Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

profondo rosso 13th February 2018 07:28 PM

Just picked it up for £8 inc postage off ebay. Decent condition also. Surprised I have not seen this one before. I have a tendency to buy any books on Lee, Cushing, Price etc.

profondo rosso 13th February 2018 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst I am on the film books thread, I backed a book all about the Scala Cinema on Indiegogo....https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...press-london#/

Attachment 201264

..from the page.....

A million people went through the doors of London's Scala cinema between June 1978-June 1993. Were you one of them? 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of the first Scala programme and 25 years since the cinema's closure. It’s time to tell the Scala’s story, what was on the screen and what happened behind the scenes at the world's greatest independent cinema during that turbulent time. A one-off, this incomparable book features for the first time the complete set of Scala programmes, and more.

I have to say I am no aficionado when it comes to this cinema and its history but do know it showed a lot of cult films over the years. Should be interesting to see the programmes, which are all contained, to see what they showed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 565934)
Seriously? I couldn’t finish the novel last time I tried reading it, bored the crap out of me! And, the film is definitely one of Hammers best non Dracula/Frankenstein films, he clearly knows bugger all :lol:

Wheatley isn't a great writer i don't think he's even a good writer.

Quite stodgy and hard to maintain any interest.

Rik 13th February 2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 565950)
Wheatley isn't a great writer i don't think he's even a good writer.

Quite stodgy and hard to maintain any interest.

Yeah, when I was in my teens I had a few of his books that I’d paid penny’s for at a second hand book stall in Halifax market (which is still there surprisingly) and I just couldn’t get into any of them, I ended up selling them back to the stall a few weeks later.
The only book of his I still have is The Devil and All His Works none fiction book, which is actually really good :nod:

nosferatu42 13th February 2018 10:28 PM

Same as, except for the Halifax bit.

'The Devil and all his works' is the only one i still own too.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 565960)
Same as, except for the Halifax bit.

'The Devil and all his works' is the only one i still own too.:nod:

The only one i have is obviously The Devil Rides Out. :lol:

Think i' still have The Haunting of Toby Jugg somewhere too.

Susan Foreman 27th March 2018 03:44 PM

This might be a fascinating read - Amazon UK £12.95, release date April 24th, 2018

"There is no denying that Meir Zarchi's I Spit on Your Grave (1978) deserves its title as one of the most controversial films ever made. While many condemn it as misogynistic, others praise it for raising uncomfortable issues about sexual violence. While its reputation as a cult film has undoubtedly been cemented by its unique position in the 1970s/80s exploitation era and the "video nasties" scandal, it has also become mythologized by its own official and unofficial franchises. David Maguire examines why the film still continues to provoke fierce debate forty years on, not only investigating the historical, social, and political landscape into which the film was first released-and condemned-but also examining how it is has inadvertently become ground zero for the rape-revenge genre because of its countless imitators. The book explores how academic study has reevaluated the film's importance as a cultural statement on gender, the conflicting readings that it throws up, the timeless appeal of its story as examined through folklore and mythology, and its updating to reflect contemporary issues in a post-9/11 world of vengeance and retaliation."

HOWEVER...

at only 140 pages, with the 'story' starting on page 6, and the index & notes starting on page 115, it looks like it's going to be a very thin read, with probably not a lot of new information for those who are familiar with the story, it's background and legacy

Demoncrat 15th April 2018 06:31 PM

Finished Gilliamesque. Felt it would be better suited here as tis more a series of reminiscences about his canon after he helps form Python etc. Slight but somewhat revealing in places, I do recommend this.

Dave Boy 20th August 2018 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On it's way. Can't wait for this to arrive.

Attachment 208023

Among the top-grossing Hollywood blockbusters of all time, Star Wars launched one of the most successful movie and licensing franchises in history. Yet much of the film's backstory was set in Britain, where the original trilogy was made and where early efforts at tie-in merchandising were spearheaded. The author provides a detailed account of the saga's British connection, including personal recollections of fans in the UK, exclusive interviews with staff members of Palitoy who took on the challenge of producing millions of toys, and the story of how a group of writers from the underground press in London combined with Marvel comics to produce the first Star Wars expanded universe.

Dave Boy 21st August 2018 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Out 15th November.

Attachment 208049

Hardcover: 304 pages
Product Dimensions: 27.9 x 26.7 cm

In celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of Planet of the Apes, the classic science-fiction film from 1968, The Making of Planet of the Apes tells the film and offers exclusive, never-before-seen photographs and concept art.
Based on Pierre Boulle's novel La Planéte de singes, the original Planet of the Apes was one of the most celebrated films of the 1960s and beyond. Starring Hollywood icons Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall, the movie struck a chord with the world and sparked a franchise that included eight sequels, two television series, and a long-running comic book. Now, five decades after its theatrical release, New York Times bestselling author J. W. Rinzler tells the thrilling story of this legendary Hollywood production—a film even Boulle thought would be impossible to make.
With a foreword by Fraser Heston, Charlton Heston's son, The Making of Planet of the Apes is an entertaining, informative experience that will transport readers back to the strange alternate Earth ruled by apes, and bring to life memorable characters such as Cornelius, Dr. Zira, Dr. Zaius, and Taylor, the human astronaut whose time-traveling sparks an incredible adventure. Meticulously researched and designed to capture the look and atmosphere of the film, The Making of Planet of the Apes is also packed with a wealth of concept paintings, storyboards, and never-before-seen imagery—including rare journal pages and sketches from Charlton Heston's private collection—as well as color and black-and-white unit photography, posters, and more unique ephemera.
Comprehensive in scope, The Making of Planet of the Apes is the definitive look at the original blockbuster film, a must-have for fans, film buffs, and collectors alike.