Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Best Nightmare On Elm Street?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best Nightmare On Elm Street?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2013, 04:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default The Nightmare on Elm Street Series

Having picked up the entire series on Blu (1 - 7) I thought I'd do a watch through, chronologically, of all the films. And I kicked off with...

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

A bunch of teens realise they're all being terrorised by the same man in their dreams. They can't figure out what's happening, but one-by one they're being picked off in deliciously violent fashion by this monster. Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) begins to unravel the mystery and dfiscovers that this horribly burnt monster is Fred Krueger, a child killer who was hunted down and burnt alive by the irate parents of Elm Street after being freed on a technicality - and now he's back for revenge by claiming the lives of their children.

Freddy isn't the mischievous, wise-cracking character that he becomes in the later films - here he's pure evil and thoroughly menacing. The Blu transfer is lovely and breathes new life into the film and I enjoyed revisiting it again (even though I've already seen the standalone Blu release). Looking forward to catching up with the rest now.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

Hot on the heels of the runaway success of the first film comes this rather odd sequel. Directed by Jack Sholder it tells the story of Jesse (Mark Patton) who is being menaced by Freddy. Freddy wants Jesse to kill for him and wants to use his body as a gateway into the real world. As noted in the extras, although the film did well, people weren't too happy with seeing Freddy in the real world outside of the dreams, so the future sequels would focus on elaborate dream set pieces.

Having watched it again, I can certainly see what everyone means when they talk about the rather overt homo-erotic subtext to the film. Some of the lines really had me cringing. Still, taken for what it is, it's an enjoyable ride, but not the best of the series by a long chalk.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

Heather Langenkamp reprises her role as Nancy for this one, and she's now working with troubled teens who, it transpires, are also being menaced by Freddy in their dreams. Apparently this bunch of teens are the last of the Elm Street kids and Freddy is still after vengeance. The teens are being picked off one-by-one and Nancy mentors them on how to defeat Freddy by sharing a group dream. This is the film that really established the image of Freddy as a wisecracking icon of horror. And John Saxon also comes back to help out a bit, but not much - and gets killed for his trouble! Poor Nancy, although it doesn't seem to trouble her much.

After the first film, this is probably the next best of the series with an interesting script and some neat ideas. I must confess, I really enjoyed this one again. It's a lot of fun.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)

Freddy's first order of business is to dispatch the remaining Dream Warriors from part 3 - all except for one. He wants to keep just one alive so that she will open up the dreams of new victims for him.

It's all a bit of a mish-mash but director Renny Harlin does the best he can with a muddled script. The Blu looks brilliant though - a lot more colourful than previous releases and the level of detail is very good. So, nice Blu, not so great film.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

In this instalment Freddy is stalking Alice, who survived the previous film. Thing is, she's pregnant, and Freddy can access the dreams of Alice's friends through the dreams of her sleeping, unborn child. There's also some silly sub-plot involving Freddy's mother.

Whilst this film does provide a bit more backstory for Freddy, it's ultimately a bit of a stinker. There's a few inventive dream set-pieces, but on whole it's not very good. The BD transfer is immaculate - just a shame the film is a bit shit and quite forgettable. There's nothing in this one that really sticks in the mind.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

Well, the title is a lie, as two more films followed. This entry really is woeful and the real low point of the entire series.

Freddy has killed all the children of Springwood and left is a ghost town haunted by its remaining adult occupants, all childless now. Freddy starts infiltrating dreams and manages to draw a group of hapless teens and their adult supervisor into Springwood. Oh, and there's some bollocks about Freddy having a daughter. This is just bad on every conceivable level. They attempted to spice things up with a 3D finale (which isn't presented in 3D on the Blu). I remember watching this on VHS years ago and having to slap on some silly glasses for the finale and the 3D was rubbish.

I'm thankful this wasn't the last Elm Street film, as it would've been a really sour note to finish on.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)

Wes Craven creates probably the first post-modern film, or at least points the way to one, with this wrap-up sequel (if we discount Freddy vs Jason). Here, the cast of the first film play themselves and realise that the script that Wes is writing is becoming a reality. The genie is out-of-the-bottle, as they say in the film. Freddy has become real and is stalking the real Heather Langenkamp. It's a neat idea and works for the most part. Although the ending felt a bit rushed and cobbled together. I'd have expected a more explosive finale to what was one of the most popular horror franchises of all time. Instead it's all a bit rubbery, fake and unimpressive - with unnecessary humour. But up until the somewhat anti-climactic finale, it's a pretty good horror show.

So, having watched the entire series almost back-to-back, it's easy to see how the series went into rapid decline after the third entry (which is still one of my favourites). A good idea that was well-constructed in the first film by Craven and taken in new different directions as the series progresses. the problem is that the films never really progress after the third and only occasionally throw in some new stuff or backstory to Freddy. Still, taken for what it is, it's an enjoyable enough franchise and there are some moments of true brilliance to be found scattered throughout. And I definitely recommend the Blu set if you can find it relatively cheap and you enjoy the films.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Great write-up Dae!

I still don't think I've seen parts 4 and 5 and skipped them when I was going through the bluray so must go back to them.

I must be in the minority who thinks Part 3 is pretty rubbish and incredibly silly. I really dislike the way the dreams get more and more 'creative' as the films go on; I much prefer the slightly more restrained nature of the dreams in the first film.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm one of few who actually liked Freddy's Dead!
Although the 3-D finale was rubbish - even in the theatre!
Old 8th January 2013, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I remember renting Freddy's Dead and forgetting to put one of the pairs of 3D glasses back in. The 3D finale was indeed rubbish. "Kids!"
Old 8th January 2013, 05:00 PM
Cultist

Number 5 is probably my second or definitely 3rd fave - after the 1st and 3rd instalments. Having seen the uncut one as a youngster, it's really quite grotty and vicious, and at least there's some decent darkness to temper the one-liners. Looks great too. I think it's under-rated.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I like them all except Part 2, which I can honestly say I will never watch again, the only reason I watched it in the last year was because, like Dae, I watched the entire series in order on BD, including the fan favourite remake
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th January 2013, 05:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I never think of Wes Craven's New Nightmare as part of the series.

It's a separate film to me, not a sequel. The monster isn't Freddy Krueger, just uses his form.

I suppose it is related enough that I understand why people treat it as a sequel.

Of the actual sequels, I haven't seen any of them. Only seen the first film.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I never think of Wes Craven's New Nightmare as part of the series.

It's a separate film to me, not a sequel. The monster isn't Freddy Krueger, just uses his form.

I suppose it is related enough that I understand why people treat it as a sequel.

Of the actual sequels, I haven't seen any of them. Only seen the first film.
I see it as part of the series as its related to the other films, just not part of the continuity. I always find it odd when its referred to just as "New Nightmare" as if the "Wes Craven's" bit is just the directorial credit and not actually part of the title.

I'm now about to settle down to watch part 4
Old 8th January 2013, 05:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

We all know Craven ripped off Fulci's Cat in the Brain anyway.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ya part 3 was always my personal favourite. Remember
seeing it at my local cinema back in the late 80's and I
loved every minute of it. Chuck Russell did a great job
directing it.And he directed one of my favourite monster
movies ever, The Blob. Have that Nightmare on Elm Street
Bluray collection. Must have a Freddie Fest one of the nights.

Like this? Share it using the links below!