All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2020, 06:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It does reinforce my view that anyone who gives away all their physical media owns nothing. They may think they could access anything they wanted via streaming but you really are at the whims of the streaming services. It can all be taken away from you just like that.

Imagine you were a season and a bit into League of Gentlemen on Netflix?

Tough shit!
Totaly agree I've argued with many of people about owning films over physical media, and how streaming platforms dedicate what you can and catch watch and how they can also censors a lot of stuff, and if certain films like AU trilogy and A Serbian film are you're thing chances are these type of films you're going to struggle to find anywhere online. And after a while even bog standard films disappear off these sites.

Last edited by gag; 11th June 2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11th June 2020, 09:52 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Although I don't agree with the decision to completely pull it from all streaming services, I understand why Little Britain (particularly Desiree DeVere and Ting Tong) would be seen as problematic for people who don't know the show is full of grotesque and extreme characters.

I am bemused by Netflix's decision to drop The League of Gentlemen and The Mighty Boosh because neither Papa Lazarou nor The Spirit of Jazz were minstrel-style blackface characters. Papa Lazarou is basically a demonic entity who has lived for centuries and The Spirit of Jazz is also a long way from the sort of Al Jolson-type blackface as you can see in this video:

In my opinion, the best solution would be to leave the shows, from Fawlty Towers to Little Britain and films from The Jazz Singer to The Dam Busters, as they are, but prefacing each episode with a screen saying something along the lines of 'This show contains characters and dialogue which some viewers may find offensive.'

However, that's my opinion as a straight, white man. I don't know whether someone who is black, transgender, or gay would feel differently.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 11th June 2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Inbetweeners gone from Youtube, Harry Enfield shows bound to be next.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
The more they delete the more their only helping sales of stuff encouraging people to go out and by these on DVD / blu ray and slowly destroying themselves where to extent some people will bit by bit start cancelling their prescriptions because they get fed up of finding nothing of interest to watch and being dictated what they can and can't watch, because some of the stuff they do like is slowly disappearing. Resulting and encouraging more and more illegal streaming sites to pop up showing stuff they want to watch that pay prescriptions won't .
Old 11th June 2020, 12:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Physical media – it's the future!
Old 11th June 2020, 01:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Inbetweeners has been removed from YouTube because YouTube no longer has the rights to the show:

Quote:
However, while some are wondering whether The Inbetweeners is the latest comedy show to be axed from streaming services, C4 has confirmed the decision is due to copyright reasons.

“The rights owner of The Inbetweeners (outside the UK) has changed from DRG to Banijay Group, so the standalone YouTube channel showing The Inbetweeners content has been taken down for the time being," a C4 spokesperson said. "Full episodes are still available on All 4.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9560251.html
Old 11th June 2020, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
The more they delete the more their only helping sales of stuff encouraging people to go out and by these on DVD / blu ray and slowly destroying themselves where to extent some people will bit by bit start cancelling their prescriptions because they get fed up of finding nothing of interest to watch and being dictated what they can and can't watch, because some of the stuff they do like is slowly disappearing. Resulting and encouraging more and more illegal streaming sites to pop up showing stuff they want to watch that pay prescriptions won't .
Your going to see a lot more of this in the future unfortunately. When the physical media formats are gone for good, then many shows from the past will probably disappear altogether. The only way to enjoy watching a fully uncut show will be from the DVD/Blu-Ray releases of the past. Personally I don't even bother much with streaming or paying a TV license to the BBC via Capita. I have a fairly extensive film and TV collection so that's me sorted. Screw all these dipsticks who get offended by whatever. Britain is becoming like a fully fledged nanny state. Soon you won't be able to take a ****ing leek in a public toilet without a Public Health England sign telling you how to properly take a pee. Sick to death of it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th June 2020, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict

Man, they can take away what they like but they can't take away memories, in this age of everyone having copies of films i don't think anything can cease to exist or be totally erased and people are idiotic for thinking it can be.

Out of sight out of mind.

With no context history ceases to be relevant and new generations will end up making the same mistakes their fathers did.

It's just a load of old bullshit.

If they're censoring the old stuff they also need to go into rap music and get all the stuff out that is offensive to white people, surprised Quentin Tarantino stuff is still untouched with the overuse of the N word.

Also if they're getting rid of all the blackface stuff they need to remove White Chicks the film from existence, it's a goddawful piece of shit anyway.

The whole thing about the past is it was in the past, thats why it's called the past.

People need to get a grip.

By banning and removing stuff it elevates it to a niche status that will always be preserved instead of just letting it fade away.

Video nasties etc...

Fahrenheit 451 anyone.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th June 2020, 08:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Man, they can take away what they like but they can't take away memories, in this age of everyone having copies of films i don't think anything can cease to exist or be totally erased and people are idiotic for thinking it can be.

Out of sight out of mind.

With no context history ceases to be relevant and new generations will end up making the same mistakes their fathers did.

It's just a load of old bullshit.

If they're censoring the old stuff they also need to go into rap music and get all the stuff out that is offensive to white people, surprised Quentin Tarantino stuff is still untouched with the overuse of the N word.

Also if they're getting rid of all the blackface stuff they need to remove White Chicks the film from existence, it's a goddawful piece of shit anyway.

The whole thing about the past is it was in the past, thats why it's called the past.

People need to get a grip.

By banning and removing stuff it elevates it to a niche status that will always be preserved instead of just letting it fade away.

Video nasties etc...

Fahrenheit 451 anyone.
Don't Be A Menace...

Scary Movie....

So it's ok if you're not white.

Dear idiots: Racism is there if you believe it to be. If you just live your life, be kind to everyone and focus on reality, all will be ok.

Every culture has enslaved another at some point. Stop living in the past & be grateful for what you have now.
nosferatu42 and iank like this.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Germans episode of Fawlty Towers has been taken from BBC iPlayer because of the racial slurs. It's my understanding that the Major is the target of the comedy and the butt of the joke, not ethnic minorities, as this clip illustrates:

nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!