Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Whats the best of Henenlotter?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Whats the best of Henenlotter?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2011, 08:14 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm not a fan of the two "Basket Case" sequels but have enjoyed everything else by him. I love the whole scuzzy New York vibe of "Basket Case" which for me makes the film seem like a long lost cousin of a lot of the rougher end of 60s exploitation/sexploitation I like so much. There is something almost inherently scummy about most films set in New York from the 60s to the 80s, if you exclude the works of Woody Allen but even then his personal life more than makes up for it!

"Bad Biology" was enjoyable in it's own mad way. It felt like it could have been made around the same time as "Basket Case" or "Brain Damage" which on reflection could be seen as a lack of progression on FH part or the sign of a true auteur
Old 11th April 2011, 08:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,New York was portrayed (and was) a real cesspit in Basket Case.

Think it'd look good in hi def?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I voted for Basket Case, which narrowly beats Brain Damage as Henenlotter's best film in my opinion.
Old 12th April 2011, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bad Biology was the first of his films i saw. - Brilliant

Since bought Brain Damage, which was also very good, even though it was a "very 80's style film"
Old 12th April 2011, 05:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'm not a fan of the two "Basket Case" sequels but have enjoyed everything else by him. I love the whole scuzzy New York vibe of "Basket Case" which for me makes the film seem like a long lost cousin of a lot of the rougher end of 60s exploitation/sexploitation I like so much. There is something almost inherently scummy about most films set in New York from the 60s to the 80s, if you exclude the works of Woody Allen but even then his personal life more than makes up for it!

"Bad Biology" was enjoyable in it's own mad way. It felt like it could have been made around the same time as "Basket Case" or "Brain Damage" which on reflection could be seen as a lack of progression on FH part or the sign of a true auteur

Thats a first Frank Henenlotter and Woody Allen in the same sentence.

Never Before and Never Again
Old 12th April 2011, 05:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I voted for Basket Case, which narrowly beats Brain Damage as Henenlotter's best film in my opinion.
Yeah Brain Damage is demented as well,but Basket Case is a real cult gem.
Low budget movie making at it's best!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th June 2011, 02:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

I only had Henenlotter's original Basket Case in my collection, which I like a lot.I recently bought the Synapse DVD of Brain Damage with the silver cover.Looking forward to checking it out again after not having seen it since it's cut video release.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default henelotter rules

one of my favourite directors, he has a rare talent of adding emotion into trashy fun horror films basket case is great, suprised no one has attempted a dreaded re-make. Took me a long time to like the sequels as they were a lot more cartoony than first probably all the unbeliavable freaks running around grunting did them no favours but granny Ruth is very funny i think the actress who played her dubbed brit Ekland in the wicker man. Brain damage is my favourite a very funny metaphor for the dangers of drug addiction and alymer with the voice of horror host zachary is one of my favourite film monsters. Frankenhooker is a great film as well the scene were jeffrey's mother talks to him about his fiancees's death is very heartfelt and real considering the context of the plot. Enjoyed bad biology as well the script is very funny and despite a long absence its a quality film , amazing to think Henenlotter hid the fact to most of the crew thathe was undergoing chemo while making the film , i hope he make some more films. I would recommend Henelotter fans check out the excellent hotel broslin website and if you join Henenlotter's facebook group he usually replies to questions, how many directors do that? sorry for blathering on and on he's just a firm favourite of mine.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks for that Plas-I'll take a look.

Old 20th December 2011, 03:12 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Default The Very Best Of Henenlotter

With the release of Frankenhooker soon approaching (2nd of Jan), here's a thread dedicated to all the brilliant, twisted and totally off the wall cult films that burst from Frank Henenlotter's warped mind.

So what ones have you seen?

Which are his best? His worst?

Let us know here! Who knows, maybe there will be a future Henenlotter Arrow release someday?

Like this? Share it using the links below!