Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST JASON?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST JASON?

Like Tree347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2009, 05:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,replacing Hodder in Freddy Vs Jason was something of a disappointment.Jason looked as if he'd been 'stretched' into a beanpole,instead of the hulking menace that Hodder brought to the role....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

I know Hodder (as well as many F13 fans no doubt) was very annoyed he never got to play Jason in FVJ due to studio red tape (thank you New Line!) and the role went to stuntman Ken Kirzinger, who ironically got thrown around by Hodder onscreen in F13P8:JTM!

There's only one man behind the hockey mask and his name is Kane Hodder.
They way he moves, the way he stalks, the way he kills and the way his shoulders move up and down when he breathes heavily.
It's this powerhouse physical presence that makes Hodder's Jason the greatest imo.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Plus he genuinely LOVES the role he's playing - something the other Jason's didn't have imo

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

If i recall rightly John Wayne stunt double Ted White who played Jason in F13P4:TFC also appears as the deer hunter who smacks Jeff Bridges one in John Carpenter's Starman.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:35 PM
Active Cultist

Default The Friday the 13th UK releases?

Hi

I'm looking into buying the Friday the 13th films, but howcome all of them have had a 2009 re-release over here except the first film, whereas in the US they have all been re-released including the first film? Also, the only release of the first film over here appears to be a 2003 release, is this any good? (Especially compared to the new region 1 disc).

Also, which versions are the best ones to go for? The UK releases or the US releases?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:07 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The first film is distributed in the UK by Warner Bros. The sequels are handled by Paramount. Presumably this is why only the sequels have been reissued.

The UK WB release of the original is pretty good and easily affordable. Original unrated version (official videos featured the R-rated print) and reasonable extras (trailer, commentaries & 20 min Making Of featurette). The U.S Deluxe Edition features additional extras.

Friday The 13th.
Old 18th October 2009, 09:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Personally i prefer the U.S. releases as there's generally more to them. Especially the later sequels which come complete with extras stateside but remain free of said bonus material over here. Rip-Off Britain strikes again!

So far i own the U.K. F13 DVD and sp. eds. of parts 2 and 3 on the same format.

The R1 Friday The 13th:From Crystal Lake To Manhattan 'ultimate' (yeah right!) collection box set.

The recent U.S. deluxe eds. of F13 parts 1-6 and i'll be ordering the same releases of 7 and 8 shortly.

Lastly, i also have the American Blu-Ray versions of the first five F13 films.

Warner's R2 F13 DVD is still quite a decent buy imo and well worth snapping up at the nice price it can be obtained for.
Old 18th October 2009, 09:47 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Personally i prefer the U.S. releases as there's generally more to them. Especially the later sequels which come complete with extras stateside but remain free of said bonus material over here. Rip-Off Britain strikes again!

So far i own the U.K. F13 DVD and sp. eds. of parts 2 and 3 on the same format.

The R1 Friday The 13th:From Crystal Lake To Manhattan 'ultimate' (yeah right!) collection box set.

The recent U.S. deluxe eds. of F13 parts 1-6 and i'll be ordering the same releases of 7 and 8 shortly.

Lastly, i also have the American Blu-Ray versions of the first five F13 films.

Warner's R2 F13 DVD is still quite a decent buy imo and well worth snapping up at the nice price it can be obtained for.
Hi

Is the 'From Crystal Lake to Manhattan' box set any good/worth a buy? Does it have much in the way of extras or am I better off just going for the region 1 deluxe editions? I was only looking into getting the region 2 re-releases as apparently they are on sale in-store in HMV for £3 each.

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy the region 1 deluxe editions?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:35 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nah,don't bother with that boxset on either region mate.
The R1 Deluxe versions can be picked up from Amazon marketplace sellers for between £6-£8
I got rid of them all on R2,including a boxset to get these.
PART 3 Also has a 3D option for watching the movie and has matching HIS 'n' HER 3D Specs....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSix View Post
Is the 'From Crystal Lake to Manhattan' box set any good/worth a buy? Does it have much in the way of extras or am I better off just going for the region 1 deluxe editions? I was only looking into getting the region 2 re-releases as apparently they are on sale in-store in HMV for £3 each.

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy the region 1 deluxe editions?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Well i'm a big F13 fan so i would say buy both the FCLTM box set and deluxe eds.
I think the former may have some extras over the latter but i'm not 100% sure as it's been years since i watched the box set.
Imo both editions are worth owning if you're really into the exploits of Jason Voorhees. But then again i'm a bit of a completist!

I think the R2 sp. ed. of part 2 is the same as the U.S. DVD (in terms of version and extras) but i would avoid the U.K. release of part 3 as it lacks the 3D print of the film present in both the R1 Blu-Ray and DVD editions. The later sequels are also no-frills fiascos in British stores whereas the American equivalents boast fresh sets of bonus material.

I would probably recommend grabbing the R2 DVDs of the original F13 and it's immediate follow-up. But definitely stick with R1 for the recent deluxe ed. of the first F13 and all subsequent entries after part 2. They may cost more than £3 but they're better releases.

I tend to buy my fave terror titles online from the usual suspects (Amazon, Play, Ebay etc.). After all the DVDs you want are only a mouse click away!

Hope this helps.

Like this? Share it using the links below!