Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2012, 06:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It doesn't have more to offer!

By printing one dual format unlimited version, it saves Arrow spending more money printing separate unlimited versions of both the DVD and BD release once they sell out.

Not exactly rocket science is it?
Old 12th March 2012, 06:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
It doesn't have more to offer!

By printing one dual format unlimited version, it saves Arrow spending more money printing separate unlimited versions of both the DVD and BD release once they sell out.

Not exactly rocket science is it?
I don't get the confusion. Sometimes it seems people are so against something they look for issues that aren't there. Or, y'know, they just misread things - human error etc
Old 12th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Cult Rookie

I'd count the DVD copy as a special feature, they are always handy to have for portable viewing.
Old 12th March 2012, 06:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiGusto View Post
I'd count the DVD copy as a special feature, they are always handy to have for portable viewing.
Seriously? I find the Double/Triple play things a waste of time to be honest. If I have a copy in HD I'm incredibly unlikely to watch it on dvd and there's zero chance of me watching it on my iPod. I tend to give away the dvd copies to friends.

In that case though, fair enough, the Unlimited Edition does have more, technically. But a lesser-quality copy of the film really seems like an odd thing to get annoyed about.
Old 12th March 2012, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Where are you getting that from? Compare Sarah's post with the 3 disc Unlimited Edition with the 2 disc Limited Edition on the Arrow website:

That's the same content isn't it? Just the Unlimited Version has an extra dvd with the film and the same extras as the bluray. Sarah even says the same in her post - "The main BD will be the same only with 4 artworks, poster and no DVD", by which she's referring to the addition dvd with the feature on, not the extras dvd.
No it´s not... I was referring to the DVD with the movie.

If I said "more exclusives" I was talking about the thing that separates the Limited from the Unlimited... the movie DVD.

As far as a double play may seem obsolete for some people, others like me value this thing. As a pesonal matter, I only have a blu-ray player, but have 4 DVD players. If I wanna take a movie to friends house, the majority of my friends still have DVD.

As a personal matter, this may be a deal breaker for me, so I´ll always get the unlimited, cheaper, and double play edition.
Old 12th March 2012, 07:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Then I'm genuinely shocked. I honestly thought most people who have bluray players don't see the point in an additional dvd with the film on
Old 12th March 2012, 07:59 PM
Cult Addict

I had no idea that Unlimited would be double play. This has completely changed my view on the scheme. I'm all for it now. Still gonna try and get as many Limited editions as possible though.

DVD and BD collection
Old 12th March 2012, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Then I'm genuinely shocked. I honestly thought most people who have bluray players don't see the point in an additional dvd with the film on
Don´t be... as much as I understand your view of things (I too think that HD is wonderful), there are still many people who find DVDs usefull.

Blu-Ray is growing fast but, not much a minority, it is still far from be in all the houses that have DVDs... and as I explained, DVD is still a significant part on the lives of some people that already have blu-rays.

As an example, in France, one of the richest countries in Europe, blu-rays are still a very small niche in the market... still, they have wonderfull exclusives.

I just stand by my point, and I hope your understand it... Limited was the one that should have the extra movie DVD.
Old 12th March 2012, 08:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

As Baseball Fury commented above, I'm strongly suspecting the reason that the Unlimited version will have the DVD is to prevent a separate BD and DVD release from having to be made, which will therefore save on printing/packaging costs.

The limited version is 'limited' due to the extra packaging costs associated with the slipcover and extra artwork panels.

I guess it comes down to personal preference; I'd personally rather have four artwork options and a slipcover, so will be opting for LE release. Although many will much prefer the dual format 2 artwork paneled, non-slipcovered release.

My worry is: Is this the beginning of the end of Arrowdrome?! I can't see releases like Cat, Bird, etc. being given separate DVD releases on Arrowdrome when they will eventually be bundled in with Blus when their BD counterparts reach the end of their limited life. However, I'm sure we won't be seeing films like The Man with the Severed Head on Blu-ray quite yet!

Also, I highly suspect that the older House by the Cemetery Arrow Video DVD will go OOP pretty soon after the dual format HBTC unlimited version is released.
Old 12th March 2012, 08:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be honest, i'd be glad if there were no more Arrowdrome releases of AV titles, keep 'em separate I say!
PaulD, dream demon and Hawkmonger like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!