Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 499639)
it used to be that i would just watch one show at a time but now i switch between shows don't ask me why :lol:

I'm going to have to switch between shows in the next couple of days because Lovefilm are sending out the BBC miniseries War and Peace (2016) and the first disc of Jane Eyre (1973) today!

J Harker 1st August 2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 499642)
I'm going to have to switch between shows in the next couple of days because Lovefilm are sending out the BBC miniseries War and Peace (2016) and the first disc of Jane Eyre (1973) today!

I'd send them back.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 499644)
I'd send them back.

Get outa' here! :tongue1:

War and Peace was excellent!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 499644)
I'd send them back.

I've already seen War and Peace, and thought it was superb.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499645)

Agreed. That's why I'm looking forward to a rewatch.

J Harker 1st August 2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499645)

[emoji12]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 499646)
I've already seen War and Peace, and thought it was superb.

In fairness i don't know much about War & Peace, missus enjoyed it but the few bits i caught didn't interest. I've watched at least version of Jayne Eyre, bored me silly. I generally despise period dramas.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 499647)
Agreed. That's why I'm looking forward to a rewatch.

I'll probably buy it and also The Night Manager in a few months time. They are series which have plenty of re-watch value.

Justin101 1st August 2016 01:57 PM

I have the Timothy Dalton BBC version of Jane Eyre from 1983 ready to watch at home I just haven't got around to it yet.

You can't beat a bit of BBC Period Drama. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 02:03 PM

Agreed!

Has anyone seen the BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South starring Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe.

It's well worth picking up. As good as any tv i can remember, completely mesmerizing.

Justin101 1st August 2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499651)
Agreed!

Has anyone seen the BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South starring Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe.

It's well worth picking up. As good as any tv i can remember, completely mesmerizing.

I haven't but it's only a fiver, I'll add it on my wishlist and see how much I have left over before I get paid - this saving up for a holiday lark is boring :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 499652)
I haven't but it's only a fiver, I'll add it on my wishlist and see how much I have left over before I get paid - this saving up for a holiday lark is boring :lol:

:lol: You won't regret it, of that i'm sure.

It's only 34p used from MM via Amazon, plus postage.

Justin101 1st August 2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499653)
It's only 34p used from MM via Amazon, plus postage.

In that case it might be even cheaper from MM direct! I'll see if it's less than £1.60 on MM haha, I'm turning into Scrooge.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 499654)
In that case it might be even cheaper from MM direct! I'll see if it's less than £1.60 on MM haha, I'm turning into Scrooge.

It is, 9p cheaper.What are you waiting for? :lol:

Justin101 1st August 2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499655)
It is, 9p cheaper.What are you waiting for? :lol:

Ha, ordered for £1.51 - cheaper than my Latte on the way home. :thankingyou:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499649)
I'll probably buy it and also The Night Manager in a few months time. They are series which have plenty of re-watch value.

I'll see how much I enjoy War and Peace from this rental before deciding whether it'll be something to buy in 6-12 months. I can see myself buying The Night Manager in that period as well because it was superfluous television, which I imagine will stand up to repeated viewings.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 499650)
I have the Timothy Dalton BBC version of Jane Eyre from 1983 ready to watch at home I just haven't got around to it yet.

You can't beat a bit of BBC Period Drama. :nod:

I have The Fortunes & Misfortunes of Moll Flanders on the table by my bed along with a whole load of other unwatched TV shows (Thriller, Armchair Thriller, Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, Baywatch seasons 2-6, and a Steve Coogan boxset, amongst others) which I picked up from Amazon a few weeks ago for £4.22.

Justin101 1st August 2016 02:46 PM

I recently bought the complete 11 seasons of Frasier for £20 on Amazon Prime day the other week so I'm getting through that at a fast pace and in between Star Trek TNG - of which I'm up to season 6 now. So everything else has taken a backseat.

However, I did watch Casting the Runes the other day which I enjoyed!

Susan Foreman 1st August 2016 03:30 PM

Did no-one catch 'Cathy Come Home' on BBC4 yesterday?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 499661)
Did no-one catch 'Cathy Come Home' on BBC4 yesterday?

No, but I wish I had.

trebor8273 1st August 2016 06:02 PM

Finished Season one of preacher. fantastic stuff dark, funny and just plain weird at times i really can't wait for season 2

trebor8273 2nd August 2016 05:57 PM

Finished season 6 of true blood. One more season left

Rik 3rd August 2016 09:42 PM

I've been watching a load of Beavis & Butthead lately, picking episodes based on what music videos are in it. It's like being a teenager all over again!
37 years old, and I still laugh at this pair of juvenile idiots :lol:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iYD-uY_sq0..._by_mspisz.jpg

J Harker 3rd August 2016 10:32 PM

Just watched a brilliant episode of Tales of the Unexpected, Ep4. William and Mary, about a miserable old University Professor who agrees to be a guinea pig in an experiment to see if his brain can be kept alive independent of his body after his death. Elaine Stritch is hilarious as his long suffering wife who doesn't find out about this arrangement til its too late. Brilliant stuff!

