establishment and be utterly, completely pointless.:crazy:

Susan Foreman 6th August 2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 356999)
I still think it's a daft idea. Why does this need to be done just to pander to the "equal rights activists"? It's not going to improve the quality of the scripts, it's just gonna retcon 50 years of character establishment and be utterly, completely pointless.:crazy:

Oh no! One of the most popular characters on British television suddenly changing into a woman *gasp*

We can't have that, can we?

The Daily Mail would go into meltdown!!!!!!

Gothmogxx 7th August 2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 356908)
Exactly. Something like Talons of Weng Chiang my dogs can understand, and its far superior television to all the timey wimey Riversongs my daughters, uncles, step son's parrots next door neighbour who is also your father bullshit.

You know I think "Talons" may be my favourite episode of all time. It was a better era... Hinchcliffe was a genius. I hope season 8 is more like classic seasons 12-14.

Hawkmonger 7th August 2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 357006)
Oh no! One of the most popular characters on British television suddenly changing into a woman *gasp*

We can't have that, can we?

The Daily Mail would go into meltdown!!!!!!

The Daily Fail will never be satisfied irregardless. But I have never seen any indication that timelords can change gender when they regenerate. If you want a dominant female lead Timelady theres both Romana and Iris Wildthyme.

PaulD 7th August 2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 357017)
The Daily Fail will never be satisfied irregardless. But I have never seen any indication that timelords can change gender when they regenerate. If you want a dominant female lead Timelady theres both Romana and Iris Wildthyme.

There was one line which referenced this in a a recent episode (The Doctor's Wife I think) but it seemed really throwaway and not enough to justify such a big change to the show's canon. No-one complained that River Song regenerated into another woman did they?

Suzi, it's honestly got nothing to do with people not wanting equality. It's just a bloody stupid idea. Let's reboot Superman as a woman! Wonder Woman as a man! It makes no sense.

Hawkmonger 7th August 2013 10:35 AM

The not to The Corsair? Yeah, a single throw away joke hardly consitutes a significant retcon. Also, in Death of the Doctor, 11 claimed he could regenerate 7500 times. No one even bothered to believe that, did they? And how come when Romana was trying out new bodies, she never tried a male one?

PaulD 7th August 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 357041)
The not to The Corsair? Yeah, a single throw away joke hardly consitutes a significant retcon. Also, in Death of the Doctor, 11 claimed he could regenerate 7500 times. No one even bothered to believe that, did they? And how come when Romana was trying out new bodies, she never tried a male one?

Word of God states that was a joke mind. But yeah, I totally agree with you.

PaulD 7th August 2013 03:00 PM

Watching the Children in Need Time Crash special again for funsies. Is there a "The Master is gay" joke in there? If not, I don't get the relevance of the 'beard' line

It's a lovely little piece. A bit too self-referential and disobeys the paradox rules of the series in a way but it really is quite sweet

Hawkmonger 7th August 2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357081)
Watching the Children in Need Time Crash special again for funsies. Is there a "The Master is gay" joke in there? If not, I don't get the relevance of the 'beard' line

Both Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley had beard. Geoffery Beevers used to have a beard, but he slipped a few to many time's with the blade...
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3mDTJtV7hJ5pgg

PaulD 7th August 2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 357111)
Both Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley had beard. Geoffery Beevers used to have a beard, but he slipped a few to many time's with the blade...
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3mDTJtV7hJ5pgg

No I get that. Sorry, I wasn't clear - what I meant was I wasn't sure on the relevance of the "no but he has a wife" line delivered as a punchline, as if Tenant was interpreting 'beard' as the slang for 'gay diversion'. I'm probably reading too much into it.

PaulD 7th August 2013 06:52 PM

Ah no I wasn't reading too much into it! It was meant as the joke I interpreted:

"When the Fifth Doctor asks if the Master "still has that rubbish beard," the Tenth replies, "No ... well, he had a wife." This was interpreted by some fans as being a gay culture reference; a "beard" is a slang term for a member of the opposite sex who joins a homosexual individual in a marriage or other relationship in order to mask the fact that one or both partners is gay. Moffat confirmed it as a gay joke in Death Ray Magazine in 2008, when he proudly claimed "I've got the record for gay jokes. I've got the gayest joke of all time in Doctor Who - I've got the "beard" joke about the Master". However, Moffatt referring to it as a joke highly suggests that this is not intended to suggest at the Master's orientation."

