Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST STALLONE?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST STALLONE?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2012, 09:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

As much as I like Stallone and rate him as an actor in some of his films I'd definitely disagree with you about him being better than Hoffman, PV.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:40 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
As much as I like Stallone and rate him as an actor in some of his films I'd definitely disagree with you about him being better than Hoffman, PV.
Yes, I slightly exaggerated. Maybe it's because Stallone stars in more movies that I like than Hoffman - although the latter was really good in Straw Dogs. His acting doesn't deserve an Academy Award, though - as he's deffo not up there with the likes of Charles Laughton, Laurence Olivier, or Lionel Barrymore. He shares that fate with quite a few other AA winners.

Sorry, I know this isn't the Academy Award thread.

Greetings!
Drakie79 likes this.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:43 AM
Cult Master

Very much off topic, but there was talk years ago of Stallone and Arnie appearing in a re-make of 'Some Like It Hot'

That would have been something to see!
Prince_Vajda and Drakie79 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th February 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Please don't take it personally, Vampix - it's more a rant about Maltin and strange Academy Award decisions.

Greetings!
I don't take it personally, First Blood is one of my favourite action flicks.I'm not trying to be snobbish when I say I can't understand Sly's speech at the end of the film, it's just that I genuinely can't!
Old 17th March 2012, 12:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Anyone seen the pics from Walter Hill's new movie Bullet To The Head, with Stallone? Probably just the pic and the haircut, but he looks about 20 years younger, almost like he did around the time of Demolition Man.

I must admit i was surprised at how Stallone looks in this still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I think that Sly's performance in First Blood is outstanding, and I distinctly include this monologue. As for First Blood: I think this is the best movie dealing with America's Vietnam trauma. Forget about crazy and lengthy flicks like The Deer Hunter or pretentious films like Born on the Fourth of July. This movie shows where America lost the war (at least to a great extent)-at home, among its very own people. Sorry for so much politics, but as a future history teacher I had to say that.
Most probably my fave slice of Sly and i love these 'worm that turns' films where the protagonist never looks for trouble but gets it from other sources and ultimately finishes what the antagonist started. FB works wonders with this scenario imo and you're behind John J. Rambo 100% when he fights back against those who wouldn't leave him alone.

"I coulda killed them all. I coulda killed you. If anyone's the law around here, it's me. Don't push it. Don't push it or i'll give you a war you won't believe. Let it go....let it go!"
Old 18th March 2012, 01:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yep, Sly looks in remarkable shape in that new pic, much better shape than Arnie.As well as First Blood, I've got a real liking for Cliffhanger, Demolition Man, and Rambo (2008).In fact, there's not too many of Sly's flicks that I don't enjoy.
Old 18th March 2012, 01:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

As Rocky 4 is one of my favourite films of all time i chose that one, but i'm just a Stallone Fan in general. Rambo, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Lock Up, Cobra, DeathRace 2000, the list goes on. I even enjoyed film Avenging Angelo which he made during his career slump.
Old 19th March 2012, 05:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
I'll have to try to catch Nighthawks on DVD sooner or later as i've never seen the film from start to finish and all i really recall about it is some of the cast, the director and the ending.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Copland and Rocky for his performances (both of which are incredible)

Demolition Man and Rambo (IV) for fun. I couldn't believe how good the latest Rambo was, I even saw it twice at the cinema!
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I couldn't believe how good the latest Rambo was, i even saw it twice at the cinema!
The film's more violent (not to mention more profanity-packed.) than all three previous Rambo outings combined and all the better for it imo.
God bless Stallone for giving us an action movie that spits in the face of those who want the genre's output diluted to keep the PC brigade happy. Not on Sly's watch!
Prince_Vajda likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!