J Harker 3rd August 2016 11:45 PM

Followed by another cracking one, Lamb to the Slaughter with Susan George and Brian Blessed.
Mary goes to the corner shop for some bits to make her policeman husband Patrick dinner. He's had a hard day and even though they normally eat out on Thursday he doesn't feel like going out. When Mary comes back from the shop ahe finds him dead on the floor. She manages to keep it together and call his colleague and friend Detective Jack Nolan (Brian Blessed) who rushes over with some officers and set to hunting for a murder weapon.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500124)
Followed by another cracking one, Lamb to the Slaughter with Susan George and Brian Blessed.
Mary goes to the corner shop for some bits to make her policeman husband Patrick dinner. He's had a hard day and even though they normally eat out on Thursday he doesn't feel like going out. When Mary comes back from the shop ahe finds him dead on the floor. She manages to keep it together and call his colleague and friend Detective Jack Nolan (Brian Blessed) who rushes over with some officers and set to hunting for a murder weapon.

Those are two strong episodes.

J Harker 3rd August 2016 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500125)
Those are two strong episodes.

Yep. I'm finding this show more consistent than Thriller.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500127)
Yep. I'm finding this show more consistent than Thriller.

Have you seen Poison yet? The one set in India? Judy Geeson almost wears something in that.

J Harker 4th August 2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500128)
Have you seen Poison yet? The one set in India? Judy Geeson almost wears something in that.

No, I've only seen the first four episodes. I've got the best of boxset that Network put out but currently Now TV have the complete 9 series showing.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500129)
No, I've only seen the first four episodes. I've got the best of boxset that Network put out but currently Now TV have the complete 9 series showing.

You should be fine with the 'best of', which will no doubt only contain top-tier episodes - probably the bulk (if not all) of the Dahl penned ones.

Overall I prefer Thriller to Tales of the Unexpected though, mainly as I find Thriller to be leaner and all killer and no filler compared to Tales which does have a few weaker episodes here and there - especially in later seasons when Dahl's presence disappears. However, Tales has some fantastic episodes, two of the best you've already seen and referenced above.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500124)

I haven't seen that episode, but know exactly what happens because my mum told me the story when I was a child.

iank 4th August 2016 08:18 AM

Season 3's The Flypaper is responsible for traumatising a nation of kids. :tongue1:

Justin101 4th August 2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

I started watching this t'other night and i'm up to episode 8 so far, it's bloody fantastic.

It's £4.00 on it's own (Amazon) but you can get it as part of a triple pack of 'Bronte at the BBC' for £7.00

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1VC941FQAL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Bron...rds=bronte+bbc

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

That's the one I have rented and watched the first disc on (I think) Tuesday, with the second disc arriving today. Compared to the more recent period dramas like Dickensian, War & Peace, and Mr Selfridge, it is incredibly stagey and looks very 'soft'. It seems period dramas really took off in 1995 with Pride and Prejudice and Moll Flanders and, over the last 20 years, have continued to benefit from high-quality writing, direction, casts, and everything associated with big budget TV shows.

Justin101 4th August 2016 09:13 AM

Definitely a lower budget than current dramas and while opulence is well and good it doesn't make or break a good story! There is a Jane Eyre from 2006 (I think) with Ruth Wilson as Jane, that one has been well received and had a more lavish budget.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 500146)
Definitely a lower budget than current dramas and while opulence is well and good it doesn't make or break a good story! There is a Jane Eyre from 2006 (I think) with Ruth Wilson as Jane, that one has been well received and had a more lavish budget.

Very true, but realistic settings and costumes make the story easier to digest. Also, I feel stories like this are best suited in hour-long blocks than half-hour ones (Dickensian and, apparently, Bleak House are probably the exception to the rule). When I have finished this one, however look out for the more recent Jane Eyre adaptation with Ruth Wilson and, if possible, add it to my Lovefilm list.

trebor8273 4th August 2016 05:12 PM

finished season one of stargate SG 1 and about to start the pilot episode of Voltron: Legendary Defender

Deadite 4th August 2016 05:17 PM

Do you get paid to watch tv or something? :lol:

trebor8273 4th August 2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 500209)
Do you get paid to watch tv or something? :lol:

been watching stargate on and off for weeks, its not like i watched the whole season since last time i posted !

Deadite 4th August 2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 500211)
been watching stargate on and off for weeks, its not like i watched the whole season since last time i posted !

Thank heavens! I was starting to wonder how many hours your day had. :nod:

I'm unsure whether to finish off Kolchak or series 6 of Warehouse 13.

trebor8273 4th August 2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 500219)
Thank heavens! I was starting to wonder how many hours your day had. :nod:

I'm unsure whether to finish off Kolchak or series 6 of Warehouse 13.

thought warehouse 13 only had 5 season?