Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
I liked this thread better when it was about Chas and Dave,"Gertcha"
Just for you Vic

VicDakin and sawyer6 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th December 2012, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just for you Vic

rik you sir are a gent,and your business will grow to fold if you get yourself a big beard.
Sam and Rik like this.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
rik you sir are a gent,and your business will grow to fold if you get yourself a big beard.
I did have a fairly huge beard until Thursday when I accidently trimmed it too much so I had to shave it all off
VicDakin likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th December 2012, 06:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
And yet almost any business you can think of has a Facebook link on there page and a Twitter right next to it.

I like collecting..I need money to collect...business gives me money...social media expands the money I recieve. = Happy Me

You realize you are debating business through social media on a forum that is in and of itself...a type of social media.

Ain't brought me any dough though.
Daemonia likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Ain't brought me any dough though.
Start making casual business comments. " I'd love to debate you...if my business wasn't having this crazzzzzzy 24 hour sale..."

Old 16th December 2012, 06:45 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Just wondered if you ever owned a business that Facebook drummed up tens of thousands for you.....

I've tried Facebook for my business,not brought a lot,I can tell you.

I spend money on smaller,more dedicated lines of advertising which has brought me tens of thousands.

Just shows.What's taught in theory DOESN'T always translate in REAL life.

So please,don't ever tell anyone who hasn't Facebook or Twitter not to think about going into business.
As Daemonia said,Inflammatory and that's putting it politely.
Having been self employed for over 40 years I totally agree with this post. I've owned several restaurants over those four decades and although I can't comment on business school I can honestly say that I never once managed to hire anyone straight out of catering college who could cope in the real world. They certainly couldn't take the heat and pressure of a busy commercial kitchen. One poor guy actually fainted over the grill, backwards fortunately!
As a commercial artist my name was made by Almar and Cult Labs, along with The Darkside magazine. I'm not one to blow my own horn (although I would if I could reach it!) but today I turn down a lot more jobs than I take on and I'm working in a fiercly competetive field.
"Check out my Facebook page" reads like "Check out my Ebay shop", Great for folks playing at business but not quite the real thing.
Of course, plenty of folks do well off these sites but nobody can tell me that they carry the cache' and credibility of something like Cult Labs which has been created by a media savvy professional.
Personally, if I'd decided to market my wares through Facebook my smutty etchings would still be twirling around totally unseen in the mists of cyber space.
Yeh, I know what you're thinking. "Shame he bloody didn't!"
Old 16th December 2012, 06:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
Having been self employed for over 40 years I totally agree with this post. I've owned several restaurants over those four decades and although I can't comment on business school I can honestly say that I never once managed to hire anyone straight out of catering college who could cope in the real world. They certainly couldn't take the heat and pressure of a busy commercial kitchen. One poor guy actually fainted over the grill, backwards fortunately!
As a commercial artist my name was made by Almar and Cult Labs, along with The Darkside magazine. I'm not one to blow my own horn (although I would if I could reach it!) but today I turn down a lot more jobs than I take on and I'm working in a fiercly competetive field.
"Check out my Facebook page" reads like "Check out my Ebay shop", Great for folks playing at business but not quite the real thing.
Of course, plenty of folks do well off these sites but nobody can tell me that they carry the cache' and credibility of something like Cult Labs which has been created by a media savvy professional.
Personally, if I'd decided to market my wares through Facebook my smutty etchings would still be twirling around totally unseen in the mists of cyber space.
Yeh, I know what you're thinking. "Shame he bloody didn't!"

That's incredible. It's a minority thing and goes to show the talent you have but still incredible. Thinking however that a forum will give the same type of business that a well placed media campaign however is...slightly naive.

You are a talented guy and this forum helped it but without the talent it wouldn't matter where you focused your business.

Acquainting a business to some homemade Facebook page is more than slightly stretching it.

Yes a real business should use every resource they have or they aren't going for there true full potential .

If they are comfortable where they are that's great. I personally we'll use every available resource to its fullest potential to ensure success to the utmost of my ability.

You don't run a business just on a simple Facebook page or Facebook ad or twitter but why look down upon something that'll get you notice you never would have gotten otherwise.

I'll gladly use a dedicated forum to court the people buying my product already but I'd be insane not to try and lure in as many of the casuals to create a larger base.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Is it just me that's getting bored by all this. Yes, Facebook works for some people, word of mouth works for others.

Like this? Share it using the links below!