(From http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Crash_(TV_story)#Plot)

Hawkmonger 7th August 2013 10:11 PM

Hoping over from the BF forum, Adrics coming back next year once again played by Mathew Waterhouse and some people mentioned animocity between him and Peter Davison. Anyone got anything on this?

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th August 2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 357179)
Hoping over from the BF forum, Adrics coming back next year once again played by Mathew Waterhouse and some people mentioned animocity between him and Peter Davison. Anyone got anything on this?

You only have to listen to the dvd commentaries by the rest of the cast to know what they thought of Waterhouse.

Hawkmonger 7th August 2013 10:23 PM

I rarely get the chance to listen to them. Mind giving me a brief synopsis?

Roughale 8th August 2013 01:01 PM

I felt a bit like watching a little Doctor Who, so I picked up where I left and it was the start of year 3 with Tom Baker, namely The Mask of Mandragora and it was a fun ride as I hoped it to be. Nice witty sentences from Tom, some neat stuff helping him straight out of hisz coat pockets (my favourite was the rattle to scare the horses. But also a jojo made it into a scene...

Completely different to the New Doctor Who, but also very good!

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th August 2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 357182)
I rarely get the chance to listen to them. Mind giving me a brief synopsis?

He ain't popular with the other cast members, especially Janet Fielding.

Hawkmonger 8th August 2013 05:51 PM

twelfthdoctor.avi - YouTube

"He's ou-ge-ley!"

"OK, ****ity bye!"

:pound::pound::pound:

Susan Foreman 8th August 2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 357179)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357302)
He ain't popular with the other cast members, especially Janet Fielding.

He ain't popular with a lot of fans either!

Susan Foreman 9th August 2013 01:23 PM

More fuel for the fire?

Could Dad's Army hint at missing Doctor Who discovery? | News | Television @ The Digital Fix

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th August 2013 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Liking the artwork for The Tenth Planet.

Susan Foreman 15th August 2013 08:13 AM

Google Maps has a 'Doctor Who' Easter egg and it's amazing - Zap2it

Well, I'm buggered if I can work out how you actually get into it!

PaulD 15th August 2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 358907)
Google Maps has a 'Doctor Who' Easter egg and it's amazing - Zap2it

Well, I'm buggered if I can work out how you actually get into it!

You click on the double arrow under the TARDIS.

Susan Foreman 15th August 2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 358909)
You click on the double arrow under the TARDIS.

Got it now

For some reason, I couldn't see the double arrow before!

PaulD 15th August 2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 358910)
Got it now

For some reason, I couldn't see the double arrow before!

Damn perception filters.

Roughale 15th August 2013 10:45 AM

Can't find these bloody arrows either... :(

Found it, silly me was too close ;)

Susan Foreman 15th August 2013 11:47 AM

"Highlights from this year's Doctor Who Prom are to be shown on BBC One in a 75-minute programme starting at 4pm on Monday 26th August.

Two concerts were held over the weekend of 13th and 14th July, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the programme and featuring music by Murray Gold, accompanied by specially-edited visual clips. The concert programme also included the world première of Song For Fifty, Gold's anthemic tribute to the show.

The first concert was broadcast live by Radio 3 and recorded for television broadcast.

Hosted by Neve McIntosh as Madame Vastra and Dan Starkey as Commander Strax, the concerts also marked the classic era with a medley of sound effects by Brian Hodgson and music from The Daleks, The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Sea Devils, City of Death, Logopolis, The Five Doctors, and The Curse of Fenric, with Mark Ayres and Peter Howell on synthesisers and sound effects.

In addition, the Proms featured guest appearances by Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, Peter Davison, and Carole Ann Ford.

The concerts were performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and the London Philharmonic Choir, conducted by Ben Foster, with soloists Elin Manahan Thomas, Allan Clayton, and Kerry Ingram."

