Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

iank 16th December 2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 594312)
1970s TV show soap :xmasjig:

One of all time faves! :xmastreedance:

trebor8273 16th December 2018 09:33 PM

Finished season one of Babylon 5 now watching season two.

gag 16th December 2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 594321)
One of all time faves! :xmastreedance:

I've never seen the spin off Benson have you ? And if so is it any good ?

iank 16th December 2018 10:14 PM

Not since I was a kid, I didn't really like it back then because it was just so different to Soap. :psychosanta:

Dave Boy 18th December 2018 01:07 PM

Started re-watching TOUR OF DUTY through again.

https://s3.thcdn.com/productimg/0/60...781-193890.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th December 2018 01:33 PM

Earlier this week I watched all three episodes of Mrs Wilson in one evening. It's a superbly written and acted miniseries, particularly so because Ruth Wilson is playing her real life grandmother, giving the events an extra sense of authenticity and meaning. This is particularly evident at the end of the last episode in a post-credits scene I found very emotional and hard-hitting. I could quite happily watch it again this year and highly recommend it to everyone who likes period dramas.

This is a bit different, but I'm currently re-watching the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I'm halfway through the third season. Watching the show in such a short space of time (usually three or four episodes each night) is good because it shows how the writing improves, the budget allows for more convincing visual effects, and it looks like the actors gradually settle into the characters and the relationships between them. It's a show which is very cleverly written and aware of the cinematic history, stories, and conventions of horror, sci-fi, and teenage dramas as it draws on all sorts of vampire lore and has references to such films as The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Network, Alien and The Exorcist.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th December 2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 594399)
Earlier this week I watched all three episodes of Mrs Wilson in one evening. It's a superbly written and acted miniseries, particularly so because Ruth Wilson is playing her real life grandmother, giving the offence an extra sense of authenticity and meaning. This is particularly evident at the end of the last episode in a post-credits scene I found very emotional and hard-hitting. I could quite happily watch it again this year and highly recommend it to everyone who likes period dramas.

What offence did she commit. I saw this was on but know nothing about it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th December 2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 594400)
What offence did she commit. I saw this was on but know nothing about it.

That should have said 'events', not 'offence'! It is now corrected.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th December 2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 594407)
That should have said 'events', not 'offence'! It is now corrected.

Oh right. I thought she had perhaps committed some sort of crime and that was the reason for the series.

Looking closer it's an intelligence murder mystery thing.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th December 2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 594409)
Oh right. I thought she had perhaps committed some sort of crime and that was the reason for the series.

Looking closer it's an intelligence murder mystery thing.

It's astonishing the difference that one word can make to how a TV miniseries can sound!

The story follows a woman, the titular Mrs Alison Wilson (Ruth Wilson), whose husband, Alec (Iain Glen), dies of a heart attack and she is shortly visited by someone about the same age who introduces herself as Mrs Wilson and says she was married to Alec. The timeline moves around from the second world war to the mid-1960s as Alison's relationship with her sons becomes increasingly strained and the information she uncovers about Alec puts pressure on her post around her.

It's quite hard to classify because it isn't a thriller like Bodyguard, Killing Eve, or The Night Manager, nor a War and Peace or Dickensian-style period drama. If anything, it's more of an understated family drama, but one with espionage as a backdrop. If anything, it's more like Mike Leigh's Secrets and Lies in terms of the impact that one person's secrets can have on everyone around them.