All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2011, 09:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And yet VATLD is a film I've REPEATEDLY tried to get into,but fail miserably everytime.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th October 2011, 09:41 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I was joking. Well, sort of. I dread going into films they produced that weren't directed by Jess Franco. Some of the Franco stuff, like The Awful Dr Orloff, Eugenie De Sade, Female Vampire, Virgin Among the Living Dead, is excellent.
I hope AWFUL DR. ORLOFF gets a 16:9 transfer. There's already a 16:9 transfer for EUGENIE DE SADE (actually just EUGENIE, the DE SADE part of the title is actually a note of authorship - I like the DE SADE 2000 title for EUGENIE and the DE SADE 70 title for the Harry Alan Towers/Franco film) but an ArrowDrome release of that needs subtitles not the dubtitles on the BU disc.

FEMALE VAMPIRE with subs would be an upgrade over the Image disc, but can it get through the BBFC with that inconsequential S&M scene?

VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD would be great if the "Jean Rollin zombie version" were reconstructed - minus the optical fogging - as an extra, and the other deleted scenes. A Franco interview would be great for this title.

SADISTIC BARON VON KLAUS needs the opening murder restored (I'm not sure if this was just left out of Eurocine's new master or if it was exclusive to the Spanish version - I used to have a French VHS and it was missing from that version too).

I'd like to see the OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES version with the OASIS OF THE LIVING DEAD title card. ZOMBIE LAKE might play better in French with subtitles (the original French title sequence or the English one would be nice - Eurocine's master for the film has new, plain computer generated credits that have some errors).
Old 24th October 2011, 09:47 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It all depends on your expectations and, if you think The Devil's Kiss will be a long forgotten piece of quality gothic European cinema, you will be disappointed.

However if you don't mind something which is creaky and unintentionally amusing, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapata
It is creaky and probably would have been better received had it been made in the sixties, or had it had someone like Paul Naschy or Amando de Ossorio behind it actually infusing the whole scenario with eroticism and perversion rather than just inserting it with some bland sex scenes.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
And yet VATLD is a film I've REPEATEDLY tried to get into,but fail miserably everytime.....
I have to say that A Virgin Among the Living Dead is one of my favourites from the resoundingly cool Uncle Jess. I love the creepy, yet ethereal atmosphere, and the great cast. And if that wasn't enough you have got to love those deliriously attractive Euro-cult actresses Christina Von Blanc and Britt Nichols!
Old 25th October 2011, 12:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc View Post
I hope AWFUL DR. ORLOFF gets a 16:9 transfer. There's already a 16:9 transfer for EUGENIE DE SADE (actually just EUGENIE, the DE SADE part of the title is actually a note of authorship - I like the DE SADE 2000 title for EUGENIE and the DE SADE 70 title for the Harry Alan Towers/Franco film) but an ArrowDrome release of that needs subtitles not the dubtitles on the BU disc.

FEMALE VAMPIRE with subs would be an upgrade over the Image disc, but can it get through the BBFC with that inconsequential S&M scene?

VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD would be great if the "Jean Rollin zombie version" were reconstructed - minus the optical fogging - as an extra, and the other deleted scenes. A Franco interview would be great for this title.

SADISTIC BARON VON KLAUS needs the opening murder restored (I'm not sure if this was just left out of Eurocine's new master or if it was exclusive to the Spanish version - I used to have a French VHS and it was missing from that version too).

I'd like to see the OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES version with the OASIS OF THE LIVING DEAD title card. ZOMBIE LAKE might play better in French with subtitles (the original French title sequence or the English one would be nice - Eurocine's master for the film has new, plain computer generated credits that have some errors).
EUGENIE DE SADE, to use one of the many alternative titles, is indeed a good film Pete.

It may be possible that Female Vampire would pass unscathed these days if resubmitted, and I agree with you that English subtitles would be a great addition to the French track. It is also a shame that Image made a cut to one scene of the film for the US DVD release, but it is highly unlikely that it would be reinstated for any future UK release.

I quite enjoyed the French version of Oasis of the Zombies, as featured on the US Image DVD, but I've heard it said that the Spanish version is far superior; so I hope the latter is the one chosen by Arrow should there be a new release.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I think FV will pass without cuts, the dungeon scene is pretty mild compared to some of the stuff that's been passed during the last few years.

The Spanish version of OASIS was apparently shot with different cast members and is gorier.
Daemonia likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th October 2011, 12:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but when are we going to see some Franco on the Blu-ray format? Somebody, somewhere must be working on HD remasters of his catalogue? Surely?
Old 25th October 2011, 03:53 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I think FV will pass without cuts, the dungeon scene is pretty mild compared to some of the stuff that's been passed during the last few years.

The Spanish version of OASIS was apparently shot with different cast members and is gorier.
The Spanish version features a different score, some gore, and only two of the main actors are replaced (Henri Lambert in the French version is replaced by Eduardo Fajardo in the Spanish version, and Lina Romay replaces the French actress playing his partner in the French version). The Spanish replacement scenes were shot afterward.
Old 25th October 2011, 03:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc View Post
The Spanish version features a different score, some gore, and only two of the main actors are replaced (Henri Lambert in the French version is replaced by Eduardo Fajardo in the Spanish version, and Lina Romay replaces the French actress playing his partner in the French version). The Spanish replacement scenes were shot afterward.
Thanks for the info ecc.

Is it an improvement over the French version?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th October 2011, 04:09 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Thanks for the info ecc.

Is it an improvement over the French version?
It's been a while since I've seen it, but the score is more atmospheric and we get to see a zombie in the first scene (although it is just a shot under the credits, not an actual onscreen attack). After Henri Lambert/Eduardo Fajardo's character dies, the film is pretty much the same in both versions apart from the scoring.

Like this? Share it using the links below!