Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2012, 05:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It's troubling to read Almar's comments that indicate that UK labels are having such a tough time of it at the moment. We do our bit by supporting their releases as much as we can, but doubtless Arrow want high volume sales, just a handful of people on here buying them simply isn't enough to ensure Arrow's survival. So, I'm behind whatever they need to do to continue their existence.

And I just ordered Arrow's Phenomena on BD. I simply must have that with all the bells and whistles before it switches to unlimited status.
Old 26th January 2012, 05:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good shout Dae.....I'd love to see the comments if we go back to releases in the same class as Vipco's were.

ANY business will do what it has to do to survive.

As for the comment above,do the majority of people pay for an Arrow release at £16?

I don't think so......
Daemonia likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
As for the comment above,do the majority of people pay for an Arrow release at £16?
Well, I did pay about £15 for City of the Living Dead, but then I grabbed that day one of release. One of my all time favourite films and Arrow did it proud. Worth every single penny for all the enjoyment it's brought me. Already watched it 3 times, so it's paid for itself already.

I'm just hoping that Arrow (and Shameless) can weather these tough financial times that we're all feeling right now. As Reaps rightfully points out, we could still be stuck with Vipco and their *ahem* outstanding releases.

Arrow and Shameless have brought a touch of class to the UK genre scene - and for that we should all be thankful. Not only that, but they've pushed boundaries with the BBFC, even to the point of having censorship decisions reversed.

Long live the new flesh!
Old 27th January 2012, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I would pay more for the Arrow Disks, if I could, often I have to wait for a price drop though, because many of the films are baddies over here and if they are banned (we call it "beschlagnahmt") over here, there is a high risk that it will be snatched by customs. So amazon could be an alternative as they post from the UK and it should not be hassled by customs - but they seem to have lists with some of the very bad baddies and cannot ship it to German addresses...

Gues how I am feeling about Demons 1 or 2 (I still have to check which was the one that customs snatched on its way to me many years ago...

I still do all I can to keep one of my favourite labels, alive and kicking!

Edit: Confess, who has been shamelessly (nice pun *gg*) reading my post and then post a release announcement on facebook? It worked - I just preordered the Dmons BDs - and guess what, it worked, so they either have not checked the lists, or the problem is no longer present, or does not apply for preorders... Whatever the reason, I will have to make some room for more of the great stuff! Thanks!!

Last edited by Roughale; 27th January 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 28th January 2012, 01:15 PM
Active Cultist

Please. Arrow Video! This is gettin' freakin' ridiculous. I've always loved and supported the label, even if I couldn't always afford to buy every release in a year or two upon first release.
And I'm sure most people want all the extras and additional goodies. What are we going to do?

I will never ever buy an unlimited release if there's a better counterpart, just a little more expensive, available.

By the way.
People don't buy Arrow releases for their "amazing transfers" first and foremost. At least not me and my friends. Also, most collectors I know of buy them for the additional goodies. We all want a complete set. The goodies are definitely worth the additional cost, even if they can be too expensive for your wallet initially. But it has always been worth the wait.

Regarding BlueU; you don't buy them for posters and such, you buy them for their better transfers.
I feel alienated... and not because I'm "used to" the great packages. This just feels like sad news.

Sorry... rant is over!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Does it matter where you buy the films from? If Amazon sell one for £10 and Hmv store £17. Does Arrow get the same profit?
Old 28th January 2012, 04:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Does it matter where you buy the films from? If Amazon sell one for £10 and Hmv store £17. Does Arrow get the same profit?
That's my understanding. When Amazon was selling Dario Argento: The Neo-Giallo Collection for £5.69, Arrow was urging people to buy it.

My guess is retailers by units for a certain price from Arrow (or whatever distributor) and then charge what they want so, as long as the items are being sold and the retailers want as many as possible, the price doesn't affect the distributor.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Is there still a hint of a gale in this teacup then?
Old 28th January 2012, 04:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's my understanding. When Amazon was selling Dario Argento: The Neo-Giallo Collection for £5.69, Arrow was urging people to buy it.
I did and it looks lovely. Shame i can't open it as i am trying to save it to give someone as a birthday/Christmas gift.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Bollocks!

A box of Ferrero Rocher will suffice.

Get it opened man!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!