Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2011, 11:36 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc View Post
The Roan/Anchor Bay version was not a print with damage. It was a composite from three 35mm prints.
Sorry, should've been a bit clearer. I was referring to this information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Compare
OVERALL: Draw

If you want the complete version of the movie:
- R2 Dutch and Scandinavian have optional subtitles, but they only offer an English soundtrack.
- R2 France has English and Italian soundtracks and also offers an Argento interview, but French subtitles are forced.
If you are not bothered by minor losses (please read the William Lustig explanation below):
- R1 Anchor Bay seems to be the best, with its Anamorphic transfer, both English and Italian soundtracks, and significant extras.

Also note that:
- R0 Germany, R2 Anchor Bay UK and R4 releases all feature exclusive extras.
- R2 Italian -release has Italian 5.1-track, with English subtitles.

William Lustig (then with AB) explains the missing scenes:
"To the best of my knowledge, there are 2 moments (I can’t call them scenes) missing: the end of the scene where Nicolodi and Franciosa enter his hotel room and a quick insert shot of a stab -under 10 seconds in total. The source elements I had available were a beautiful but cut 35mm low-contrast print supplied by the licensor and a fair condition uncut archival release print which I borrowed from a collector in Italy.
In the hotel room scene, the dialogue was complete in the cut print but missing a moment following the dialogue when either Nicolodi or Franciosa (I forget) walks across the room. This scene falls at the end of a theatrical reel. Consequently, the poor condition of that brief moment in the uncut print, in my opinion, out-weighed the value of including it since we would have had to replace the entire shot with beat up footage only to gain a few seconds which neither advanced the plot or character development. Given the elements I had available at the time, I feel I made the correct decision. The missing stab was simply an oversight. I guess we got confused since this was one of several stabs in rapid succession."

The following "missing shots" have been identified (the running times are the ones of the Dutch edition):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-25:21 - Peter asks Ann to stay for a drink. She says "one" (all versions).
-25:23 - Then Ann walks to the sideboard and puts down her books (missing). (1)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-1:02:41 - This shot is when Peter is hit by the stone, and Johnny helps him up and runs, then the camera moves showing the trees (all versions).
-1:02:43 - The camera lingering on the trees slightly longer - about 2 secs (missing). (2)
-1:05:55 - This is the middle of the flashback scenes (all versions).
-1:05:57 - The killer stabs once... (all versions).
-1:05:58 - ...And then the killer stabs again (missing). (3)
-1:06:10 - This shot shows sunlight through window when Daria Nicolodi's character wakes up right after the flashback sequence (missing). (4)
-1:06:20 - Ann calls out 'Peter, Peter' and then she looks back down (missing). (5)
-1:14:08 - Jane takes the second shoe out of the box (missing). (6)
-1:14:09 - Jane then turns around (missing). (7)
-1:14:13 - Bulmer waits for Jane in the piazza, looking at his watch (missing). (8)
Old 1st April 2011, 08:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Although this thread is working well, I think (and Almar agrees) will be much easier to discuss the film, the artwork, the technical aspects and other such aspects of the release in the other threads in this section.

Like this? Share it using the links below!