Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > The VHS Vaults
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree259Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2014, 10:07 AM
Cult Rookie

I grew up on the tail end of the VHS boom, so missed the "golden age" where a movie could be made for pennies on the dollar straight to someones home or rental shop instead of releasing in theater.

I know most of the collection i had was given away or sold off years ago.

Looking back it was a terrible format, i never understood, even as a kid how companies made a movie that degraded and wore out after watching it, or a finicky VCR decided to munch the tape arbitrarily.

Does anyone remember the 'Tracking' feature on VCR's where the first 20 seconds of tape you stood there waiting to re-calibrate from the last tape you watched?

Also the funny telephone dialing at the beginning of each movie from the audio tape duplicating machine cutting the tape?

I'm happy with DVDs as a format.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:20 AM
Cult Rookie

Oh side note to VHS collectors...

A small US based mailing list was sending out a collectors edition of a movie called Taeter City. The set came with dvd + goodies + a VHS :O

I don't even own a VCR anymore and have no use of the VHS, if any collectors are interested this baby is up for trade! It was limited to 100 copies made and the movie (makes little sense) is a gore fest! I can take pictures if needed but its mint condition VHS in a large plastic clam package. Message me if interested.
Old 29th January 2014, 05:50 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Very nice! I've only just got back into collecting vhs. I got rid of nearly all my sell through vids years ago but kept a few favourites along with some of my old big boxes.
eBay is my only buying option at the moment unfortunately. I'm desperate to find someone local to me in the midlands who perhaps owns ex rental stock or maybe has some to sell that I might be after.
If any here does or knows of any leads please pm me.
I have a lot of pre certs for sale / trade , let me know if interested.
Old 29th January 2014, 06:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smagmata View Post
I grew up on the tail end of the VHS boom, so missed the "golden age" where a movie could be made for pennies on the dollar straight to someones home or rental shop instead of releasing in theater.

I know most of the collection i had was given away or sold off years ago.

Looking back it was a terrible format, i never understood, even as a kid how companies made a movie that degraded and wore out after watching it, or a finicky VCR decided to munch the tape arbitrarily.

Does anyone remember the 'Tracking' feature on VCR's where the first 20 seconds of tape you stood there waiting to re-calibrate from the last tape you watched?

Also the funny telephone dialing at the beginning of each movie from the audio tape duplicating machine cutting the tape?

I'm happy with DVDs as a format.
The funny thing was... it seemed like a fantastic piece of kit at the time "you mean I can record the footy and watch it later??" pre-recorded films with 'stero' sound, small rental shops popping up everywhere. But as you say, when in the cold light of day you look back at the problems (my pet hate was trying to clean the drum to get rid of the 'snow' only to put in an old tape and dirty it up all over again) they did seem to be a hassle, but before them... far far worse waiting for a good cult movie to show up on one of all of the three channels on UK tv.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:14 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
far far worse waiting for a good cult movie to show up on one of all of the three channels on UK tv.
Only three television channels!

Those were the days

For those who are too young to remember, or those who cannot understand the concept, until the early 1980's, England only had three TV channels.

These were Channel 5, Sky One and QVC.

Nothing else existed in those glory days
Demoncrat and Maxsimmus like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th January 2014, 08:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
three channels on UK tv.
And then Channel 4 turned up and began courting controversey,showing 'RED TRIANGLE FILMS' late at night,which consisted of mostly Eurocine type 'classics' if I remember correctly.

Had there ever been 'mucho bush showing' on UK TV before this?
platostotal likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 29th January 2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 29th January 2014, 09:15 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
And then Channel 4 turned up and began courting controversey,showing 'RED TRIANGLE FILMS' late at night,which consisted of mostly Eurocine 'classics' if I remember correctly.

I remember the RED Triangle films being shown, though not the films themselves other than "Out of the Blue" and a Japanese film which had a woman being raped in a shower by a football team and a naked man singing and playing guitar in a tree! Red triangle (Channel 4) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29th January 2014, 11:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
And then Channel 4 turned up and began courting controversey,showing 'RED TRIANGLE FILMS' late at night,which consisted of mostly Eurocine type 'classics' if I remember correctly.

BBC2 showed a documentary on Andy Warhol that included scenes from Trash, Heat and other films that culminated in Joe Dallesandro having a ribbon tied round his knob by two full frontal naked women, although late night (around 1978-79) couldn't believe what I was watching on the beeb.
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:40 PM
Cultist

Couple more of my favourites . . .

Old 2nd February 2014, 11:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsimmus View Post
Couple more of my favourites . . .

That ZH tape was everywhere in the late 80s, saw it untold times, what was odd is they must have printed up loadsa copies cause the boxes were non standard 'softies' but could be found at car boots and for sale at rental shops, got a copy for £2.50 as an ex rental in 89(tape was chewed up over final credits so let my mate have it about 10 years ago) again nice to see it's still around.

Like this? Share it using the links below!