Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2011, 05:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm surprised there are more votes for Psycho II than for The Original Is Best which should be the answer any film fan would give.
Whilst I agree that the first film is the best, I still prefer Psycho II, because personally I enjoy it more. And I don't think there's a 'right' answer to questions like this, because film is such a subjective medium. If we chose part 2 over the first one, I don't think it makes us any less film fans.
Old 18th December 2011, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm surprised there are more votes for Psycho II than for The Original Is Best which should be the answer any film fan would give.
"The original is best" shouldn't even be in the poll as the thread is about "Psycho sequels"
Old 18th December 2011, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Whilst I agree that the first film is the best, I still prefer Psycho II, because personally I enjoy it more. And I don't think there's a 'right' answer to questions like this, because film is such a subjective medium. If we chose part 2 over the first one, I don't think it makes us any less film fans.
Everyone is entitled to like any film they please and, if you prefer Psycho II to Hitchcock's classic, that's fair enough. There are people who would rather watch The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 to Hooper's more harrowing movie and, because it's funny in parts, I can understand why.

I suppose it's because I not only recognise Psycho as a great horror film, but really enjoy watching it.
Old 18th December 2011, 08:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default we all go a little mad

i agree psycho should'nt have been in poll as thought it was about best sequel, 2 is suprisingly very good, 3 seemed a quickie cash in of 2's success.
Enjoyed psycho 4 it was by original's screenwriter i believe , although it contradicted the story behind the motorway effecting bates motel. a dull point but it effected my ocd, obsessive continuity disorder.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:35 PM
Cult Rookie

The Psycho sequels are good follow ups to a classic. I think Psycho II is the best but III and IV aren't bad ether thanks to the reappearances of Anthony Perkins. But sorry to disagree I'm of the opinion that Texas Chainsaw 2 is terrible.
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:44 PM
Cultist in Training

I love Psycho II- I personally prefer it to the original, even though the original is a genuine landmark/changed the face of cinema forever/all that jazz. I remember watching it on a late Friday night screening, and I was utterly hooked - two scenes stayed with me - the knife through the mouth (clearly fake but scared me badly) and the final shot - that's got to be one of the most chilling, frightening final images in a film ever!
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I like TCM 2, always had a soft spot for it. I know it's s bit of a mess and there's no doubt that it doesn't hold a candle to the original but I do like it.

...and Nos, you mention the comedy in the sequel but the original has a really ghoulish streak of comedy running through it too. I'm sure it's deliberate but it's quite clever how Hooper and co manipulate the audience because a lot of the humour is derived from "nervous laughs", the dinner table/hammer clad granddad being a case point.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I like TCM 2, always had a soft spot for it. I know it's s bit of a mess and there's no doubt that it doesn't hold a candle to the original but I do like it.

...and Nos, you mention the comedy in the sequel but the original has a really ghoulish streak of comedy running through it too. I'm sure it's deliberate but it's quite clever how Hooper and co manipulate the audience because a lot of the humour is derived from "nervous laughs", the dinner table/hammer clad granddad being a case point.
I find those scenes the most disturbing. Being hit constantly by the hammer head, slowly losing consciousness, the last things you remember are the pieces of flesh and skull and blood running down your face and neck.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It's disturbing, pathetic and darkly funny all at the same time!
Old 4th February 2012, 02:09 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Chainsaw duel between Dennis Hopper and Leatherface. Nuff said.

If this was a new Tarantino flick including this concept, the whole internet would be wild with it.

But...,because it's an 'old' film everyone ignores it, like the naughty schoolkid in the corner.

but, you know what, I kind of like this film. remember this topic. I'll still be here. Let's see.

Like this? Share it using the links below!