Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/5548-dario-argentos-dracula-anticipation-thread.html)

doolahrock 18th January 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 210352)
Compared to all the excellent acting throughout Argento's career? :lol:

The man cannot direct actors, never has been able to, never will. Doesn't mean his films have been bad or unenjoyable.

I agree, his track record with acting has been poor but nothing compared to his last three or four efforts....and from actors who should really know better. Most importantly, the flair has been missing since Opera other than the enjoyable Sleepless.

Gojirosan 18th January 2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doolahrock (Post 210355)
Most importantly, the flair has been missing since Opera other than the enjoyable Sleepless.

Ah, you see, I disagree there. I'd say only The Phantom Of The Opera and Giallo have been unsatisfactory out of all his films.

sjconstable 19th January 2012 12:24 AM

The Stendhal Syndrome has been his only decent film since Opera.

doolahrock 19th January 2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 210361)
The Stendhal Syndrome has been his only decent film since Opera.

Oops, forgot Stendhal. It's got some really nice stuff in it (or horrible depending on your point of view :)

doolahrock 19th January 2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 210357)
Ah, you see, I disagree there. I'd say only The Phantom Of The Opera and Giallo have been unsatisfactory out of all his films.

Card player was a bad one from memory. Only seen it once at a festival so perhaps a 2nd viewing without the braying audience might be in order. I bought the Arrow DVD for 1.99 with this intention but not quite got round to it.

Mother of Tears would have been a great piece of daft entertainment but with Argento's name attached it falls more into the disappointment category.

Roughale 19th January 2012 01:55 PM

I am also disappointed with Argento's last films. Card Player was a very weak TV crime film, but not of the good kind. Mother of Tears was laughably bad, I almost hated it. I don't know what it is, but he seems to have lost it, that's why I skipped Giallo after all the bad reviews... I liked his Masters of Horror bits, tehy were much stronger for me than his recent films. The last good thing in a film was the chase through the train (if I rememmber correctly) at the beginning of Sleepless, that was really stunning...

Sargento 19th January 2012 07:03 PM

Card Player - piss poor made for TV looking effort
Sleepless - ALMOST a return to form .. but that bloody rhyme and Max hamming it up stopped it from being great for me.
Giallo - Unfairly bashed IMHO
MOT - Again, not as bad as many make out. Understandably we had all been waiting all that time for Dazza to close the trilogy, it stood no chance really did it?

Dracula .... meh, I have an Uwe Boll feeling coming on with this.

However, its all being judged on some unfinished footage really, which is hardly fair. BUT it does have a big insect in it!!

platostotal 19th January 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 210450)
Card Player - piss poor made for TV looking effort
Sleepless - ALMOST a return to form .. but that bloody rhyme and Max hamming it up stopped it from being great for me.
Giallo - Unfairly bashed IMHO
MOT - Again, not as bad as many make out. Understandably we had all been waiting all that time for Dazza to close the trilogy, it stood no chance really did it?

Dracula .... meh, I have an Uwe Boll feeling coming on with this.

However, its all being judged on some unfinished footage really, which is hardly fair. BUT it does have a big insect in it!!

"Uwe Boll"??? the unkindest cut of all.:lol:

Sargento 19th January 2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 210460)
"Uwe Boll"??? the unkindest cut of all.:lol:

At least I can look forward to the 3D even if the movie is a turd! :fear:

James Morton 20th January 2012 03:46 PM

Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread

whatever is said, I'll give my opinions when I eventually see Argento's DRACULA
there have been a number of scenes in his films which were misleading, confusing etc
for example in TRAUMA, when Piper Laurie is decapitated, she utters a name

the reason for this and she didn't get it at the time, was Argento 'paying homage or whatever' to Marie Antoinette who supposedly said something when was beheaded