Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1930's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2008, 07:11 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tell me about it! I'm 23 and my brother is 19. Until very recently he wouldn't watch anything that I suggested to him by way of older films. It's only since doing an A Level in Film Studies and starting a Screen Studies degree that he has started watching stuff made before he was born!

My favourite video shop was Pick-A-Flick in Crosby. It's now an opticians instead. After the advent of DVD he did keep going quite successfully but decided to sell up - I think he wanted early retirement - and the people who bought it kept it going for a very short while before gutting it and moving in their opticians business. Crap. It's truly poor because Pick-A-Flick had an ace VHS horror section with some amazing exploitation titles. Even when I was too young to rent them myself I used to love just going in and admiring the box art!
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:05 PM
Cultist

Send a message via AIM to snipsmovies Send a message via MSN to snipsmovies Send a message via Yahoo to snipsmovies

Yeah its weird, huh ? Everyone needs to be influenced by either a medium (book / documentary) or a mentor of some kind. I forget who got me on the horror trail. I think it was one of my mate's when I was about 13/14. It was a lad's sleepover and the chosen film was 'Witchboard', he knew a bit about the background to ouija boards and the occult (pretty freaky at that age) and gave us this eerie pep talk prior to the movie, so much so that when the movie came on we were all climbing the ceiling. That was pretty much it from then on, I was formally inducted into the horror genre.

I think the art was pretty groovy too on the cover !!!
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:20 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I have fond memories of renting Betamax videos (I had one in preference to VHS) from Rickards (our local video shop) in the early 80's. Great fun.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:35 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Time to revive this thread. How many other fans are there here of the classic Universal or RKO days when Lugosi, Karloff & Chaney stalked the earth?
Old 21st July 2009, 10:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep classics,DRACULA,THE WOLF MAN ,FRANKENSTEIN.and THE MUMMY are my faves.The original FRANKENSTEIN whacks the sequel every time.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Ooh controversial one there. The Bride Of Frankenstein is normally regarded as THE classic Universal horror film.

In some ways I agree though. It's definitely brilliant and I never tire of it, though the humour does tend to be a bit too overpowering at times.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

VERY controversial.I love BRIDE,but prefer the original.So do the kids.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:48 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Wolf Man is possibly my favourite. It just drips with atmosphere. Also still love Lugosi's original Dracula, despite its creakiness.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'll tell you what though V,my all time favourite oldie is Rouben Mamoulian's DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JekyllHyde1931.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 21st July 2009, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Without doubt a classic. Spencer Tracy had a loyal go but never came close to March (and Tracy is my all time favourite actor).

None of the later versions has ever topped this one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!