Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:45 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Spoorloos is one of the scariest films I've ever seen due to the obsessive nature of both the protagonist and antagonist and the ending is probably the most frightening ending of any film ever made.
The problem i have with films like The Vanishing, once you have seen them and been stunned by the ending, you are expecting it to happen in the second viewing and therefore the films impact is heavily diluted.

They are watch once films. The Sixth Sense is another one.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I disagree about The Sixth Sense, I enjoyed it a second time as you can spot all the times that the ending is hinted at.

But yeah, Spoorloos' ending is incredible. The remake was the most disappointing cop-out crap I'd ever seen.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:13 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I disagree about The Sixth Sense, I enjoyed it a second time as you can spot all the times that the ending is hinted at.
I understand, but you aren't watching the film as was intended, you are looking for clues as you know what happens.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:18 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I understand, but you aren't watching the film as was intended, you are looking for clues as you know what happens.
Isn't that the same with every film post-Psycho which contains a surprise element or twist ending? You watch it once, perhaps figuring out the ending and perhaps not and then watch it again (and again and again) to see the way the director/writer developed the plot, leaving visual clues and sometimes just to watch the film for the sheer majesty of it.

I've seen The Sixth Sense about half a dozen times and think it is a supremely crafted piece of work and, probably because I know the ending, appreciate the performances even more.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I was just about to write that surely you could say the same about Psycho, The Game, Oldboy (a twist then an untwist? Bonkers), Les Diaboliques.... there's loads of great films that are just as great after the ending is revealed.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Isn't that the same with every film post-Psycho which contains a surprise element or twist ending? You watch it once, perhaps figuring out the ending and perhaps not and then watch it again (and again and again) to see the way the director/writer developed the plot, leaving visual clues and sometimes just to watch the film for the sheer majesty of it.

I've seen The Sixth Sense about half a dozen times and think it is a supremely crafted piece of work and, probably because I know the ending, appreciate the performances even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I was just about to write that surely you could say the same about Psycho, The Game, Oldboy (a twist then an untwist? Bonkers), Les Diaboliques.... there's loads of great films that are just as great after the ending is revealed.
You win, i can't really argue with those view points.

The Game is poor imo. What if Douglas had jumped off another part of the roof.?
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The Game is poor imo. What if Douglas had jumped off another part of the roof.?
That bit has always made me laugh, I have to admit. I think the film's great, but what if he hit one of the many steel bars holding up that roof? What if he jumped off the other side? Haha
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

How many of his actions were 'designed' and how many were definitively 100% free will? It's one of those imponderables which you can debate for hours, and I really should dig out the DVD and watch it again!
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:48 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Also, there may have been a similar 'safety measure' on the other side of the building, waiting to be moved into place should he have decided to jump from there.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Also, there may have been a similar 'safety measure' on the other side of the building, waiting to be moved into place should he have decided to jump from there.
Or possibly Superman?

Don't try and defend the indefensible Nos.

Like this? Share it using the links below!