Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Blogs > Bringer Of Funerals
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Rate this Entry

Exploitation Cinema Books

Submit "Exploitation Cinema Books" to Share On Facebook Submit "Exploitation Cinema Books" to Share via Twitter Submit "Exploitation Cinema Books" to Share With StumbleUpon
Posted 9th August 2010 at 03:40 PM by Bringer Of Funerals

I for some reason have been reading books about films, but not just any fillms, no... I have been reading about Spaghetti Western films etc, but that's not what this blog is about.

I need help on finding a few books on Exploitation Horror Cinema because I have been curious about this type of cinema for ages.

As you all know I am a horror film fan and basically the gorier the better for me. I have a few Vipco films from the Grindhouse style cinema and a few of the brilliant Shameless films.

So if you have any ideas what type of books are of this genre and are a decent read please tell me as any help will be helpful.

Thank you for reading.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1178 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Sam's essential reading list:

Sleazoid Express

This book is the 42nd St bible, looking not just at the films shown on The Deuce from the 50s to early 80s, but also the individual character of each grimy fleapit, the denizens who flocked to them and the large than life people who made and distributed the films.

Incidentily, for a full picture of New York in this period, it's worth picking up Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco. The same economic and social forces that led to the sleaze of Time Square are explained better in this book, alongside the history of a maligned but, once you start reading, fascinating musical form. The book is good even if you loathe the genre.

Nightmare USA

Pricey but huge tome on US independent horror of the 70s and 80s

Book of the Dead

Fabpress' Zombie bible. Wins points for not being overly focused on Romero movies (much as I love them...) with good chapters on the mildy racist poverty row voodoo flicks of the 30s and 40s, the Spanish Blind Dead flicks and many others, plus, pages of capsule reviews

DVD Delirium

Although the editions described in the three volumes of this series are now in many cases deleted, they were my guides when I started collecting on DVD and the reviews of the films still stand up, even if you'll never track down that early, super rare edition of Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs

Also work picking up from Fabpress is their book of Video Nasty Video art and their tomes on Japanese directoes Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer, Audition) and Shinya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo, Haze)
    Comment with Quote permalink
    Posted 9th August 2010 at 08:31 PM by Sam@Cult Labs Sam@Cult Labs is offline
  2. Old Comment
    As mentioned elsewhere, Jimmy McDonough's "The Ghastly Ones" is truly fantastic and makes a brilliant companion piece to "Sleazoid Express". "Sleazoid" has a great chapter on Michael and Roberta Findlay my favourite directors of the cinema of scum.

I've posted a list of all the horror/exploitation books I own on the horror film books thread. If any of the titles take your fancy, I'm more than happy to expand on the contents and what I thought of the book.
    Comment with Quote permalink
    Posted 10th August 2010 at 04:29 PM by Make Them Die Slowly Make Them Die Slowly is offline
Post a Comment Post a Comment
Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.