Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2010, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

anyone Remember Cactus Jack aka The Villain with Kirk Douglas. Arnie played a character called the Handsome Stranger. The film was great, it was like a live action looney tunes cartoon. For me though the worst film ive ever seen the guvornator in was Hercules In New York. Why does he have a fight with a man in a gorila suit in the middle of central park.
Old 20th March 2010, 06:34 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
anyone Remember Cactus Jack aka The Villain with Kirk Douglas. Arnie played a character called the Handsome Stranger.
I saw this on the cinema (as Cactus Jack) years ago doubled with Spiderman: The Dragon's Challenge. Great fun film, despite the critics snorting at it. Interestingly both Kirk Douglas and Ann Margret were originally offered roles in the brilliant Cat Ballou in the 60's.

I thought Hercules In New York should have been truly terminated. Absolute bilge.
Old 20th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've not seen Cactus Jack (The Villain) in years,although I did watch the 'Roadrunner' scenes recently on youtube.Nearly fell off my chair with laughter
Old 20th March 2010, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The final scene in the film (Kirk's speeded-up victory dance over the rooftops) is absolutely hilarious.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:57 PM
Cultist

My missus is watching The Jayne Mansfeild story right now,recorded off of True movies,and who should appear.....Arnie.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Playing Mickey Hargitay of course. It would have been a better film if he'd played Jayne Mansfield though.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

My Director's Cut DVD of Commando popped through the letterbox on Saturday, can't wait to give this old fave a spin.
Old 28th June 2010, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I like the Running Man alot and also Predator. I also love Jingle all the way.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
My Director's Cut DVD of Commando popped through the letterbox on Saturday, can't wait to give this old fave a spin.

I watched this last night after reading your post. I bought it on release, in the US whilst on holiday and forgot all about it.

The DC doesnt' appear to add much apart from at the beginning, but it was the first time watching it uncut.

It is what is; a cheesy, 80s action flick that is unintentionally funny in places. The homo-erotic overtones are almost as explicit as they are in Top Gun. Unlike Road House where one of the protagnists says "i used to F--- guys like you in prison!" there's a suprising lack of sexual taunts. Vernon (Wes) Wells seems only a step away, especially near the *ahem* climax.

I never liked Rae Dawn Chong. Her character was only good for two things; finally getting around to blowing the back off the prison truck and flying the plane. She had trouble with both tasks.

I like the juxtaposition of the twee, sugary sweet scenes with Arnie and his daughter, with the carnage in the last act.

There's some terribly lazy writing in this film. Examples that spring to mind are the scenes at the dock. Arnie and bird look for evidence as to where his daughter could be held despite the fact that all the crates are labelled "Ship to Mara Verde". Chong then states "Type 4 fuel, that's amphibian".
Say what?

Anyway, despite it not being Arnie's finest hour, it is fun.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:29 PM
Cultist

It also has one of the best end credits songs I've ever come across, We Fight For Love by Power Station. Somewhere! Somehow! Someone!

I've been trying to watch all the movies Arnie has ever appeared in but Cactus Jack and Scavenger Hunt have been on my lovefilm for quite some time now. I did manage to see Welcome to the Jungle the other day though, where he appears for about a second near the beginning of the movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!