Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2011, 08:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Great news, I don't own this on any format and have never seen it. Having enjoyed every Frank Henelotter film I've seen, I'll definitely be investing. Arrow really couldn't go wrong with the cover for this one
Old 30th September 2011, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm not sure this is my cup of tea, as the expression goes, but I'm loving the artwork.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:16 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Nice artwork, but who writes those taglines? A tale of Sluts and Bolts? Bit sexist, isn't it? I had hoped horror had moved on a bit by now, this just reinforces the notion that horror fans are weird and a little bit misogynistic. No, I'm not a prude, I just think restraint can sometimes be as effective as gratuitousness. It kind of gives credence to the idea that horror is a 'man only' domain. Strange, nerdy, virginal men, at that.

Chicks dig the horror?

They will be watching pro-wrestling next...

Seriously though. The Title of the film is Frankenhooker -- that gives you an indication of the tone and content of the movie before we even get to the tagline. If I was the blushing type, the title alone would put me off buying the movie from a shop...

Anyway...I miss the days when I was strange, nerdy and virginal...

Not one for double dipping but I love Henenlotter so might get this for the extra features.
Old 1st October 2011, 11:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I do understand that this is an old tagline. I dunno, I guess I'd kind of like to see horror and exploitation get the respect it deserves from outside horror fan circles and promotion like this doesn't really help the cause.

And yes, 'chicks' do dig horror. My missus does at any rate, Cannibal Holocaust is her favourite film. I just think that by creating a 'man only' aura it drives away the female audience, which is a bad thing in my book. I realise these films are exploitation, so the taglines are, I suppose, appropriate. But it would be nice to see these films advertised in more of a way to grab new viewers rather than drive them away. And, for my money, the female point of view on these films is often far more interesting than what the males have to say.

Anyway, I'll pick this up regardless, as I'm a fan of Henenlotter.
Old 1st October 2011, 12:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The problem is, if you start marketing certain films as something they're not, or toning down the taglines and the artwork in order to appeal to a wider market, the casual viewer could be horrified and be put off for life!

At least you know exactly what you're getting when you buy Frankenhooker. Hell, the title alone should be an indication of what you've let yourself in for!

As for a man only aura, yes there is the traditional 'boobs and blood' masculine vibe to the vast majority of horror films (especially from the 1970s onwards), but you should be blaming the studios, producers, screenwriters, and directors for that. Plus, there are plenty of women out there who love horror films as much as men, whether it be Friday the 13th or Nekromantik!
Old 1st October 2011, 01:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
Chicks dig the horror?

Uhm... you do realise that it's a (whisper it) 'chick' who edits, films and produces all the extras we do for these discs? We met through a mutual love of these movies.

Then again, I know, and have always known, plenty of girls who love horror.
Old 1st October 2011, 02:04 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Uhm... you do realise that it's a (whisper it) 'chick' who edits, films and produces all the extras we do for these discs? We met through a mutual love of these movies.

Then again, I know, and have always known, plenty of girls who love horror.
Awww, don't be so hard on yourself Calum, I'd hardly call you a chick! of course, I know you mean Naomi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st October 2011, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I saw this for the first time recently on the Horror channel, and it was ok I find that the Horror channel shows alot of Arrow titles
Old 1st October 2011, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Well, despite my murmurings of very slight discontent, I accept that Arrow know what they're doing when they market these films. It's obviously working as they keep releasing new titles, so far be it for me to tell them how to run things.

I was just....well....it makes the films seem a bit tacky. Then again, I suppose they are....
Old 1st October 2011, 04:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Of course they are!

It's a case of back to the days when artwork and outrageous taglines MADE you pick up a title!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!