All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2010, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
That's not a bad option. At least you can satisfy both groups that way.
I have yet to see Martin. The trailer wasn't that great but I've herd some good things about the film.
I love Martin. It's my favourite Romero film after NOTLD.
Old 18th April 2010, 02:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Or how about a widescreen version of Martin on disc one and a full frame transfer on disc two seeing as Romero is apparently adamant this film should be seen in the Academy ratio.

Just a thought on my part after all ABUK gave The Evil Dead similar treatment as part of their ED trilogy box set years ago. A combination of a 16 x 9 version for the widescreen purists and a 4.3 print for the full screen fanatics. So everybody's happy.
More disks should include this option. I'd rather this than a load of "Making of..." and "Interview with..." and "The Brazilian TV teaser trailer" extras that I'll probably never watch.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I love Martin. It's my favourite Romero film after NOTLD.
I recently ordered The Crazies which people say is a tie with Martin for Romero's second or third best film.
Old 19th April 2010, 07:24 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I recently ordered The Crazies which people say is a tie with Martin for Romero's second or third best film.
I have to admit to not being a huge fan of Romero's Crazies. No where near the quality of Martin and his original Dead Trilogy imo.
Old 19th April 2010, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I have to admit to not being a huge fan of Romero's Crazies. No where near the quality of Martin and his original Dead Trilogy imo.
A lot of people claim that The Crazies is boring and I know Romero can often be hit and miss with his work. I've ordered the new Anchor Bay UK dvd. I want to check it out before I see the remake.
Old 19th April 2010, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Crazies has a few problems:

- If you watch it as stand-alone film, without regarding who made it and what thoughline you can clearly see develop (the one that gave us Dawn of the Dead), the film may disappoint you. But within the whole contexct, I think it is a nice little film, with some good ideas and an absolutely in-the-face ending!

- If you expect a full budget horror movie, you will be disappointed all the way, it has a very limited budget and it is also not really horror, art least not in the gory sense. It has some blood, sure, but not in a full forward fasion as we all love in Dawn and Day... Think mor in direction of TV movie, I know it was not, but this frame of mind might help you to see beyond the rather cheap-looking fassade.

- If you expect a modern film - forget it, unfortunately I think that The Crazies has not aged too well (but this also fits to the second point and could be overcome the same way).

----

Taking these problems aside, I still see The Crazies as a very strong piece, featuring all the aspects that made the good Romero zombie films so good - most notably there is the doubt of who is good and who is evil.

It is also funny to see some familiar faces from other Romero films
Old 19th April 2010, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

sounds Awesome!
Old 20th April 2010, 05:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
Crazies has a few problems:

- If you watch it as stand-alone film, without regarding who made it and what thoughline you can clearly see develop (the one that gave us Dawn of the Dead), the film may disappoint you. But within the whole contexct, I think it is a nice little film, with some good ideas and an absolutely in-the-face ending!

- If you expect a full budget horror movie, you will be disappointed all the way, it has a very limited budget and it is also not really horror, art least not in the gory sense. It has some blood, sure, but not in a full forward fasion as we all love in Dawn and Day... Think mor in direction of TV movie, I know it was not, but this frame of mind might help you to see beyond the rather cheap-looking fassade.

- If you expect a modern film - forget it, unfortunately I think that The Crazies has not aged too well (but this also fits to the second point and could be overcome the same way).

----

Taking these problems aside, I still see The Crazies as a very strong piece, featuring all the aspects that made the good Romero zombie films so good - most notably there is the doubt of who is good and who is evil.

It is also funny to see some familiar faces from other Romero films
Maybe I should go into it expecting the worst. It does sound rather boring. My expectations aren't high for it anyway. I don't expect it to be modern (it was made in the 70's) and I'd expect the budget to be limited with this type of film anyway. I'll see how it goes.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:28 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Want to see some fabulous Vampire Martin artwork?

Here are the four panels you'll get to choose to display:

Rick's all new painting Panel 1:

US artwork and Thorn EMI Video release Panel 2:

Argentinian artwork Panel 3:

And this fabulous find from Marc Morris who has been slaving on this release with his usual above and beyond dedication!

Thai Poster Panel 4:

How tasty are those options?
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:24 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Re: Arrow Video - Martin

Wow tough choice. I really like them all.

Like this? Share it using the links below!