Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Memory Lane: The TV Nostalgia Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/1343-memory-lane-tv-nostalgia-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 22nd February 2016 05:50 AM

Are You Being Served? 'dragged into modern era' with new BBC revamp - Telegraph

"The old guard will include Jason Watkins as Mr Humphries, Sherrie Hewson as Mrs Slocombe, John Challis as Captain Peacock, Roy Barraclough as Mr Grainger, Arthur Smith as Mr Harmon, Mathew Horne as Young Mr Grace (the original Mr Grace’s grandson), and Hollyoaks star Jorgie Porter as Miss Croft."

Oh Goddess! Sherrie Hewson talking about her pussy!

iank 22nd February 2016 07:14 AM

Never heard of her! John Challis is the only one I know, though Barraclough rings a vague bell.

Rik 22nd February 2016 08:38 AM

Christ, as if it wasn't shite enough to begin with, they're remaking it!

Susan Foreman 22nd February 2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 478889)
Are You Being Served? 'dragged into modern era' with new BBC revamp - Telegraph

"The old guard will include Jason Watkins as Mr Humphries, Sherrie Hewson as Mrs Slocombe, John Challis as Captain Peacock, Roy Barraclough as Mr Grainger, Arthur Smith as Mr Harmon, Mathew Horne as Young Mr Grace (the original Mr Grace’s grandson), and Hollyoaks star Jorgie Porter as Miss Croft."

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 478891)
Never heard of her! John Challis is the only one I know, though Barraclough rings a vague bell.

Jason Watkins - 'Being Human', 'Tomorrow Never Dies'
Sherrie Hewson - 'Coronation Street', 'Loose Women'
John Challis - 'Only Fools And Horses'
Roy Barraclough - Played Cissie (or possibly Ada) opposite Les Dawson
Arthur Smith - Stand-up comedian and Sid James look-a-like
Mathew Horne - Gavin And Stacey

iank 22nd February 2016 08:04 PM

Yeah, I vaguely recall Barraclough, still none the wiser on the others! :lol:

Susan Foreman 7th March 2023 09:34 AM

This seems as good a place as any to put this!

'Crown Court' was a television docu-drama series that ran for 879 episodes between 1972 to 1984. Broadcast in the afternoon, it was a programme my mum liked, and so I would always end up watching it on the occasions when I was faking illness and skiving off school!

Screened in 1973, the case 'Destruct, Destruct' is an example of what was perfectly acceptable back in the day - just watch the opening pre-credit sequence which depicts a children's game going horrifically wrong and ask yourself "would this be shown today, at 1:30pm"

Nordicdusk 7th March 2023 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 682799)
This seems as good a place as any to put this!

'Crown Court' was a television docu-drama series that ran for 879 episodes between 1972 to 1984. Broadcast in the afternoon, it was a programme my mum liked, and so I would always end up watching it on the occasions when I was faking illness and skiving off school!

Screened in 1973, the case 'Destruct, Destruct' is an example of what was perfectly acceptable back in the day - just watch the opening pre-credit sequence which depicts a children's game going horrifically wrong and ask yourself "would this be shown today, at 1:30pm"

That start is quite Grimm definitely makes an impact and the kid looked strangely satisfied with himself too. I'm actually interested to find out what happens now might give it a watch after work .

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th March 2023 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Haha! Love the way the boy removes his goggles and then stares blankly at the body.

Very Michael Myers like. I wonder if John Carpenter ever saw that on cable tv at the time?

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th March 2023 10:07 AM

I keep hoping network might release a complete set of Crown Court on dvd. There are a few volumes but nowhere near all of it. Probably only a couple of years at a guess.

I was too young to see the early years but i definitely saw episodes from the later series in the 80's. It ran for 11 or 12 years i think.

It's be expensive seeing as there's so much of it but grab it in a sale and it'd definitely be worth it.

As Susan said, it's not the sort of thing you get today.

Susan Foreman 7th March 2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 682802)
I keep hoping network might release a complete set of Crown Court on dvd. There are a few volumes but nowhere near all of it. Probably only a couple of years at a guess.

I was too young to see the early years but i definitely saw episodes from the later series in the 80's. It ran for 11 or 12 years i think.

It's be expensive seeing as there's so much of it but grab it in a sale and it'd definitely be worth it.

As Susan said, it's not the sort of thing you get today.

Talking Pictures TV are currently showing it on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays at 2:30pm