Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Dave Boy 21st November 2018 07:15 PM

Yep, that's for me. I was going to pre order it but it was £97 so thought that the price would come down or I would shop around.
Next I know it is £132!

All I know is one way or another that book is going to be mine.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 592803)
Yep, that's for me. I was going to pre order it but it was £97 so thought that the price would come down or I would shop around.
Next I know it is £132!

All I know is one way or another that book is going to be mine.

Thats a bit steep for me i'm afraid.

I said never again when i preordered the Star Wars Chronicles for £80 way back.

Dave Boy 21st November 2018 07:35 PM

STAR WARS CHRONICLES is a fantastic book. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 592806)
STAR WARS CHRONICLES is a fantastic book. :nod:

It is. :nod:

My copy is locked away in a cupboard. Can't have dust touching it. :lol:

Dave Boy 21st November 2018 08:02 PM

Right on. Mine is in a protective see through bag. Ha ha!

Dave Boy 16th December 2018 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Coming April 23rd :peace:

Attachment 211228

Comprehensive and definitive volume telling the complete story of how Alien was made, featuring new interviews with Ridley Scott and other production crew, and including many rarely-seen photos and illustrations from the Fox archives.
In 1979 a movie legend was born, as Twentieth Century-Fox and director Ridley Scott unleashed Alien and gave audiences around the world the scare of their lives.
To celebrate the movie's fortieth anniversary, author J.W. Rinzler (The Making of Star Wars) tells the whole fascinating story of how Alien evolved from a simple idea in the mind of writer Dan O'Bannon into one of the most memorable sci-fi horror thrillers of all time.
With brand new interviews with Ridley Scott and other key members of the original production crew, and featuring many never-before-seen photographs and artworks from the archives, The Making of Alien is the definitive work on this masterpiece of popular cinema.

Rob4 31st December 2018 04:02 PM

so i've just ordered the Ring boxset from Arrow. it's unusual for me to buy anything horror from the new millenium (yes, i know Ring is slightly earlier) (i have a few other j-horror's in my collection but they are currently unwatched), and outside of del Toro's Spanish language films i'm pretty much totally out of touch with modern horror.

anyway, to supplement my dipping my toe in the water, i thought i'd try and bone up on what happened in the noughties (all i've read so far is the modern section in English Gothic and Newman's revised Nightmare Movies), and to that end i was considering buying this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lives-Again...6274942&sr=8-2

has anyone read it? / recommend it?

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st December 2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 595216)
so i've just ordered the Ring boxset from Arrow. it's unusual for me to buy anything horror from the new millenium (yes, i know Ring is slightly earlier) (i have a few other j-horror's in my collection but they are currently unwatched), and outside of del Toro's Spanish language films i'm pretty much totally out of touch with modern horror.

anyway, to supplement my dipping my toe in the water, i thought i'd try and bone up on what happened in the noughties (all i've read so far is the modern section in English Gothic and Newman's revised Nightmare Movies), and to that end i was considering buying this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lives-Again...6274942&sr=8-2

has anyone read it? / recommend it?

Gut instinct if it was me i wouldn't bother. A paperback book under 200 pages for £25. :xmastongue:

Why not read the What Films Have You Seen? thread on the Labs. I don't think you can get better than that for modern horror.

Rob4 31st December 2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595218)
Gut instinct if it was me i wouldn't bother. A paperback book under 200 pages for £25. :xmastongue:

Why not read the What Films Have You Seen? thread on the Labs. I don't think you can get better than that for modern horror.

hehe, see what your sayin', but its only one decade, how long does it have to be?

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st December 2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 595225)
hehe, see what your sayin', but its only one decade, how long does it have to be?

I still think you'd be better off reading the reviews for films on here. For example i reviewed one today - The Girl With All the Gifts - which i thought was superb and others seem to agree it's a truly unique zombie film.