Doctor Who News: Doctor Who At The Proms TV Broadcast Time Announced

RedEyeTheCylon 16th August 2013 07:37 PM

Extras for The Tenth Planet DVD:

Disc 1
00:03:37:00 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - PHOTO GALLERY)
00:24:20:11 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - EPISODE 4 - RECONSTRUCTION)
00:29:08:11 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - FROZEN OUT

Disc 2

00:13:37:18 DOCTOR WHO STORIES ANNEKE WILLS
00:15:48:07 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - THE GOLDEN AGE)
00:19:31:08 BOYS! BOYS! BOYS!
00:24:23:01 COMPANION PIECE
00:03:16:13 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - WILLIAM HARTNELL INTERVIEW)
00:09:04:04 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - BLUE PETER)

The interview with Hartnell should be very interesting.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 07:41 PM

I had no idea it was a two disc set.

Susan Foreman 17th August 2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 359373)
Extras for The Tenth Planet DVD:

Disc 1
00:03:37:00 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - PHOTO GALLERY)
00:24:20:11 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - EPISODE 4 - RECONSTRUCTION)
00:29:08:11 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - FROZEN OUT

Disc 2

00:13:37:18 DOCTOR WHO STORIES ANNEKE WILLS
00:15:48:07 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - THE GOLDEN AGE)
00:19:31:08 BOYS! BOYS! BOYS!
00:24:23:01 COMPANION PIECE
00:03:16:13 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - WILLIAM HARTNELL INTERVIEW)
00:09:04:04 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - DVD EXTRAS - BLUE PETER)

The interview with Hartnell should be very interesting.

I thought the entire adventure was going to be released, with the final episode being animated. If it is, why is "00:24:20:11 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - EPISODE 4 - RECONSTRUCTION)" listed as an extra, when it should follow part 3?

Does this give a bit more credence to the suggestion that they have actually found the missing episode?

RedEyeTheCylon 17th August 2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 359479)
I thought the entire adventure was going to be released, with the final episode being animated. If it is, why is "00:24:20:11 (DOCTOR WHO - THE TENTH PLANET - EPISODE 4 - RECONSTRUCTION)" listed as an extra, when it should follow part 3?

Does this give a bit more credence to the suggestion that they have actually found the missing episode?

It'll probably just be the telesnap reconstruction of episode 4 which was on the VHS release.

Hawkmonger 19th August 2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 359479)

No. If memory serves correct, both The Invasion and the Reign of Terror where released with the animated episodes classified as extras. As they where not part of the original feature, they are lumped together as extras when certified.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2013 01:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
If anyone is interested Amazon are running the three Revisitations box sets at 5.08pm today as lightning deals.

They are all currently priced under £15 anyway so it should be a pretty cheap way to pick up three extras loaded stories for under a tenner per set.

trebor8273 19th August 2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 359854)
If anyone is interested Amazon are running the three Revisitations box sets at 5.08pm today as lightning deals.

They are all currently priced under £15 anyway so it should be a pretty cheap way to pick up three extras loaded stories for under a tenner per set.

Something that's actually good in amazons lighting deals, what's the world coming too, of outside to look for flying pigs!

Demoncrat 19th August 2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 359801)
No. If memory serves correct, both The Invasion and the Reign of Terror where released with the animated episodes classified as extras. As they where not part of the original feature, they are lumped together as extras when certified.

My Invasion just has them in the Episode Selection? Or am I missing something....

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 359856)
Something that's actually good in amazons lighting deals, what's the world coming too, of outside to look for flying pigs!

They've nearly all gone now, within five minutes.

I got the first Revisitations set as i got rid of my other dvd's a couple of years ago. £10.25 isn't bad but i was hoping for a bit more off.

trebor8273 19th August 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 359875)
They've nearly all gone now, within five minutes.

I got the first Revisitations set as i got rid of my other dvd's a couple of years ago. £10.25 isn't bad but i was hoping for a bit more off.

If they had been under a tenner I would of got them but really not that much of a saving as seen them around this price at other places

JoshuaKaitlyn 19th August 2013 06:16 PM

Just finished watching the entire original series via dvd, video and 'ahem' other sources! Took me a few years on and off! Enjoyed Hartnell's wasn't keen on Troughtons, Pertwee's later ones I remembered, Baker I grew up with, Davidson was interesting, Baker (2) hmm OK! McCoy's were absolutly dire! McGann was ok.

Susan Foreman 20th August 2013 07:01 AM

Gossip/rumours about the 2014 series:

"Doctor Who will return in 2014 for a new series, starring Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor alongside Jenna Coleman as Clara.

