Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2017 04:03 PM

It looks really nice. Thank you.

Reminds me a bit of Ralph McQuarrie's classic work.

If i like the film it may be one to invest in.

profondo rosso 16th December 2017 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For any one interested in Fright Night this looks a fab book, limited to 1000 they only have 8 left. Note there is slight corner damage though if anyone plumps for it.

Attachment 199965

You’re So Cool, Brewster!
$29.95

Featuring:
– 278 full color pages
– Interviews with over 35 members of the original cast and crew,
– including archive interviews from Roddy McDowall
– Behind the scene of ‘Fright Night’ and ‘Fright Night Part 2’
– Over 300 behind the scenes photos
– Introduction by Andy Nyman (Deadset)
– Foreword by Reece Shearsmith (Inside No.9)
– Exclusive cover art by Graham Humphreys
– Collectors Hardback Edition
– Limited to 1,000 copies.
– And Much more…

Please note, these books have slight wear on the corners from shipping.

8 in stock

link:

You're So Cool, Brewster! - Tom Holland's Terror Time

Rob4 18th December 2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 554819)

i didn't know until this week that the hardback edition of American Gothic has an extra 110 pages. i was always going to upgrade but now i'm going to make sure its on the reading pile straight after xmas :sleighride:

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2018 07:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm currently reading Jonathan Sothcott's (Yes that Jonathan Sothcott - Brit trash producer auteur and bud of Sir Daniel of Dyer) - The Cult Films of Christopher Lee.

In comparison to the last film book i finished last weekend, Jonathan Rigby's Euro Gothic, Sothcott's prose feels like reading a Mister Men book.

It's certainly an easy read and rather enjoyable, in fact my only complaint is that the numerous colour plates are not captioned. That's fair enough as i am familiar with all the films discussed in the book but others without my years of reading and watching may not be so enlightened. However that's my only grumble so far, that and perhaps the design and layout which smacks of indie publishers.

There are one or two things i have learned such as Terence Fisher disliked The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as much as i did, although Sothcott seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more than myself and the director.

Eagle eyed folk may notice Roger Moore was but a CBE when this book was published in 2000.

That isn't my shadow on the Horror Express still by the way. It's part of the photo.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th February 2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 565612)
I'm currently reading Jonathan Sothcott's (Yes that Jonathan Sothcott - Brit trash producer auteur and bud of Sir Daniel of Dyer) - The Cult Films of Christopher Lee.

In comparison to the last film book i finished last weekend, Jonathan Rigby's Euro Gothic, Sothcott's prose feels like reading a Mister Men book.

It's certainly an easy read and rather enjoyable, in fact my only complaint is that the numerous colour plates are not captioned. That's fair enough as i am familiar with all the films discussed in the book but others without my years of reading and watching may not be so enlightened. However that's my only grumble so far, that and perhaps the design and layout which smacks of indie publishers.

There are one or two things i have learned such as Terence Fisher disliked The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as much as i did, although Sothcott seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more than myself and the director.

Eagle eyed folk may notice Roger Moore was but a CBE when this book was published in 2000.

That isn't my shadow on the Horror Express still by the way. It's part of the photo.

Jonathan’s a top bloke. May have to seek that book out and give it a read sometime.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 565630)
Jonathan’s a top bloke. May have to seek that book out and give it a read sometime.

He suggests Hammer's Dracula might well be 'the greatest horror film ever made'.

I agree with him there.

I like that he puts his own thoughts into the films which some similar authors don't always do.

I'm enjoying it, not sure why it's taken me 18 years to get round to reading it.

Susan Foreman 10th February 2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 565612)

Of course it's part of the photo. Everyone here knows you don't cast a shadow

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2018 06:47 PM

Jonathan Sothcott has hit a new low in his book on Christopher Lee.

He says of The Devil Rides Out.
Quote:

The Devil Rides Out is today regarded by the public as one of Hammer's best films, which it most certainly is not.

There are two basic problems with this film - first and foremost, the script, second, the cast.
It's not a joke either. He then goes on to dissect the film and finally claims Wheatley's novel is one of the "Very best horror stories ever written"

Rik 13th February 2018 06:59 PM

Seriously? I couldn’t finish the novel last time I tried reading it, bored the crap out of me! And, the film is definitely one of Hammers best non Dracula/Frankenstein films, he clearly knows bugger all :lol:

profondo rosso 13th February 2018 07:03 PM

I have to seek out this book Dem. Must say I agree the novel is fantastic although disagree the film is one of the weakest, its one if their best in my eyes.