Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2013, 08:12 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The film has another great JC score too.
The music below being my favourite.

http://youtu.be/wmC8RTcL7Sw
Old 17th February 2013, 09:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Haven't read the book myself. Any good?

Carpenter extracted the best bits.As with most King books,there's a lorra pages in there!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th February 2013, 11:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Read the book a couple of times, in my teens. Loved the book, thought the film was ok. I didn't like how Carpenter presented it as a 'killer car' - in the book it's more like a haunted house on wheels, with the first owners ghost having a lot more to do with the story.
The car is shown as evil from when it's on the production line, in the film. In the book it's haunted by an evil owner.
Still, not a bad film in its own right.
I'd agree with this. I think the book is terrific and, to be fair, I don't really mind Carpenter changing the focus somewhat. King's a writer and Carpenter's a filmmaker, so I respect the differences in approach.

As I've said, it's not a favourite film of mine even though I don't mind it, but the TT disc just isn't an essential for me.
Old 18th February 2013, 06:19 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I really loved this film when I saw it years ago so am in the mood to see it again. I wasn't interested in paying what I consider to be over the odds for the TT disc but noticed that the SE dvd is on Amazon used for £4 so am likely to pick that up shortly.
Old 3rd March 2013, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Haven't read the book myself. Any good?
The book is very good and it would have made the film even better if it had shared its bleaker ending...

Apparently our discs should start shipping from tomorrow too
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 5th June 2016, 05:26 PM
Cultist

I adore this movie so much. I know it's not considered one of the better King adaptations, nor do most folks rank it among the best of Carpenter's work. Maybe it's not. But that doesn't prevent it from being one of my personal favorites.

It's my favorite King book. And, if nothing else, it's my favorite Carpenter soundtrack (it's the one I write to most frequently, anyway). I love how it's more than just a tale of supernatural horror, it's also a dark coming-of-age story. You could even call it a twisted romance.

If anyone is interested, here's a little essay I wrote a while back (on a site endorsed by King himself) about the book and how it spoke to me. It applies to the movie as well:

Made It Out Alive: My Own Love Affair With Christine by James Newman | Stephen King Revisited

Like this? Share it using the links below!