Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

This is the only thing I hate about the BD format, all the updates with new encryptions/copy protections etc, that makes some players freeze, forcing people to wait for the next firmware, or worse.

This was one part where the HD-DVD format was far superior, as it was completely finished when going through the gates, while BD is still changing and evolving after 6 years on the market.

Though it also comes down to how picky the hardware is, as my Sony BDP-360 havenĀ“t been updated since 2010, and still play everything I throw into it.

Getting a bit worried now though
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:12 PM
Cult Rookie

I cant even get them to work on my hp laptop, it just keeps asking to "check for updates" and refuses to even load
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Futher update! player number 3 - no success :(

Further update! I CANNOT get it to play in an lg BD560 - with an ethernet connection to the network AND fully updated just now, so that's 3 different players and no luck

EDIT - my laptop now plays it fine once i had re-downloaded the new software!
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Just to add to the thread, my discs work perfectly fine in my Region B PS3 with not even as much as a loading time after the trailer reel finishes, straight into the menu.

It'd be a shame if this release needs to be recalled to re-author the menus.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

For the ones that have trouble with the discs loading, are your players connected to the internet? If so, disconnect and try again. I know some discs are looking for BD-Live stuff when the player is online which can extend loading times to the extreme.

Those damn BD-Java menus are also to blame for a lot of these errors.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:17 PM
Cult Rookie

I can report that the discs work fine with a Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Disconnecting from the internet makes no difference.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've never had a day's problem with my trusty Panasonic BD player. Panasonic build good, reliable stuff. My first DVD player, a Panasonic I bought in 1999 has only just started to not work properly. 13 years ain't bad.

I'll be picking up this set at some point soon, so hopefully the Panny won't have any issues with them.

And, as someone else said, BD was rushed out to market because HD DVD got there ahead of them. As such, it was issued without any final specs, profiles were constantly changing and early players had problems playing newer discs. Unfortunately, at time of release, Sony and the BDA fumbled the ball a bit and caused a lot of unnecessary confusion amongst consumers. Which is crazy when you consider as far back as 1999 Sony were already working on Blue laser technology, I remember reading it in a tech magazine circa July 1999. They had literally years to get it right - and still didn't.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

For what it is worth (I doubt very much!) I have contacted Samsung via their 'site.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:58 PM
Cult Rookie

UPDATE!! randomly decided to press the pause / play button when i had the black screen and it suddenly skipped onto the next scene! managed to get to the main menu, but as as soon as i hit play film it froze, so tried it again and it skipped back to the arrow trailer

EDIT! - right, whenever it stops on the black screen (samsung d5500) you have to go to the touch panel on the actual player and press the "play/pause" button until then button stops flashing, then keep doing this randomly and eventually it flicks to the next chapter and will play!, there must be some "skip chapter" button command

Like this? Share it using the links below!