Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1950's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree167Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2012, 11:16 AM
Blogs Moderator

I'm very excited about this release.

Note the inclusion of the Four Sided Triangle. Not the most exciting Hammer film but as a bonus feature it's illuminating. For those unfamiliar, it's a rather quaint and terribly English mad boffins in the countryside tale that has obviously pointers to where the studio would take its output when their horror movies broke through.
Old 12th October 2012, 01:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I was hoping to have a shipping email from Zavvi today, so it will arrive on Monday, not looking likely now but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th October 2012, 01:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
OUT MONDAY

VISIT THE OFFICIAL FANHUB HERE

Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate are proud to present Terence Fisher's Gothic classic THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN fully restored in High Definition and for the first time in its original “Academy” ratio of 1.37:1.

Available 15th October in the UK & Ireland on 3-disc Double Play, the pack comprises 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD and includes the infamous “eyeball” scene, which was originally censored but has now been fully restored. As well as an alternate version of the feature at the widescreen ratio of 1.66:1, the release also includes brand new documentaries and commentary track, multiple bonus extras and a stills show.

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN is a classic 1957 horror film by Hammer Film Productions, based on the novel Frankenstein (1816) by Mary Shelley. It was Hammer's first colour horror film, and the first of their Frankenstein series. Its worldwide success led to several sequels as well as the studio's versions of Dracula (1958) and The Mummy (1959) and established “Hammer Horror” as a distinctive and uniquely British brand of Gothic cinema. The film was directed by Terence Fisher and starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in two of their most iconic roles for Hammer.

Baron Victor Frankenstein is the archetypal aristocrat: well-read, cultured and arrogant. Beyond the sophisticated veneer exists a cruel, utterly unscrupulous man, obsessed with ambition. Determined to realise his greatest dream, to create life, he assembles a creature from organs gathered from various unwilling donors.

The creature is successfully brought to life but the instability of the brain, irretrievably damaged, causes uncontrollable and violent spasms that result in indiscriminate murder… and it is the Baron to whom the blame is laid, with fatal consequences

FEATURES

SINGLE Blu-ray 50 DISC: - HD Main Feature – Never before released “Academy” ratio” 1.37:1 83 mins – DTS MA 2.0 - HD “The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version)” - Alternate Aspect Ratio 83mins – DTS MA 2.0 - New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby - Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive) - Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary) - Four Sided Triangle (Bonus feature film) 80 mins - Tales of Frankenstein (Bonus TV pilot) 25 mins - World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins - Stills show - English HOH subtitles for main feature

DOUBLE DVD: DISC #1: - Main Feature – Never seen before “Academy” ratio” 1.37:1 83 mins - DD 2.0 – English HOH subtitles - “The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version)” - Alternative Aspect Ratio 83mins - DD 2.0 - New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby DISC #2: - Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive) - Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary) - Four Sided Triangle (Bonus feature film) 80 mins - Tales of Frankenstein (Bonus TV pilot) 25 mins - World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins - Stills show - All-new PDF booklet “The Creator’s Spark: Hammer’s Frankenstein Begins” with text by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson
Sam - with all due respect, I mentioned this back in August!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/curr...e-october.html

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th October 2012, 02:16 PM
Blogs Moderator

and I thank you.

This is an out shortly reminder with all the specs and a website attached, not intended to step on any toes.
Old 12th October 2012, 03:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I was hoping to have a shipping email from Zavvi today, so it will arrive on Monday, not looking likely now but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!
Spoke too soon, it's been dispatched but it still won't arrive until maybe Tuesday or Wednesday I don't think
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th October 2012, 07:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

SUPERB!
One of Hammer's finest,this has been long awaited on hi def!
Cushing was the best Baron.Bar none.
Grand Moff Frankenstein.

Roll on Dracula soon!
Sam@Cult Labs, Rik and Hawkmonger like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Just noticed.Four Sided Triangle flung in as well.Cheers!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
SUPERB!
One of Hammer's finest,this has been long awaited on hi def!
Cushing was the best Baron.Bar none.
Roll on Dracula soon!
I asked Hammer on Twitter what titles were next on the agenda and they said Dracula was one of them and they Tweeted about putting the finishing touches on it:

Hammer ‏@hammerfilms
@JessicaDwyer Very cool! We're currently putting the finishing touches to our restoration of aka #DRACULA1958! #HammerHorror

They've also responded about the recent cropping scandal on Facebook today
https://www.facebook.com/hammerfilms

For those members not on Facebook, here is the comment:

Hi *** ******, was it ever compromised by "poor framing"? We suggest that those who are currently unhappy (many of whom haven't actually seen the entire 1.66:1 transfer) widen (ha!) their frame (ha again!) of reference... We'll post in detail to the Restoration Blog early next week...
Old 13th October 2012, 10:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

I watched this last night in bed. I remember reading a review of the Hammer Horror Originals box set in DVD Review so i went and bought it and ive kept it ever since. Ive found it a good set. And since owning it its made me into a Hammer fan
Old 13th October 2012, 01:45 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I watched this last night in bed. I remember reading a review of the Hammer Horror Originals box set in DVD Review so i went and bought it and ive kept it ever since. Ive found it a good set. And since owning it its made me into a Hammer fan
I'd love to land the job doing these Hammer covers. I know people really shouldn't use Cult Labs to promote their tacky etchings but what the hell, I will anyway! Here's my COF again. Maybe Studio Canal will give me a ring and rescue me from having to do any more Ilsa commissions!

Like this? Share it using the links below!