Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2012, 06:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Made without the confines of network TV too. There a lot that is good with IT but it suffers from a terrible ending IMO.
it'smebilly likes this.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't.
I thought Paul was referring to the proper trailer...Lifts,blood and flood!
Gives feck all away and still manages to be more than sinister!

Need to watch that pisstake now!
I was referring to the proper one, mate.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Made without the confines of network TV too. There a lot that is good with IT but it suffers from a terrible ending IMO.
There's nae IMO about it Paul, it's one of the WORST endings to anything ever. I loved the book, last decent thing he wrote as far as i'm concerned...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th April 2012, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Some people really love the Wallace film though mate. Typically I find it's people younger than me who caught it at an age when they shouldn't have seen it and now regard it as a classic.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Some people really love the Wallace film though mate. Typically I find it's people younger than me who caught it at an age when they shouldn't have seen it and now regard it as a classic.
Whippersnappers!!

Seriously, you could never really "do" IT on the screen, as you would have to at least allude to "that" bit near the end.....you know what i mean

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2012, 11:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Whippersnappers!!

Seriously, you could never really "do" IT on the screen, as you would have to at least allude to "that" bit near the end.....you know what i mean
Am I right in thinking you mean what they do in 1958 to keep the mystical bond together
Demoncrat likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th April 2012, 12:39 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
IT was one of the better King adaps IMO,but it would have better in a 110 minute film form.
I enjoyed IT when first shown on BBC1 I think, when I was younger and thought it was very good
evenyually read they cut the film, shame they couldn't release IT complete
Old 15th April 2012, 01:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I quite liked It when it was first broadcat on TV, but even then I thought it had an awful climax. It just didn't work. Not read the book yet, so I can't really comment on the source material. But both Koontz and King seem to suffer from not being able to write good endings. Their novels are superb until the final act in many cases. Not all, but a good deal of them.

The Shining in novel form is a completely different beast to Kubrick's film. The film never really explains why Jack has gone mad and wants to kill Danny. The book clearly shows that the Hotel is governed by a malevolent force that absorbs everything into itself and wants Danny and his power, so influences Jack to kill his family. Saying all that, Kubrick's film is masterful and a definite favourite, but I can see how King would be disgruntled, it kind of dispenses with the core themes of the book.
Rik likes this.
Old 15th April 2012, 02:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post

The Shining in novel form is a completely different beast to Kubrick's film. The film never really explains why Jack has gone mad and wants to kill Danny. The book clearly shows that the Hotel is governed by a malevolent force that absorbs everything into itself and wants Danny and his power, so influences Jack to kill his family. Saying all that, Kubrick's film is masterful and a definite favourite, but I can see how King would be disgruntled, it kind of dispenses with the core themes of the book.
My thoughts exactly, its a masterpiece of filmaking but a poor adaption, a thing that happens often with Stephen King's works
Daemonia likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th April 2012, 08:46 PM
Ex-Member

Often King's works are adapted by idiots because the rights to Kings short stories he sells cheaply to help out first time film makers. Also by adding his name to a film it sells. I also understand why he didn't like the shining. But its still a powerful films regardless.
It was fantastic for the time. Yes the ending sucked. Perhaps now it would be better and perhaps used its references to the dark tower.

for me kubrick was one of the greatest film makers. King is one of the greatest novelists. There both worlds apart. A clear example being the Shining.

Like this? Share it using the links below!