Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2010, 11:34 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It sounds (and looks) absolutely stunning and is genuinely more creepy and eerie that I've ever found that scene. With the music and light cutting out and coming back up or a fraction of a second, it really does crank up the atmosphere.
Old 29th August 2010, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Please don't tell me the original audio track isn't HD/uncompressed... Original audio tracks need to be preserved on blu-rays, studios need to understand that. Quite often I find myself switching to mono and orig stereo tracks over the remixed ones. Heck, I was watching GOD TOLD ME TO last weekend and had to switch to the mono cuz I couldn't hear what the heck the actors were saying on the 5.1. I should note, I don't have a 5.1 or whatever set-up. I use two speakers, plus my tv's speakers.

But, yes -- orig audio tracks are as important as the image! Audio remixes can be bad -- SUSPIRIA is a good example of screwed up audio mixes in the past.
Old 29th August 2010, 10:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The disc has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English, DTS 2.0 Stereo English and DTS 2.0 Mono Italian, so no uncompressed stereo or mono. There are optional English subtitles for both language tracks - they differ as one will be a translation of the Italian and the other just the exact English spoken.
Old 29th August 2010, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I usually don't double dip - only if I already own a different version and Arrow comes along with their release ... just for the collection's sake. Normally, I stick with what I've got unless the improvements are beyond radical.
Old 30th August 2010, 01:47 AM
Seasoned Cultist

With blu-ray, it would be beyond radical. That's why I'm buying it!
Old 30th August 2010, 02:19 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Change your monitor - the difference is very notable from this vantage point!
And from mine! Consider the BD pre-ordered!!
Old 30th August 2010, 07:18 AM
Cult Rookie

I hate to be a downer, but I have to admit I'm having second thoughts about this blu ray. The screen captures floating around sure look to have grain reduction to me. Maybe the screens are misleading? I don't know, but it definitely worries me. Arrow's silence on exactly what their extra restoration work was isn't helping...
Old 30th August 2010, 08:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
I hate to be a downer, but I have to admit I'm having second thoughts about this blu ray. The screen captures floating around sure look to have grain reduction to me. Maybe the screens are misleading? I don't know, but it definitely worries me. Arrow's silence on exactly what their extra restoration work was isn't helping...
I can assure you it looks amazing. Fed up with people nit picking to be honest - and I, for one, am not a big fan of snow storms worth of grain. In the case of some films (and I can't comment on Inferno) grain reduction needs to be done otherwise you'd not see anything but fuzz.

A company is not at liberty to tell you what "extra restoration" went on. The end product looks great. Surely that is what matters?
Old 30th August 2010, 09:07 AM
Cultist

I for one don't mind grain one bit and am against grainreduction. If grain has been removed often the image loses detail and becomes quite flat and faces get a sort of wax-like look. On the screenshots of Inferno I haven't seen that at all. I think this will be one hell of a blu-ray.

There is ofcourse a difference between grain and noise. Noise is not good and should be removed.

After seeing some screenshots of Inferno I'm more anxious than ever to get it!
Old 30th August 2010, 10:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching inferno (blue underground)
Sorry but i wasnt imppressed , yes it had all the usual hallmarks bright sets music etc . but the film itself just didnt do anything for me

Like this? Share it using the links below!