Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2010, 05:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Had a glance through DVD Review when I was in WHSmith today and there was a review of the new Blu-ray which raved about the transfer but said the extras were rubbish (aside from the commentary)
Well to be fair they have the right to give a critical opinion, no? I personally preferred the Anchor Bay extras (and packaging) myself.

They also gave a full page recently to Silent Night, Deadly Night so no too Hollywood!
Old 30th January 2010, 06:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not too many Hollywood releases in December to review Calum.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th January 2010, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Well to be fair they have the right to give a critical opinion, no? I personally preferred the Anchor Bay extras (and packaging) myself.

They also gave a full page recently to Silent Night, Deadly Night so no too Hollywood!
Who's saying they dont? not me, I only posted what they said.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 31st January 2010, 01:08 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:

Well, that's definitely a good thing, I reckon. It's not a genre mag, so I don't expect them to focus too much on niche titles. It's just that when the mag first launched in early '99 the reviewers were obviously passionate about film - and the new technology of DVD. Towards the end of '99 the mag seemed to switch gear and suddenly the mag seemed to read like one long advert for a select few titles. That turned me off, to be honest, so I stopped picking it up. Maybe they've reverted back to their original form now...?
Old 31st January 2010, 10:20 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I personally preferred the Anchor Bay extras (and packaging) myself.
I don't hate the new blu-ray packaging.It's not great but i've seen worse.Two things that could have been better,the Suspiria font and not having that stupid taking trash seriously logo.They should have got the Shameless and Arrow designers to come up with something!

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 1st February 2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:29 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
I personally preferred the Anchor Bay extras (and packaging) myself.
I preferred the Anchor Bay extras/packaging too. The booklet was superb.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm keeping my original, three-disc special edition DVD set from Anchor Bay USA. It's such a nice release, coming complete with the soundtrack CD. The extras on the ABUS release are good but they're not great. I think Nouveaux's extras are quite thoughtful and definitely very interesting, especially the audio commentary (which I've heard about half of so far). Though I'm keeping the US DVD for the extras and soundtrack CD I won't be revisiting the film via that disc again. The Nouveaux Blu-ray is most definitely my favoured way of experiencing SUSPIRIA from now on.
Old 1st February 2010, 04:08 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And for those people who have the disc,what do you think of the restoration by Technicolor?.I've seen some pictures and the contrast seems extremely overblown in some scenes compared to the Anchor Bay dvd.
Old 1st February 2010, 04:29 PM
Active Cultist

I think it's an image that the vast majority of people will be very happy with. However, I'm going to stick with the ABUS disc (which is better than the ABUK) for the moment. The colours on the bd seem a bit off and the contrast is unquestionably too high. But I can be very fussy and OCD about these things. Still, going back down to SD resolution's not pretty once you've sampled Suspiria in HD. And there are many scenes where the blu ray simply looks much better than the dvd.

I absolutely recommend the blu ray, which as I said, has an image I suspect 90% of people will love, as well as the fixed soundtrack and a cracking commentary by Jones and Newman.
Old 1st February 2010, 04:32 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks Rob.Sets my mind at ease a little.

Like this? Share it using the links below!