Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Shameless Collection (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   How do you watch your Giallo movies? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/shameless-collection/10472-how-do-you-watch-your-giallo-movies.html)

platostotal 5th February 2013 07:38 PM

Something I've done a couple of times with a Giallo I know well is to watch it in Italian WITHOUT subs, so as to get the 'feel' without the distraction of subs since I know what happens and what's being said, odd but true.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 09:23 PM

With my favourite bottle of Justerini & Brooks.

Sam 5th February 2013 09:36 PM

No particular order but, in the main, I do find giallo films more rewarding the second time around for some reason. I didn't care at all for 'The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh' the first time I watched it, for example, but really enjoyed it when I watched the Shameless release a few months ago.

Delirium 6th February 2013 08:13 AM

I've been rewatching a lot of gialli recently with the missus, as she's developed a taste for them - which I'm loving, as once upon a time she had no interest. I also think they more than stand up to repeat viewing.

The amusing thing is, as I originally saw them years ago, in some cases I actually forgot whodunnit!

Demoncrat 6th February 2013 10:40 AM

Whenever I get the chance. Or a new one. Yes, I rewatch the paltry number I have A LOT.

Beyond72 7th February 2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 319338)
Something I've done a couple of times with a Giallo I know well is to watch it in Italian WITHOUT subs, so as to get the 'feel' without the distraction of subs since I know what happens and what's being said, odd but true.

While I don't mind subs, I always watch with the English tracks as I'm hopelessly addicted to the dubbing.
(It's right up there with the cinematography and scores, on why I'm fond of gialli.)

It use to take me out the movies originally - as I'd try and remember what film/character I first heard a certain voice from.

But I love hearing the same old voices now and esp like it when someone like Edwige for example is given a well spoken English accent.

The Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion (1970) Le foto proibite di una signora per bene - YouTube

(Dagmar attended the best finishing school in Prague.)

platostotal 7th February 2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 319722)
While I don't mind subs, I always watch with the English tracks as I'm hopelessly addicted to the dubbing.
(It's right up there with the cinematography and scores, on why I'm fond of gialli.)

It use to take me out the movies originally - as I'd try and remember what film/character I first heard a certain voice from.

But I love hearing the same old voices now and esp like it when someone like Edwige for example is given a well spoken English accent.

The Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion (1970) Le foto proibite di una signora per bene - YouTube

Yep, the dubbing is always worth checking out, Theresa Russell voicing Daria in Tenebrae for example.

platostotal 7th February 2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 319722)

Yep, nice to find cool stuff in the dubbing like Theresa Russell voicing Daria in Tenebrae.

Mojo 7th February 2013 06:15 PM

Love gialli! ( c'mon Shameless! ) Preferably with a nice chilled bottle of Rose wine.

ReturnToZero 9th February 2013 02:24 PM

Like Beyond72 i also prefer the dubbed versions but if there is an italian track with english subs available on the disc i usually watch it that way the second time.

The reason i bought Shameless' Don't Torture a Duckling for example when already owned the BU disc.