Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Baba Yaga
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:33 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

27th April for this 'un.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:24 PM
Cult Rookie

I signed up just for this movie, as I have a few comments and questions. Sorry for my late input, as I just recently discovered this movie. I first watched it on the nice Blue Underground version, then watched it on the horrible St. Clair Vision version.

Comments:

1) The cover: I think your cover looks great! However, isn't the picture spoiling the movie a bit? I think a picture of Baba Yaga or Valentina would be better. And possibly adding colour, so it's not mistaken as a black & white movie. Also, your title text looks nice, but I'd prefer to see the text from the title in the movie used.

2) Name: I agree with some others, it should be something simple like "Baba Yaga (Definitive Directorial Edition)", or "Baba Yaga (Directors Cut)", or "Baba Yaga (Uncut & Uncensored)".

Questions:

3) Blu-ray: I know you have no plans to release blu-rays, but since you have a really good source this time, it would be great to see this movie make its directors cut debut in HD (preferably without region coding).

4) Audio: One thing that really bothered me about the movie was the audio. I suppose this would be too expensive to fix, but I think it would greatly enhance the movie. The dubbing is slightly off, and the acting and quality isn't very good.

5) Features: Is there any information you have about what extra features will be on the disc? Blue Underground had some pretty good ones, will you be using any of those?

Thanks!
Old 25th January 2009, 02:38 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Hi Lostboy - welcome aboard and thank you for your input.

Let's address your queries in turn:

1) The cover: I think your cover looks great! However, isn't the picture spoiling the movie a bit? I think a picture of Baba Yaga or Valentina would be better. And possibly adding colour, so it's not mistaken as a black & white movie. Also, your title text looks nice, but I'd prefer to see the text from the title in the movie used.

The cover is being tinkered with - we feel we're nearly there but it has turned into a bit of a labour of love but do note whatever you end up thinking of it you'll be able to flip the cover over and enjoy a classic Baba Yaga design.

2) Name: I agree with some others, it should be something simple like "Baba Yaga (Definitive Directorial Edition)", or "Baba Yaga (Directors Cut)", or "Baba Yaga (Uncut & Uncensored)".

The name has been bugging us a little - especially with all the comments and indeed even Farina isn't quite sure where it came from (it is written on the master though!) The like end title which we've settled on will be Baba Yaga: The Final Cut.

Questions:

3) Blu-ray: I know you have no plans to release blu-rays, but since you have a really good source this time, it would be great to see this movie make its directors cut debut in HD (preferably without region coding).

I don't want to start a rant about Blu Ray but the monopoly Sony has on this market and the insane costs involved in making a Blu Ray make it prohibitive - for now. We could try out a Blu Ray but it would be a toss-up between several DVDs or one Blu Ray in terms of our very limited development budget. That and the hideous Blu Ray cases! I suspect this will all change in time though.

4) Audio: One thing that really bothered me about the movie was the audio. I suppose this would be too expensive to fix, but I think it would greatly enhance the movie. The dubbing is slightly off, and the acting and quality isn't very good.

We plan to have both the English and Italian dubs for this release so you'll have a choice as to what you like best.

5) Features: Is there any information you have about what extra features will be on the disc? Blue Underground had some pretty good ones, will you be using any of those?

Extra features are being worked on but rest assured that this edition will have more extras than any other before including brand new ones created especially for Shameless.

I hope to announce the full rundown of this DVD soon so watch this space!
Old 25th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Cult Rookie

Thanks for the reply!
Old 25th January 2009, 11:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Can you see Shameless release a BlueRay of either the best selling DVD title or a new title during Shameless Phase 2 Almar.

The current UK shops have nothing of interest so maybe a nice HD print of something known like NY Ripper would be snapped up by horror starved collectors and casual buyers as well.

The UK BlueRay scene really needs a few of the old classics as alot of BlueRay owners like myself use PS3 which is territorial locked and are forced to choose from a very small pool of Horror titles .

Would'nt Shameless 2 be a good time to look at BluRay seriously ,? as most UK collectors have no other choice but to buy UK R2 disc's, and nobody is putting good Horror / Exploitation out yet.

I dont know how well BlueRay machines have sold, but I do know that a hell of alot of PS3's were sold, mainly in the 20 to 45 year old age bracket, pretty much the average age grouping that would buy Shameless DVD's.

I know Sony can be expensive to deal with and its a big risk on Shameless's side, but that territorial lock may be a blessing should Shameless ever consider BlueRay Almar .
Old 26th January 2009, 01:53 AM
Cult Rookie

Although if it was a region-free blu-ray disc (which according to Wikipedia is 70% of current discs), you should be able to play it on all blu-ray players, shouldn't you?
Old 30th January 2009, 08:43 AM
Cult Rookie

What's the chances of getting the rights to put out the 1988 Valentina TV series? I've never seen that, but I'd love to.
Old 30th January 2009, 09:15 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Sadly the first thought would be how would you sell that into HMV?
Old 17th March 2009, 04:11 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Exclamation

Here we go! FINALLY Baba Yaga is complete and the longest-gestating project in Shameless history is ready to move into production for your delectation and pleasure...

BABA YAGA: THE FINAL CUT

“The S&M Classic Restored, Re-graded, Re-edited and Re-Imagined”

The line between perverted dreams and fevered reality are torn apart as a beautiful witch (Carroll Baker, Baby Doll) gets her sapphic claws into a beautiful young photographer in this rampant adaptation of the classic Guido Crepax comic-book.

Now 35 years after original release director Corrado Farina has re-edited his film exclusively for Shameless, re-inserting footage cut by both the producers and censors, to bring us for the first time his vision as he would really have liked it seen. Restored, Re-graded, re-edited and re-imagined this is Baba Yaga: The Final Cut on a features-packed UK DVD!

When the beautiful Vallentia spurns the advances of the enigmatic witch, a curse is put on her camera and all those who pose for her are damned. Pursued by the sensuous seduction of Baba Yaga at every turn, she must either submit to her S&M desires or confront the repressed lesbian feelings buried deep within. Carnal lust explodes as she must choose between external decadence and staid reality, with her very soul at stake as witchcraft casts its spell.

Combining the haunting atmosphere of Polanski with the sexual styling of Argento on Crystal Meth, it’s all here: gorgeous lesbians, Nazi fantasies and even sinister sewing machines! Baba Yaga is 70’s Euro-sleaze at its very best, showcasing stunning cinematography and is a must for everyone let down by the distinctly prudish Barbarella when it comes to erotic Euro-comics.

Baba Yaga: The Final Cut (cert. 18) will be released uncut on DVD (£12.99) by Shameless Screen Entertainment on 27th April 2009. The new edit of the film will be presented remastered in 1.85:1 with choices of either English or Italian 2.0 sound with optional English subtitles.

Extra features are headed up with an introduction to the film by Corrado Farina plus an all-new in-depth interview. Also included on the disc are two Corrado Farina documentaries, ‘Freud A Fumetti’ (Farina explores the comic artwork of Crepax) and the never before seen ‘Fummettophobia’ (translates as ‘Comics-Phobia’), a Shameless Fact Track by The Wilson Bros, a collector’s photo gallery and a Shameless original trailer gallery which includes a teaser for the upcoming release of Luigi Bazzoni’s Footprints!

And now for the packshots....

THE FRONT (design courtesy of Eric Smit)

and THE REVERSE

Old 17th March 2009, 07:50 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Class.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!