Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2010, 07:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's been ages since I saw Martin -- I think it was probably when I reviewed the double disc release a couple of years ago! I'm really looking forward to seeing it again as it is one of my all-time favourite vampire movies and one of my favourite Romero films.

It looks like Arrow have done a great job but I'll try and keep an open mind until I see for myself.
Old 31st May 2010, 09:01 PM
Cult Rookie

A wonderful film I think and I can't wait for the new release. Arrow were kind enough to quote my review on the cover of their previous release.
Old 4th June 2010, 02:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Got to admit I didn't pay much attention to this release as I already had the Lionsgate one but I didn't realise it had all 3 versions! I was after a 4:3 version anyway but now the Lionsgate will be heading to ebay! I actually think that this will be one of Arrow's finest releases. Shame I won't have access to PAL again for another 4 months or so but it'll be a definite purchase for me then.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:25 PM
Cult Veteran

Pre-order in with Play.com now £9.99 (HMV seems to take too long to deliver IMO). I'll be using the Razor Blade cover I think, and the new original artwork too, depending on my mood when I play the movie!
Old 4th June 2010, 04:49 PM
Ex-member

My pre-order at Amazon.co.uk @£9.99 changed to say this:

"Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-Speci...dp/B002XT38A0/

Then I saw this link show up @ this price £11.99 w/a June 21st release date:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-Speci...dp/B002XT389Q/

I contacted them immediately to switch the products yet maintain the lower price. They did. If you cancel this order and re-order, you can't lock in the lower price. I don't know why they didn't simply change the release date and price on the original one. Whomever ordered it early would automatically get it for the lowest price before its release date.
Old 4th June 2010, 06:11 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Pre-order in with Play.com now £9.99 (HMV seems to take too long to deliver IMO). I'll be using the Razor Blade cover I think, and the new original artwork too, depending on my mood when I play the movie!
I've had no problems with HMV. I got City of the Living Dead 3 days before it was released.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:31 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
My pre-order at Amazon.co.uk @£9.99 changed to say this:

"Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."

Then I saw this link show up @ this price £11.99 w/a June 21st release date:

I contacted them immediately to switch the products yet maintain the lower price. They did. If you cancel this order and re-order, you can't lock in the lower price. I don't know why they didn't simply change the release date and price on the original one. Whomever ordered it early would automatically get it for the lowest price before its release date.
thanks for the heads-up.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:14 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Press release

MARTIN

GEORGE A. ROMERO’S

MASTERFUL REINVENTION OF THE VAMPIRE GENRE COMES TO
DVD AS A SPECIAL TWO-DISC COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Writer-director George A. Romero’s personal favourite of his own movies, Martin is a genuinely disturbing horror film that turns the traditional conventions of the vampire myth inside out and one which, at the time of its original release, reinvented the vampire movie genre. Now, Romero’s masterpiece comes to DVD as a special two disc release courtesy of Arrow Video featuring the original theatrical cut of the film (with 5.1 and Stereo audio options plus a choice of 16:9 and the Romero-recommended ‘Academy’ 4:3 aspect ratio presentations), the Italian cut of the film (reputedly edited by Dario Argento) and featuring music by Goblin, plus a host of other extra features.

Despite a lack of fangs, and having no aversion to daylight, garlic or crucifixes, insecure teenager Martin believes he is actually an 84-year-old vampire compelled to drink the blood of humans in order to survive. Martin’s belief is reinforced by his elderly uncle, Cuda, with whom he is sent to stay to work in his Pittsburgh grocery store. Cuda is convinced vampirism is part of their family curse and refers to Martin as ‘Nosferatu’, employing ineffective Old World defences in an attempt to keep the teenager at bay. Driven by his insatiable blood lust, the frustrated and confused Martin is forced to kill and feed, first drugging his victims to reduce their suffering before opening their veins with a razor blade. However, his inhuman desires are almost overcome when he begins an affair with a desperate older woman and he starts to question the validity of his self-belief.

An intelligent, modern day story of addiction, sexuality, and obsession given a unique vampire twist, Romero's film begins with a typically shocking opening scene that perfectly sets the tone for what is to come. Romero regular John Amplas (Creepshow; Day Of The Dead) gives an astonishing, sympathetic performance as the eponymous anti-hero, starring alongside the real-life Mrs. Romero, Christine Forrest (Dawn Of The Dead; Knightriders; Creepshow; Monkey Shines; The Dark Half), make-up wizard Tom Savini, and, as an ineffectual priest, the director himself.

Hugely underrated at the time of its release, Martin has now come to be accepted by many critics and horror fans as Romero's finest work to date.

Martin (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Arrow Video on 21st June 2010.

Special Features include: the original theatrical cut of the film with 5.1 and Stereo audio options plus a choice of 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio presentations; ‘Wampyre’ – the Italian cut of the film, featuring Italian dialogue (with optional English subtitles) and musical score by Goblin; ‘Making Martin: A Recounting’; Documentary on George A. Romero; TV and radio spots; original theatrical trailer; photo gallery; four sleeve art options; double sided poster; exclusive collector’s booklet; six original poster art postcards.

Old 7th June 2010, 01:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched this on Saturday night (and again with the commentary) and then watched the Italian cut last night. It is a very fine package and I haven't even seen the sleeves, poster, booklet and art cards. I can't wait to have the final version -- just having the discs isn't enough!
Old 9th June 2010, 10:37 PM
Active Cultist

DVDBeaver comparison.

Like this? Share it using the links below!