Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2010, 08:03 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep, it does indeed seem a little strange, not the sort of thing I would have expected. I'm sure Almar will be able to give us more details.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:27 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Fear not! This is not a move into Blu-ray exclusives but rather a matter of space, authoring, costs etc which meant that the Blu-ray ends up with one more extra than the DVD set. We've always pushed hard here for releases to be as equal as possible and that won't change but sometimes a choice has to be made and this is one of those rare instances - nothing more than that.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:31 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Had a feeling that it might something like that.
Old 20th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Fear not! This is not a move into Blu-ray exclusives but rather a matter of space, authoring, costs etc which meant that the Blu-ray ends up with one more extra than the DVD set. We've always pushed hard here for releases to be as equal as possible and that won't change but sometimes a choice has to be made and this is one of those rare instances - nothing more than that.
If is a matter of space then it should be moved to dvd2. I think there´s space there. If there´s no space I can live without the argento trailer reel.

Don´t get me wrong because I´m not criticizing the decision because I alway buy the DVD and the Blu... Is just a matter of thinking in the name of all the consumers.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:26 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Who the hell is this guy?
Who the hell are you? I'm sorry is this forum off-limits to new users?
Old 20th August 2010, 09:29 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
The reason is very simple:
Because DVD still does it very well for many film fans.
Just because something "bigger 'n better" is available, not everybody is immediately feeling the urge to jump on "the next big thing", which will undoubtedly be replaced with something even "bigger 'n better" in a much shorter period of time than the one we had between the introduction of DVD and BluRay.
I'm even toying with the idea of going "Blu", but every time a distributor feels the need to do some "pushing" with an "exclusive", apparently because the format is not convincing enough to wow the masses on its own, I rather want to wait a good while longer- until it feels right to go Blu FOR ME- NOT the industry.
The problem with your argument is that you don't have to go Blu exclusively. Buying a Blu Ray player doesn't make your DVDs obsolete. If anything the next format should play BOTH Blu and DVD....
Old 20th August 2010, 10:27 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
If is a matter of space then it should be moved to dvd2. I think there´s space there. If there´s no space I can live without the argento trailer reel.

Don´t get me wrong because I´m not criticizing the decision because I alway buy the DVD and the Blu... Is just a matter of thinking in the name of all the consumers.
The way this has worked is down to disc 2 - it's the same on both releases which keeps costs down - margins being horrible in this business - so that's why we've ended up with this rare anomoly - nothing more than that.

As for formats I am all for people sticking to what they like or upgrading or whatever - amen to that so with a nod to others on this thread let's not get into who should do what or indeed feel compelled or not as to what they do - I have a BD player but I'm still buying DVDs - it would be insane just to abandon that format and I don't like it when a company tries to force my hand as many now do. In the case of Inferno it's a matter or practicality and will be avoided where possible.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Who the hell are you? I'm sorry is this forum off-limits to new users?
The user just responded to your remarks because I think they were kind of offensive.

Please don´t get me wrong as this is just my opinion.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:25 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Let's call it a misunderstanding and move on folks - after all - you don't want to get me started on formats - I'm sitting here with hundreds of Betamax tapes
Old 21st August 2010, 01:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I'm sitting here with hundreds of Betamax tapes
Don´t remind me of my childhood.

Nostalgia sucks...

Like this? Share it using the links below!