Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree333Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm struggling with the order of mine, anyway here's the Top 5, which I don't think will change.

1. Dawn of the Dead
2. The Exorcist
3. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4. Zombi 2
5. Halloween

Pretty predictable I know
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm struggling with the order of mine, anyway here's the Top 5, which I don't think will change.

1. Dawn of the Dead
2. The Exorcist
3. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4. Zombi 2
5. Halloween

Pretty predictable I know
I know Nos is going to kill me, but 'The Exorcist' is overrated.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Each to their own I guess, I love the film (the book more so, which I read at least once a year), I can see why others don't though, because it can drag a bit during the middle
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

The 70s are my favourite decade for horror.
Loads to choose from but top ten would be ( in no particular order )

Suspiria
Deep Red
Zombie Flesh Eaters
The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue
Frightmare
Shivers
Vampire Circus
The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
The Wicker Man
Squirm

plus loads more!
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just a heads up in case some haven't seen Tourist Trap, as I highly recommend you do.
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:38 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

'The Satanic Rites of Dracula' is crap. Not even Lee or Cushing can save this flick.

Old 3rd April 2013, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
'The Satanic Rites of Dracula' is crap. Not even Lee or Cushing can save this flick.

Don't think there's gonna be any Cushing or Lee
vampire business in mine.

Old 4th April 2013, 08:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
'Overrated' is a strange term as it means different things to different people and, as with any film, if you expect a masterpiece you'll probably be disappointed but if you're expecting total crap you will be more than happy.

I've said on numerous occasions I considered to be the greatest horror film ever made (yes, even better than Nosferatu!) and, even after well over 100 viewings, it still stands out as a great work of cinema and one of the landmarks of modern horror.
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 4th April 2013, 09:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
'Overrated' is a strange term as it means different things to different people and, as with any film, if you expect a masterpiece you'll probably be disappointed but if you're expecting total crap you will be more than happy.

I've said on numerous occasions I considered to be the greatest horror film ever made (yes, even better than Nosferatu!) and, even after well over 100 viewings, it still stands out as a great work of cinema and one of the landmarks of modern horror.
I totally agree! The Exorcist broke new ground in it's making and marketing (the Church, arguably, playing a huge role in advertising it). The hype surrounding it was like nothing seen before but was justified, a claim that cannot be made by many horror films.

I went to the ABC Cinema in Sheffield to see The Exorcist at the tender age of 14. As my friend's mother was on the box office that night I went incognito, a brown paper bag on my head with eye holes cut out. She had been tipped off, I'm sure (or it might have been because she knew me TOO well), because she said laughing, "it's okay, Lez, you can have a complimentary tonight."

Do you know, I can't recall what was the supporting feature now? Maybe it was because it was forgettable, but I believe it's because I was focused on the main feature. Lots of individual scenes from the whole experience are imprinted on my mind; Mrs Marsh's laugh at my silly prank, the protesters outside the cinema, the guy who stood up after Reagan's head did the 360 and fainted, St John's Ambulance volunteers taking him out of the auditorium, and getting home to find Rosemary's Baby on t.v. and thinking how insipid it was compared to The Exorcist!

In conclusion I believe that The Exorcist is an immensely important film historically, culturally and personally and because of it's impact on the future of cinema. It truly is THE film of the 1970s, not just the horror film of the 1970s.

p.s. I hope this is a better colour for you Prince, me owld china

Monster Magnet
Old 4th April 2013, 10:19 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I wish I was old enough to have seen it in 1973/74 but I was lucky enough to catch it when it was rereleased in 1998. I saw it at a midnight showing and it was – and remains – the most powerful film I've ever seen in the cinema and an extraordinary experience.

Like this? Share it using the links below!