Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2008, 03:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Coed View Post
Agreed. I'm gob-smacked by how many apologists there are for this film.

I know, I know, mate. I' well aware that the world is made up with lots of different people with varied tastes but I can't fathom how anyone could possibly enjoy MOTHER OF TEARS or PHANTOM OF THE OPERA... unless they're toking the rocks.
Old 4th June 2008, 05:13 PM
Ex-member

What really grips my shit is when they start insinuating that the 'nay-sayers' just 'don't get' Argento based on their loathing of this film. I've been watching Argento films for the last 22 years and I think I 'get him' by now. ****, Paul, Luigi Cozzi could have done it better.
Old 4th June 2008, 06:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Split right down the middle this one.....
Old 4th June 2008, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I would partake in this conversation but I am "toking some rocks"
Old 5th June 2008, 08:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Coed View Post
What really grips my shit is when they start insinuating that the 'nay-sayers' just 'don't get' Argento based on their loathing of this film. I've been watching Argento films for the last 22 years and I think I 'get him' by now. ****, Paul, Luigi Cozzi could have done it better.
I completely agree, Kev and think MOT could easily have been directed by the likes of Bruno Mattei or one of bona fide hacks of EuroCult cinema. The film completely lacks any of the finesse of other Argento films. Granted, Argento would have had to have made the film with one eye on a mass-market audience in order to secure the financing, but the film is bereft of anything even remotely Argento-like. I've gone into the reasons why I dislike MOTHER OF TEARS on numerous occasions, and they are many.

Like Kev, I get annoyed when others insinuate that those that dislike MOT just don't "get" the director or that he should be afforded more respect. Well, Argento earned my respect years ago, and I've enjoyed every one of his films and TV shows to a certain degree, with the exception of MOT, PHANTOM and his first Masters of Horror ep, JENIFER. I've been a staunch defender of him in the past and am really looking forward to seeing his next film, GIALLO, so yes, you can most definitely call me a fan. Still don't quite understand what people see in MOT that compels them to defend it so staunchly, buy hey, it's horses for courses, I guess...
Old 6th June 2008, 10:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Still don't quite understand what people see in MOT that compels them to defend it so staunchly, buy hey, it's horses for courses, I guess...
I agree with the comments about MOT so far, aside from how good the flick is. I think its ridiculous saying those who don't like MOT, don't get Argento - utter crap. I have loved Argento since the earlies, and have re-visited his works umpteen times, and can see a great difference in MOT - I understand & respect why people don't like it.

But.. personally, I happen to think it's great fun. Do I see it standing up well with the likes of Suspiria, Inferno (as part of the trilogy), or even Bird, Tenebrae et all (as powerful works), hell no! It doesn't even compare..

..but I enjoyed it immensely all the same. I guess I lowered my expectations enough, as I found it highly entertaining. It's mainstream Argento; stilted, and uneven in its direction - gone is the visual flair of the earlier films. It could have, as you say, be directed by anyone, and I certainly would not recognise it as an Argento film. But for all the cheese, it still had something - it was pacy, gory, illogical, fantastical, had some great hammy performances, and although not "art" per se, still reminded me how fun Italian horror can be. I would have enjoyed MOT whoever directed it, it's almost unfortunate it's Argento who has his name stamped over it - as for that alone, it remains doomed.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
..but I enjoyed it immensely all the same. I guess I lowered my expectations enough, as I found it highly entertaining. It's mainstream Argento; stilted, and uneven in its direction - gone is the visual flair of the earlier films. It could have, as you say, be directed by anyone, and I certainly would not recognise it as an Argento film. But for all the cheese, it still had something - it was pacy, gory, illogical, fantastical, had some great hammy performances, and although not "art" per se, still reminded me how fun Italian horror can be. I would have enjoyed MOT whoever directed it, it's almost unfortunate it's Argento who has his name stamped over it - as for that alone, it remains doomed.

I would have still dispised MOT had it been directed by someone else. I didn't have high expectations for the film, neither, but I still disliked it immensely.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I would have still dispised MOT had it been directed by someone else. I didn't have high expectations for the film, neither, but I still disliked it immensely.
Well, horses for courses as you say. I still maintain it's a really fun flick..
Old 6th June 2008, 04:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I would have enjoyed MOT whoever directed it, it's almost unfortunate it's Argento who has his name stamped over it - as for that alone, it remains doomed.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that I "enjoyed" MOT - though that might be the case after some years when it'll be easier to approach it with some distance to the current tiresome "controversy"- but for whatever reason, I can stomach it much easier than "Phantom"- which so far remains for me to be the rock botton (or bottom, if you will) of the Argento filmography, so I totally second the sentiments regarding the allergic reactions Argento's name over the title seems to provoke.
What really somewhat saddened me in the whole "net discussion" regarding MOT was the obvious enjoyment some fractions of the fanbase seem to get out of writing Argento off merely on the basis of their disappointment over MOT, let alone how personal some apparently take this flick's (admittdely) long list of shortcomings.
It's just a failed movie, nothing more, nothing less, not the judgement day of the Italian genre cinema- that must have already taken place over 10 years ago considering the next to zero output in the 21.st century- nothing left to "damage", really. The world has moved on, so has Argento.
May be it's best for most fans to let MOT collect some dust on the shelf and get back to it when Argento really has gone into retirement.
Old 15th December 2008, 05:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Aside from disagreeing over the actual film. I agree with everything you say there Peter. Just read IMDb and see the hate this film has evoked, I really don't understand what their problem is with MoT. I watched it last night and will write a review soon. I enjoyed every minute of it, it was 98 minutes of FUN and it had everything I wanted. I'm sure that if this was directed by someone in the mould of Bruno Mattei or Umberto Lenzi then it would be lauded as a trash classic in the making. But because it's Argento it just seems people want perfection or else it's hissy fit time.

Like this? Share it using the links below!