Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:13 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC77 View Post
I, on the other hand, would be disappointed if they were only on Blu-Ray. You can't please everybody (and at least your Blu-Ray players can actually play the DVDs).
It's 2012, who and why are people still buying DVDs if the movie has a HD version available. The BD player I have in the bedroom was £45 in Asda, the BD drive on my PC was cheaper. The DVD's themselves are no cheaper. Why wouldnt you want to see the films you love in the best image possible.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFist View Post
Arrow posted this on their FaceBook: There has been a leak by someone in the retail biz about our titles so we are going to be announcing our titles earlier than expected!

So we can now be 100% sure those titles are correct.
I get what you say, but... Seems great P.R. to get whole forums getting into what new releases are, which then gets facebook, twitter and others giving Arrow free publicity (even it forces early confirmations) as you may guess, I quite like this sort of thing, pretty good way to generate talk about upcoming releases all over the place.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
It's 2012, who and why are people still buying DVDs if the movie has a HD version available. The BD player I have in the bedroom was £45 in Asda, the BD drive on my PC was cheaper. The DVD's themselves are no cheaper. Why wouldnt you want to see the films you love in the best image possible.
Economics, I had a choice of Shameless CH on Blu for £25 or the dvd for £8, no contest.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:47 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Economics, I had a choice of Shameless CH on Blu for £25 or the dvd for £8, no contest.
So you bought 3 copies of the dvd instead - and still saved yourself a pound...
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Not a fan of online ordering platostotal? I'm sure I bought bluray if CH for about £12 online
Old 2nd August 2012, 01:26 PM
Cultist

Quote:
I question your choice there. The only reason to buy Shameless' version of CH was to get it in HD, why would anyone want a cut version of CH in standard def when there's already good looking uncut CH DVDs out there?!! A lot of the animal violence remains so it's not like it's a must buy if you want to avoid the nasty animal stuff.
relicuk and robertzombie like this.
Old 2nd August 2012, 01:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

I like to walk out with my purchase in hand, so don't use import/net to buy stuff, I can live without 15sec of muskrat death so Shameless it is, But your original point about Blu still comes down to price, why else are dvds still filling shelves... Cheaper, but if you ask would I trade my copy of 2001 on Blu for a dvd, no chance, 1080p done well can make your eyes bleed, so I agree that a great transfer will be worth the dosh but dvd still has a p.q. that's no disgrace and will appeal to the public for a bit yet.
Old 2nd August 2012, 02:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
I like to walk out with my purchase in hand, so don't use import/net to buy stuff, I can live without 15sec of muskrat death so Shameless it is, But your original point about Blu still comes down to price, why else are dvds still filling shelves... Cheaper, but if you ask would I trade my copy of 2001 on Blu for a dvd, no chance, 1080p done well can make your eyes bleed, so I agree that a great transfer will be worth the dosh but dvd still has a p.q. that's no disgrace and will appeal to the public for a bit yet.
A horror fan that doesn't import? you must have shelves full of cut VHS tapes.

Also a lot of these companys are doing EXCELLENT restorations of old films that really do look a million miles better than their DVD counterparts. Granted some BD's are not much better than the DVD but some are like night and day and definitely deserve the extra cash, which isn't a great deal these days if you shop around. HD FTW IMO
Old 2nd August 2012, 02:15 PM
Cultist

Quote:
But your original point about Blu still comes down to price, why else are dvds still filling shelves... Cheaper
Of course its price but at this point the difference is neglible between the two. For e.g. the original [cut] NY Ripper DVD release is same price as blue underground's uncut BD release. I can't remember the last time I bought anything in a proper brick n motar store, because I'm a tight ass and price is the most important thing to me.

The mind boggles why you'll happily chat away online on a cult collectors forum about movies you love but wont take a sec to tab onto a online store, get the movies for much cheaper, delivered to your door, uncut in HD. There's really nothing to say to anyone who is set in their ways. You can say "Because I want to" to any argument, doesnt mean that it makes any kind of logical sense to me.
Old 2nd August 2012, 02:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
Of course its price but at this point the difference is neglible between the two. For e.g. the original [cut] NY Ripper DVD release is same price as blue underground's uncut BD release. I can't remember the last time I bought anything in a proper brick n motar store, because I'm a tight ass and price is the most important thing to me.

The mind boggles why you'll happily chat away online on a cult collectors forum about movies you love but wont take a sec to tab onto a online store, get the movies for much cheaper, delivered to your door, uncut in HD. There's really nothing to say to anyone who is set in their ways. You can say "Because I want to" to any argument, doesnt mean that it makes any kind of logical sense to me.
Good point, but i've never handed over money/credit card details only to find my hands remain empty and my goods and seller go 'pfftt' into an abyss never to be seen again, if you search this very forum you'll find the perils of online shopping easily, but you're right 'old dogs new tricks' etc.

Like this? Share it using the links below!