LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2012, 12:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norliss View Post
Another title that seems to come off worse in a comparison with the BU release. Frankly, hardly any of these Italian horrors are done justice on BD largely because of the transfer facility in Italy but Arrow's effort is noticably weaker than BU with a lower bitrate etc.

Why do Arrow keep dropping the ball?
Yeah, half the bitrate of the BU version does it no favours.
Steel76, LoBo and zane like this.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Arrow really needs to boost the bitrate and better their encodings, as they always have problems with this compared to the BU discs.

Another thing Arrow must learn is to put ALL High Def extras on the second disc, which gives the movie much more room to breath in.
As the more High Def stuff you cram on a disc, even dual layer, the more the compression suffers.

I love Arrows packagings and extras, but the quality on the movie itself should ALWAYS be the top priority.
If they get better at the encodings, then they will REALLY leave BU in the dust
LoBo and zane like this.
Old 30th June 2012, 02:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Some people have complained about BU's version being drenched in video noise, but it looks pretty good imo.

Can't comment on Arrow's.
Old 30th June 2012, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Yeah, there is videonoise on the BU disc, but it´s thankfully far from being the worst example out there.

I hope we will see these movies transfered at another lab in the future where we could finally get transfers with natural filmgrain and fine-details, without being drenched in videonoise, DNR or other unwanted artifacts.

But until then, the BU disc will do the trick

Someone really should go over to the LVR lab in Italy and smash their faulty old tele-cine equipment to pieces, forcing them to upgrade
LoBo and zane like this.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by norliss View Post
Another title that seems to come off worse in a comparison with the BU release. Arrow's effort is noticably weaker than BU with a lower bitrate etc.
No doubt this is the reason a friend of mine was disappointed with Arrow's transfer and found subsequent satisfaction with BU's BR. He holds on to the former for the packaging and extras and keeps the latter for the PQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, half the bitrate of the BU version does it no favours.
Too true and another case of BU coming out on top in the PQ stakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Arrow really needs to boost the bitrate and better their encodings, as they always have problems with this compared to the BU discs.

Another thing Arrow must learn is to put ALL High Def extras on the second disc, which gives the movie much more room to breath in.
As the more High Def stuff you cram on a disc, even dual layer, the more the compression suffers.

I love Arrows packagings and extras, but the quality on the movie itself should ALWAYS be the top priority.
If they get better at the encodings, then they will REALLY leave BU in the dust.
Well said and the only extra suitable for inclusion on the film disc should be any potential audio commentary.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

I hope Arrow take on board these comments about the picture quality of their Blu-ray release of House by the Cemetery - as compared to the Blue Underground edition - for their Zombie Flesh Eaters Blu.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiren View Post
I've emailed Arrow and now have replacements discs for this and The Beyond on the way to me.

Fantastic customer service. Thank you Arrow
I just feel sorry for the buyers that don´t hang on these forums and don´t even know they got "faulty" discs, and that there are a much improved replacement disc for "The Beyond" etc.

I had to point a few buyer over to this forum to let them know about it.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I hope Arrow take on board these comments about the picture quality of their Blu-ray release of House by the Cemetery - as compared to the Blue Underground edition - for their Zombie Flesh Eaters Blu.
Yup, if the Arrow disc has a great encoding job and lacks the DNR, then I will be very happy to upgrade
Old 30th July 2012, 08:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Ok just put this in the player ... please tell me other members are seeing the same shimmering, flickering snow storm of a mess?!

Is mine faulty? Hopefully ... cos i really hope Arrow aren't putting out terrible releases like this!

Sorry, i have to turn it off ... the Arrow dvd looks great ... this blu is by far the worst thing i have ever seen on this format!

Old 1st August 2012, 01:59 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
Ok just put this in the player ... please tell me other members are seeing the same shimmering, flickering snow storm of a mess?!

Is mine faulty? Hopefully ... cos i really hope Arrow aren't putting out terrible releases like this!

Sorry, i have to turn it off ... the Arrow dvd looks great ... this blu is by far the worst thing i have ever seen on this format!

If it looked like these screencaptures: The House by the Cemetery Blu-ray: Dual Format Edition (United Kingdom)

Then, no it isn't defective. This release has scanner noise as most Italian horror films released on Blu-ray. Just like Arrow's City of the Living Dead.

That had a lot of noise plus compression (which looks a bit similar to film grain) problems which only made it worse. This BD also have compression issues compared to the Blue Underground BD.

I think my BU BD looks pretty good compared to old DVD. Both have been compared here: The House by the Cemetery | Blu-ray: US vs. DVD: US

Last edited by LoBo; 1st August 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!