Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2012, 02:49 PM
Cult Addict

Having seen this version of DEVIL RIDES OUT projected on the big screen, its nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out, though hammer could have saved themselves a lot of grief sticking the origional on as well to shut people up.

If I had the option I would actually prefer to go with this new version, the effects are handled sympathetically and do not jar with the rest of the film at all, in fact for the most part I barely noticed them at all and I was REALLY looking. The Angel of death scene is the best example, as its the one sequence that always came across as pretty poorly executed in terms of the effects, this new version works much better and actually helps improve the scene. I didn't notice the CG clouds at all and for my money I was very pleased with the end result, so much so I just pre-ordered the disc.
Old 10th October 2012, 03:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Great to hear an alternative opinion, thanks dude !
Old 10th October 2012, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

These new tweaks have annoyed me, but that hasn't made me cancel my order. I'm sure most people will have a different opinion once they have seen the new version, me included. Plus, if I want to watch the old version, I can always put my DVD on so everyone's a winner baby and that's the truth
keirarts and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th October 2012, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Amen brother....seeing as I don't love the film enough to upgrade, I'll be keeping it strictly old-school with the Hammer box edition, but definitely would love to hear how this goes down with the Lab when discs are sent out...
Old 10th October 2012, 03:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
would love to hear how this goes down with the Lab when discs are sent out...
I'm sure they'll be a multitude of posts and opinions when they arrive, although I'll be waiting until 3 weeks tonight to watch my copy
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th October 2012, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict

All I can say is I saw it projected on a full size cinema screen and it looked better than I ever saw it, the effects are not another george lucas as it changes nothing regarding the films intent and frankly I have never enjoyed the film as much. (it was also nice to meet Patrick mower at the sceening, a real gent!)
Old 11th October 2012, 05:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't think fans need to 'shut up'. I still stand by my belief that film revisionism is unnecessary.

You see, I also see HD restorations as a form of film preservation as well, for future generations. The film should be captured exactly as it originally screened. Preserve it as is. All this tinkering and 'improving' films is ****ing me right off. I find it unacceptable.
zane likes this.
Old 11th October 2012, 06:05 PM
Cult Addict

I never said fans needed to shut up, that's twisting my words a little unfairly, I merely suggested including the origional version would have pre-empted the outcry and avoided any negative word of mouth regarding the enhancements. That way people would have the version origionally screened (which I already do on dvd) and the new version with the effects completed as they were meant to be.

I'd still watch the new release over the older one, even though i've seen the film about 20 odd times over the years on vhs and later dvd, and this version works better.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I never said fans needed to shut up, that's twisting my words a little unfairly, I merely suggested including the origional version would have pre-empted the outcry and avoided any negative word of mouth regarding the enhancements. That way people would have the version origionally screened (which I already do on dvd) and the new version with the effects completed as they were meant to be.

I'd still watch the new release over the older one, even though i've seen the film about 20 odd times over the years on vhs and later dvd, and this version works better.
Yeah, I guess I did twist your words a little, it just seemed like you felt that people's complaints were unwarranted. My apologies for that.

But I do feel really strongly about this. In a recent interview Spielberg expressed his regret over digitally twaeking ET. He now vows never to do it ever again to any of his films. His argument being that films, over time, document a progression of filmmaking techniques and highlights the advancements made. They should be preserved as an historical record.

I'm not actually against a director or whomever going back and making alterations to their films, but also give us the option of seeing it as it was originally.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:59 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Yeah, I guess I did twist your words a little, it just seemed like you felt that people's complaints were unwarranted. My apologies for that.

But I do feel really strongly about this. In a recent interview Spielberg expressed his regret over digitally twaeking ET. He now vows never to do it ever again to any of his films. His argument being that films, over time, document a progression of filmmaking techniques and highlights the advancements made. They should be preserved as an historical record.

I'm not actually against a director or whomever going back and making alterations to their films, but also give us the option of seeing it as it was originally.
no arguments there, I'm surprised hammer didn't include both versions for archival purposes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!