This news summary will be updated regularly as more details are revealed, with the latest updates at the top of each section. Rumours and unconfirmed reports will be marked with a *.

Showrunner/lead writer: Steven Moffat.

Executive producers: Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin.

Writers: Steven Moffat, Jack Lothian*, Chris Chibnall*, Neil Gaiman*, Neil Cross.

Main cast: Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, Jenna Coleman as Clara.

Series 8 filming begins: January 2014.

Guest cast: Roger Moore*.

Neil Gaiman: "I would love to write an episode for Season 8; it may well be that I’m over in Season 9, but I promise I haven’t gone away. The idea of writing for Peter Capaldi’s Doctor is one that I find so thrilling and exciting."

Neil Cross: "There's a whole bunch of stuff I want to do ... I have to find out from Steven [Moffat] what his intentions for the Doctor are and what sort of stories he wants me to write."

Steven Moffat: "[The return of River Song will] now be story-driven. If we’ve got an idea that she fits perfectly then there’s no reason why we can’t do it, but I quite liked where we got to at the end of 'The Name of the Doctor', with him saying goodbye to her. So we’ll see."

Jenna Coleman: "We couldn't get to know too much about her because she was a mystery [in Series 7]. It's going to be nice just to have her as a human, as a girl. There's quite a lot to explore still, I think."

Peter Capaldi: "Being asked to play The Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can't wait to get started."

Steven Moffat: "It's an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!"

Jenna Coleman: "I'm so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the Twelfth Doctor. With Steven's writing and his talent I know we'll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can't wait to start this new adventure!"

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning: "We started thinking Peter Capaldi might be the right person to take on this iconic part a few months ago. But it was only when he did a secret audition at Steven's house under the cover of darkness that we knew we had our man. He's an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything. We can't wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he's going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors."

Executive producer Brian Minchin: "My main job now is staring in awe at the 50th Anniversary Special and wondering ‘How the hell do we follow on from that?! Then, when I stop gawping and wondering, ‘How did they do that bit, and that one, and that bit!’ I will start work on the Christmas episode, written by Steven Moffat himself."

Executive producer Brian Minchin: "A whole new series! But we certainly won’t be releasing the details of that series right now in May 2013. Oh dear, that sounds mean! Well, I can tell you that I have just spent a very happy few days meeting some scarily clever writers, and we have an incredible set of stories to work on. More adventures ahead!"

Neil Gaiman: "...I haven’t done an episode set on Earth yet, and I haven’t created a new monster. So there are boxes left to tick. And there’s part of me that feels… I haven’t scared anybody yet. I’d love to do something that sends adults behind the sofa too and makes them wee. Pools of wee."

Matt Smith: "We come back and shoot the Christmas special over the summer, then we go on to the next series, which will either start filming at the end of this year or at the start of 2014."

Chris Chibnall: "...it would be great to write for [Jenna Coleman]"

Christmas 2013 special: 'The Twelfth Night'*
Wednesday 25 December 2013

Written by: Steven Moffat.
Directed by: Jamie Payne.

Steven Moffat: "Well, we are going to do it all [answering Series 5-7's remaining loose ends]. It’s going to end at Christmas. Yeah, [there will be closure] ... there’s a plan, and we will end the Eleventh Doctor’s run with the answers to some of those questions."

Steven Moffat: "...so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break, as we say goodbye to number Eleven."

Steven Moffat: "Of course, this isn't the end of the story, because now the search begins. Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become the Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again! After 50 years, that's still so exciting!"

Episode 1
August 2014*

Steven Moffat: "...there’s something about Matt’s Doctor that paves the way for Peter’s Doctor somehow. I can somehow absolutely believe that the strange old/young Matt Smith will turn into the strange young/old Peter Capaldi."

Jenna Coleman: "I know I'm not shooting [Series 8] until January."

Steven Moffat: "I think [late summer 2014 is] probably right [for Series 8's start date]. But these things change so often."

'Doctor Who': Series 8 news summary

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th August 2013 02:00 PM

I've seen rumours that Smith isn't actually in the Christmas special. The regeneration happens at the end of the fiftieth. Which would mean Smith wouldn't have to wear a wig and ties in with -

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning: We can't wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he's going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors."

A ten second appearance is hardly a premiere which is what would happen in a regen episode. Unless of course Smith falls off his exercise bike and regenerates at the start of the episode. :lol: